Author Topic: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829  (Read 19645 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Carson Boyd, county of oxford, 1829
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:27 BST (UK) »
Oh great Tom

I have just found his burial at St Peter le Bailey church

1810 Aug 28 Samuel Carson aged 72 wine merchant

the only other Carson entry I could see was another burial

1801 July 31 Mary Carson aged 61 - in the church

possibly Samuel's wife?

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:50 BST (UK) »

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
It seems that Mary was Samuel's wife,  I just found this reference

Mrs Mary Carson
Death notice/obituary Oxford wife of Mr. Saml, wine and spirit merchant.
Jackson's Oxford Journal, 1.8.1801.
Reference OPI-6998

Apparently they are both mentioned in the 1783 will of John Butcher of Oxford,  though there is no relationship stated.

I have been through the register transcripts for all the Oxford city churches which were around at that time and I can't find any other references to Carson or Boyd,  there are no male  Boyd marriages in the OMI and only one Carson one for a John of Wallingford in 1820 which I don't think fits in at the moment.

It seems that Samuel Carson moved to Oxford sometime prior to 1782 when I have found him as witness in a minor court case and that he was already married to Mary when they came.  Perhaps he sent for nephew Samuel Carson Boyd to join him as he and Mary had no children that I can find.

From the Freedom paper date S C Boyd was born about 1791,  was certainly in Oxford by 1812 and I can find no other reference to him after the horse stealing mention in 1829,  I can't find a marriage or burial or will for him and he doesn't seem to be around in the 1841 census.   :-\

Juding from the surnames of Carson & Boyd I suspect this family have connections to Ireland.
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 July 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
A bit more about Mary Carlson, her husband Samuel, and also some more about the nephew. I can't find anything about the court case, and nothing after that supposed court case, so my bet is that he left Oxford soon afterwards.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 1, 1801; Issue 2518.

On Sunday last, died, after a long and painful illness, greatly regretted by her family and friends, Mrs. Mary Carson, wife of Samuel Carson, Wine and Brandy Merchant, of this city.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, August 22, 1801; Issue 2521.

At a general meeting of the Subscribers to a loan for the purchase of Foreign Corn for the supply of Oxford instituted on 17th October 1800, holden this day:

List of Subscribers:  University of Oxford: £900
His Grace, the Duke of Malborough: £500
The Lord Bishop of Oxford: £100

Whole list of others including Samuel Carson £20.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, July 30, 1803; Issue 2622.

Samuel Carson subscribes £10 10shillings for another subscription for the City of Oxford.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, September 20, 1806; Issue 2786.
Monday last, Edward Lock Esq., Alderman of this city was elected by a great majority Mayor for the year ensuing, being the third time serving that office.
And on same day, Mr. Samuel Carson, liquor merchant, was elected Senior Bailiff of the city, who immediately paid the fine into the hands of the Treasurer, to excuse him from serving, that office: whereupon Mr. William Crump was duly elected Senior Bailiff in the room of the said Samuel Carson and Mr. John Cox was afterwards elected Junior Bailiff for the year ensuing.

St. Ebbe's Parish Church .
Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, April 6, 1816; Issue 3285

The Committee having obtained a detailed account of the old subscriptions received in the year 1814 and 1815 have thought it right to publish them:

Mr. S. C. BOYD: £1 1shillings

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, November 21, 1818; Issue 3422.

Ten Pounds Reward: STOLEN OR STRAYED, from Port Meadow, A DARK BAY BLOOD MARE  and colt, the MARE has been ricked in the back, is about 15 hands high, with some white in the face, and black legs; the colt is a horse colt, got by Doubtful, has a star in the face, with three white patterns and black hooves. If stolen, any person who will give such information that will lead to the apprehension of the offender shall receive the above reward; and if strayed any person returning that same to Mr. S. C. Boyd, of Oxford, shall be paid all expenses and satisfied for their trouble. Any person detaining them after this notice will be prosecuted. Nov, 20, 1818.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 29, 1820; Issue 3484.

TO WINE MERCHANTS AND OTHERS ;

TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION By Mr. Andrews:

At the Mitre Inn, Oxford, at Five o’clock in the afternoon, the LEASE AND GOOD-WILL  of a House  and Premises in the Wine and Spirit Trade, established for upwards of a century, in the most eligible part of Queen street, in the City of Oxford.

