Author Topic: St Marks Woodhouse Cemetery  (Read 7775 times)

Offline rossett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Marks Woodhouse Cemetery
« on: Monday 09 July 12 13:36 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were buried in St Marks Woodhouse cemetery Leeds.
Mary Taylor Nee Hargrave Died 1840 Mother
Edward Taylor                   Died 1855 Father
Margaret Ann Taylor          Died 1876 Daughter
Isabella Taylor                   Died 1906 Daughter

They all passed away in various parts of Yorkshire, but were all taken back to St Marks to be interred.
Does anybody know if they had a family plot and if other family members were interred there.

Regards Rose

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Marks Woodhouse Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
Rose,

A very warm welcome to Rootschat.

I don't know whether you are familiar with the website www.yorkshireindexers.co.uk .  The website has a database of burials registers of both parish and municipal cemeteries within the Leeds area and is an ongoing project.  St. Marks Woodhouse burials appear in their database.  There are 188 burials for the surname Taylor listed as taking place at St. Marks Woodhouse, three of whom you mention in your post.  Unfortunately grave numbers are not shown in the database so it is not possible to work out whether there is a family plot or not.

A subscription of £10/£12 per year is required in order to view the details held in the database.  If you are not in a position to take out a subscription I would be more than happy to post the details of the burials of the three people mentioned in your post and look for any further names which you might have.  Just let me know.

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline rossett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help CJL.
I have found the burial records for all 4 mentioned family in Ancestry.co.uk
As you say the plot numbers are not recorded.
Robert William Taylor (the son of Edward and Mary)
was also buried at St Marks  on 12th May 1889, he passed away in Barwick in Elmet.
I went to St Marks today for the first time, the graveyard is very overgrown. Do you know if we are allowed to look round the graveyard, I would not like to get into trouble or offend anyone.
My main objective is to go back a generation to find Edward and Mary's parents.
Thanks again for your help.
Regards Rose

Offline cjl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 July 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
Rose,

I am not sure that I have actually been of any help to you.  I am afraid that I do not reside in Leeds so am not familiar with St. Marks Church but I wouldn't imagine that you would either get into trouble or offend anyone by looking around the churchyard.

Yorkshire Indexers have some photographs of headstones which are  located in St. Marks Churchyard.  I had a look at the images but unfortunately there is not one listed for the Taylor surname. 

I am sorry that I have not been able to help you further your research. 

Best Wishes
CJL
Redshaw -  Yorkshire.
 Ireland - East Yorkshire,
Slater - East Yorkshire,
Petts - Yorkshire, Derbyshire,
 Hughes - Yorkshire, Staffordshire,
Blackham - Derbyshire, Staffordshire,
Mason - Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Huntingdonshire
Leach - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Driver - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Ambler - Thornton, West Yorkshire
Drake -  Thornton, West Yorkshire
Holland - Staffordshire, Durham
Owen - Staffordshire, Gloucestershire

Offline Romgen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Marks Woodhouse, Leeds
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 October 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
In response to a one year old message, I hope that I may be able to help with this query.
CJL mentioned previously that the St Marks Burial records are available, via subscription, on the Yorkshire Indexers website.

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/forum/content.php?1-home&tabid=59

As part of an ongoing ‘St Mark’s Woodhouse project’ the Yorkshire Indexers have photographed all of the visible, surviving Headstones and these along with a transcript of the relevant Memorial Inscription are currently being processed for upload to the Gallery section of the site. Where a Headstone is no longer visible or hasn’t survived, the MI (as recorded over 20 years ago) will be attached to a photograph of a ‘black cross’ and be surname searchable.

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/gallery/browseimages.php?catid=103&orderby=title&direction=ASC&cutoffdate=-1

Behind the scenes, information taken from the original Burial registers, Grave registers and Grave receipts is also being checked and collated into a new database… in future all of this information will be linked and made available through a new interactive Plan of the Churchyard. An invaluable resource which will be fully surname searchable and by clicking on a particular Plot, within the Plan, all the information available for that grave and its occupants will be displayed, including the Photograph & MI (if a stone exists) or the MI only (if stone hasn’t survived)

I have been able to locate your family, the following are all buried in Row 60 / Plot 23 & 24

Burial 
1555, Mary TAYLOR 1840
585, Edward TAYLOR 1855
754, Emily TAYLOR 1856
4078, Mary Elizabeth TAYLOR 1873
1410, Margaret Ann TAYLOR 1876
6054, Edward TAYLOR 1881
1680, Mary BLAND (nee TAYLOR) 1889
1688, Robert William TAYLOR 1889

Please find photograph of the grave and MI below – you may have to register on the site to view

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/gallery/showimage.php?i=53617&c=103

No sign of daughter Isabella TAYLOR in this plot… was her surname still TAYLOR when she died in 1906?

Regards,
Sara

Offline rossett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 October 13 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sara so much for your help. I was amazed to see the grave, my brother in law is going to take me to see it when he has the time.
Isabella did not marry.She passed away on 19th April 1906.She was brought back to St Marks from The Friends Retreat in York by her nephew Edward Sydney Horton.
Thanks again Sara
Regards
Rose

Offline rossett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 November 13 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sara
Yesterday I went to The West Yorkshire Archive in Wakefield to try and find Isabella in the burials, she is not there. I was so sure her nephew did the right thing and took her back to her family. I am so sorry I have wasted your time looking for her.
Hopefully I may find out more from the Borthwick Institute, they may have the records from when she went into York asylum and records of her time in The Friends Retreat. There is a mention of here in the National Archive with a reference number.
The death certificate for Mary Taylor who passed away in 1840 arrived this week. It is the strangest of documents.
1) There is no cause of death.
2) She died on the 5th June 1840 and was buried on the 10th June.
3) her death was not registered until 19th June 1840.
4) place of death - Horsforth.
Thanks to you we know she passed away at Bank House.
The registrar in Leeds must have thought the certificate strange as he sent me a copy of the original entry in the register of deaths.
Thanks for all you have done Sara, I shall let you know if I find out any more on Isabella and her mother Mary.
Kind regards
Rose