Author Topic: Redfern/Painter ??  (Read 10316 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Redfern/Painter ??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
I can't find that on NSWBDM.  ???

That sure makes her old when she married Frank. Could this have been who I thought was Clara II actually being Clara I, marriying for the second time.

Think I've confused myself.  :o

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
Excellent advice (as always) from Cando.   :)

Do you have access to Ancestry to look at the tree or do you need help from us.  If you have access make sure the tree is well referenced ie the sources are cited....and even then you still need to check them yourself and I understand ancestry give 'hints' that aren't always correct but people post the 'hints' to their tree.

From my resource

REDFERN Thomas Henry  born Manchester
PAINTER Clara  born London
1867  Reg#122

Cando

I always have trouble being brief, and so I apologise for this long contribution.... 

There are two main parts to Ancestry.   There's the section that has uploaded images and/or indexes that point to official records and then there's the section where individual members SUBMIT their interpretations of their family tree.    

If you don't have direct access, many NSW public libraries do offer terminals with access.   Of course only a very small part of NSW official records are actually available online to view, and Ancestry is not the sole provider offering those images.  

Here at RChat there are various Resources Boards, and as you are currently working back from yourself to your parents and then to their parents and further back, you can always rely on those Resources Boards to contain live links to help you do your own hunting out of official records.

Here's the link to RChat's Australian Resources Board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=165.0  and once you have got there, there's boards for each of the States and Territories.

Many of us 'regulars' have our own offline resources, and we are simply sharing the info from these with you and with other RChatters, just as we have been helped with our own enquiries about our own family trees.

You have one of the best addictions known.  I hope it will last your lifetime, and that it will help you bring great joy to your living family members.   Along the way you will find some skeltons perhaps, and it is up to you IF and HOW you choose to introduce that information to your family.    Just remember that each generation coped with the then conditions and social norms of those times, and what may have been a taboo subject for a Great Grandparent may be a well discussed topic today, and that today's taboo topics may well have been well discussed back in Grandparent's times.  

Have you armed yourself with some blank treecharts, and an old fashioned pencil and eraser yet?   These are still very very helpful at least to me when I am trying to figure out any RChatters complicated request for clues about their own forebears.  

Fingers crossed you will be considering ordering some NSW BDM certs and if so, you will NOT go overboard with the pennies, but patiently work through from the recent generations firstly.    If you are ordering NSW BDM certs, then may I suggest you consider ordering OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS to start.   These contain all the info on the 'real deal' certs and are cheaper, and can arrive as email attachments (usually pdf if you order that way).  

Here's the link to the NSW BDM family history indexes:   http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm  

Here's the link to the NSW BDM's official transcription agents :   http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm  

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:24 BST (UK) »
Marriage
821/1902    
REDFERN Herbert    
POUND    Mary A    
District Bathurst

Births  to Herbert and Mary to 1911
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0oln/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:29 BST (UK) »
Lovely photo, Cando.

Then how do we account for the birth in 1883?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
NSWBDM

Death:

62615/1973 Frank QUELCH father GEORGE and mother MARY registered in COWRA 

Jamjar

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
Re reply # 11

From the NSW Electoral Roll for 1903, for the Electorate of MACQUARIE, and polling place for Bathurst:

Herbert REDFERN, of Bentinck Street, a groom
Mary Agnes REDFERN of Bentinck Street, domestic duties

Eliza Jane POUND, of Bentinck St, domestic servant
Hannah POUND, of Morrisett St, domestic duties
Johannah POUND, of Bentinck St, domestic duties
Louisa POUND, of Bentinck St, domestic duties

NO OTHERS by those surnames at that polling place.

Cheers,  JM   (Agree Jamjar, that is a lovely photo on Cando's avatar thingy)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline The-Game

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that you have a look on Ance..try,

Looks like a daug of Herbert Redfern and Mary Agnes Proud married Frank Quench
Herbert's father Thomas Henry Redfern married Clara Painter in Melbourne 1867.

From the Ances..try tree looks like somebody has done a lot of research

Cass

That might be right, We're just as confused, my Aunty has tried find info but It's really hard, as my grandmothers mother who is Clare/a quelch (born Redfern) didn't bring her up. so it's hard finding info. But the thomas henry redfern marrying Clara Painter def sounds right. Just unsure where they fit in. And It makes it harder when my family are giving me details which make no sense.
Turner, Woodford, Pullen, weekes/weeks, Redfern.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jamjar....my late father remembered Louisa fondly.  She use to give him money [and a lecture] to cross Heidelberg Road, Fairfield to Murphy's sweet shop.  He lived with his grandmother and gt grandmother Louisa in Melbourne while attending primary school as his parents lived in a newly developing area of NW Vic. His father was keen for him to be well educated.  Louisa was bedridden during the last years of her life and she died in 1921 aged 85, when my dad was 11 years old.

I think the chatter means the birth of Mary A POUND was in 1883

12160/1883    
POUND Mary Agnes
Father Isaac Mother Johanna
District East Macquarie

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 07:45 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that you have a look on Ance..try,

Looks like a daug of Herbert Redfern and Mary Agnes Proud married Frank Quench
Herbert's father Thomas Henry Redfern married Clara Painter in Melbourne 1867.

From the Ances..try tree looks like somebody has done a lot of research

Cass

That might be right, We're just as confused, my Aunty has tried find info but It's really hard, as my grandmothers mother who is Clare/a quelch (born Redfern) didn't bring her up. so it's hard finding info. But the thomas henry redfern marrying Clara Painter def sounds right. Just unsure where they fit in. And It makes it harder when my family are giving me details which make no sense.

Perhaps a chatter who has birth to 1918 could look up to see if Clara REDFERN was born prior to that date. 

Cando