Author Topic: Norway: Ole Oleson Norby  (Read 5919 times)

Offline acircle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norway: Ole Oleson Norby
« on: Monday 09 July 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hoping to find info on Ole Oleson Norby, and his parents, he is my Great Great grandfather.

I believe he as born circa 1844

From some other sources he may have come to the US with his family when he was three years old
Possible siblings are Kari, Taran (born 1837?) and Gunhild (Julia) Norby

He married Bertha Augusta Brandvold b. 20, Sep 1856 from Grue, Hedmark Norway.

If you have any ideas or know of archives I can look at that would be awesome. I speak Swedish which is fairly similar linguistically and could work my way through a Norwegian site.

thx!

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norway: Ole Oleson Norby
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Try this
http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebFront.exe?slag=vis&tekst=meldingar&spraak=e

If you speak Swedish then you should have no problem figuring out the pages that are not in English.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 08:03 BST (UK) »
Here is the new site for the digital archives. http://arkivverket.no/eng/content/view/full/629

You are going to have a long trawl unless you can get Ole Olesens father's name (presumably begins with Ole) to be able to help you exclude some candidates. There are many Norby or Nordby farms (with smaller farms attached to them) in Norway so you would have to look through many parish registers as he will have left before the 1865 census. Family search can be helpful but not all registers have been transcribed and Ole Olsen is such a common name. You will need to find out if the possible candidates you find are still in Norway or not in 1865. You may find it easier to start with Taran as this is fairly uncommon.
kaysii

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Agree with kaysii, "Ole Olsen" would be very common indeed!

But there is some hope as you more or less know the names of parents and siblings!

Any idea where they came from? Grue in Hedmark too?

First name "Taran" also sounds strange to me, could it be an "Americanised" version of Torun - Thorun - Tora (female) or Tarald/Taral (male)

Just guessing...

I think Bertha Augusta's batism is #272 here:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8877&idx_id=8877&uid=ny&idx_side=-150

Jan in Norway
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline acircle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
This is awesome stuff thank you and yes that is Berthe's baptism, i have from other records her father being Arne Pedersen and mother Berthe hansdatter that was awesome to see thank you!!

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 20:45 BST (UK) »
I looked up the name Tar(r)an(d) in the 1865 census. It's a woman's name and there are 45 in Telemark, most commonly Sandøkedal og Skaa district, 26 in Buskerud 23 of which are in Aal, 11 in Oppland all in Søndre Aurdal, 4 in Aust Agder, 1 in Vestfold and 1 in Rogaland.

In 1801 there were 14 in Oppland all in Ourdahl district, 43 in Buskerud, of which 12 in Norderhov district, 28 in Aal district and 3 in Lier district, 2 in Vestfold,  37 in Telemark of which 5 are from Eidanger, 1 from Gjerpen, 4 from Bamble, 4 from Sannikedal, 1 from Solum, 3 from Holden, 6 from Bøe, 10 from Seude, 2 from Hitterdal and 1 from Scheen, there are 2 from Aust Agder and 2 from Stavanger in Rogaland.

I would therefore concentrate my research first in Telemark, Buskerud (mainly Aal) and in the Aurdal district in Oppland to find your family.

kaysii

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
You may find this link useful in locating the various districts.
http://www.disnorge.no/kart/dismap.php
The boundaries and names have changed over the years but if you click on a district and have genealogical resources listed you can find out how the parishes change. Sannikedal or Sandøkedal can now be found in Kragerø for instance.

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
The districts with the most Tarans: Aal and Sannikedal do not have farms named Norby or the equivalent although it is possible one of the smallholdings on a larger farm could be called that and not present on the census. There is a Nordbye in Norderhov, Buskerud and also in Aurdal in Oppland, so maybe these two parishes are better to start off with.

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
If your Ole Oleson came as a very young child it is possible that the Oleson came from his father's surname and is not his patronymic. It would be most useful to get the father's name from the marriage certificate as this should make it easier to confirm any findings.

Sør-Aurdal has a transcribed data base for many baptisms so may be easy to search.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/WebMeta.exe?slag=vismeny&fylkenr=5&katnr=&emnenr=&aar=&dagens=&knr=540