And on Wednesday the 9th of February will be sold by Auction By Mr. Andrews All the Stock in Trade, Household Furniture and other effects of Mr. S. C. Boyd who is declining the business.

By April 22 1820, the property was sold in Queen Street, because a Mr. Collier, placed an advertisement into the paper announcing he had taken over said premises and was selling household furniture, candlesticks and upholstery.

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, October 19, 1822; Issue 3625.

W. Slark: Saddler Returns his sincere thanks to the Gentlemen of the University and the public in general for their liberal support since the commencement vof his business in Broad-street, begs to inform them that he has removed to the House lately occupied by Mr. Boyd, liquor merchant near Magdalen Church, where hopes for a continuance of their favours.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 July 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
Further to the Irish Connection in 1862 and 1865, a Martha Carson Boyd held a licence at Whitesabbey, and  a Victoria Boyd took it over in 1865, information from the The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Monday, July 7, 1862; Issue 15322. (3470 words.

Tom

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 12 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie and Tom,
All of this information is so interesting and so appreciated. I really do feel that there has to be a connection between this Samuel Carson
Boyd and my Samuel Carson Boyd. I wonder if the Samuel from Oxford would have been young enough to have emigrated to Canada after 1829 and would be the father of my Samuel (actually the  Samuel who married into my Hart family line) who is supposedly born in Montreal, Quebec in 1835. Or possibly my Samuel born in England or Ireland and then emigrated by himself sometime before his marriage to Mary Hart in 1856. Still thinking Susannah Boyd, who married my second great grandfather Frederick Hart, just might be his aunt. She was reportedly born Oct 14, 1808 in Oxford and I can't find her parentage either. She married Frederick in 1831 in Canada.
I will definitely look into obtaining the will of Samuel Carson as other relationships might be mentioned or there might be a clue to Samuel Carson Boyd's parentage.  Should I google Oxford Record Office to find Samuel Carson's will? I have just calculated that if Samuel Carson
Boyd was born in 1791 he would be 44 when my Samuel born so possible to be his father. The elder Samuel Boyd would be 19 when Samuel Carson died.
Thank you both so very much.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy

This is the web-site for Oxfordshire archives services

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/public-site/oxfordshire-history-centre

They don't have a will index on-line  I have a printed copy which was where I found the reference I gave for the will - if you contact them (by E-mail?)  tell them you have the full details including the reference it might make obtaining a copy cheaper as a member of staff won't have to look it up for you.

I was thinking along the same lines of Samuel Carson Boyd born roughly 1791 (this is an estimate based on the guess of him being 21 when his freedom papers were issued)  possibly being the father of your Samuel Carson Boyd born 1835.  Though unless we can find some reference to the one from Oxford going to Canada a guess is all it can be.

:-\

DebbieG

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
I did already send an email quoting the reference you gave me.  Now I am awaiting their reply. I asked if they had a copy of the will
and how much it would cost. Thank you so much for all your wonderful help, both you and Tom. I did take particular note of a Martha
Carson Boyd in Ireland who may be connected to the family.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 July 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy - me again

i was just playing with Google and found this site

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/PM.cgi?terms=grey%20roots&mark=Search&Referer=Museum&LM=Gallery&LANG=English&scope=Gallery&start=7&AP=vmc_display&member=12&last=29

particularly this caught my eye

One of the very first pioneers to follow the surveyors and land agent and help form the new settlement of Sydenham Village was Mr. W. C. Boyd, who with his eldest brother, Samuel, had come out from Oxford, England in 1830 and landed at Quebec. Soon after their arrival, Mr. W. C. Boyd was joined by his fiancee from the Old Country and their marriage took place in Montreal

The W C stands for William Carson

further on

Mr. Boyd was joined by his brother, Samuel, who had been his companion in emigrating from their Old Country home. Mr. Samuel Boyd settled in Meaford and married a sister of Captain John McDougall. Mr. George M. Boyd of Owen Sound, a former member of the Legislative Assembly for North Grey, is a son of the pioneer, Samuel Boyd, and Mrs. Boyd. Mr. W.C. Boyd was also joined here by his parents, who lived out the latter part of their lives here and who were laid to rest in Greenwood Cemetery

:)