Author Topic: Murphy Family from Valentia Island  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Woodford87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy Family from Valentia Island
« on: Sunday 08 July 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate my great geat grandmother's family.
Mary Murphy was born circa 1825. I do not have any birth or marriage records for her but her brother Charles married Julia Goolden on the island and their father was stated as Michael Murphy. Griffiths Valuation has two Michael Murphys
on Valentia but I cannot confirm if one of these men is their father. Charles later had a shop in Knightstown.

Mary married John Keane from the Portmagee area circa 1850. They had 7 children, 5 survived to adulthood.

I cannot find Mary's mother's name or if there were more siblings or if the family originally came from Valentia.

All help gratefully received.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy Family from Valentia Island
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
RC parish baptism records for Valentia go back to March 1825, so you might be able find Mary's baptism. Most RC and CofI records for Co. Kerry are available free of charge on www.irishgenealogy.ie

I had a quick search, and there are a couple of Murphy baptisms in the 1820s in the Valentia records, but I didn't see anything likely for Mary..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Woodford87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy Family from Valentia Island
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 09:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.
The irish genealogy site you mention is very helpful and this is how I found the details I have. My Mary Murphy is probably listed there but I don't have enough details to confirm this and I can't find any more supporting information to help me.

What I need is a long lost cousin...

Thanks again.