Author Topic: Murdoch Macleod of Brue  (Read 8140 times)

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdoch Macleod of Brue
« on: Wednesday 11 July 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find birth/death records for Murdoch (Murdo) Macleod from Reef / Brue, Parish of Barvas, on the Isle of Lewis, 19th century. He was married to Margaret (Peggy) MacAulay. She died 10th Apr 1897. in the village of Brue. I've tried ScotlandsPeople site but found nothing definite.

Thanks, J

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch Macleod of Brue
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 17:46 BST (UK) »
Does Margaret's death cert indicate her husband was still alive or does it show her as a widow

How old was Margaret when she died 

If you have them on any census - where was Margaret born and when was Murdoch born
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Murdo died in 1889 (you'll get the exact date from the certificate which you can view on <a href="http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk">ScotlandsPeople</a>. You will not get birth/baptism records for Murdo, as baptisms were not recorded in the Parish of Uig until 1824, and even then the coverage was not systematic (even within the one family).

Murdo was the son of Donald Macleod (ca. 1778- ) and Christina Maciver (c. 1793- ) and was born in Reef. Reef was cleared (eviction notices were issued in 1848/1849) and some of its inhabitants ended up around Brue.

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 12 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information, I appreciate your help.

Regards, J

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 April 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
see below:  Donald Macleod (ca. 1778- ) and Christina Maciver (c. 1793- )---- where did these circa dates of birth come from? Are there death certificates or census details for this couple?

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 14 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Murdoch Macleod 1816-89 and his wife Margaret Macaulay 1823-98 came from Reef in Uig Lewis to 25 Brue in 1850 with their young family of Catherine (1843) Kirsty(1846) and Donald (1848). Another child,Margaret was born in 1850 but died in infancy. Afterwards 3 more children were born; Rebecca (1852),John (1855) and Murdo (1860). I am a grandson of Murdo (1860-1944) and I am living on the actual land occupied by my great grandfather Murdoch in 1850. Rebecca Macleod(1852) married Norman Macaulay of South Bragar in 1870; John Macleod(1855) married Margaret Ann Corrigill from Orkney in1882; Murdo (1860-1944) married Ann Mackenzie, 8 High Borve in 1886.
Of the first children 4 children in the family, only Catherine survived into old age---unmarried----she died in 1936 at 25 Brue .  :)    ------ Angus Macleod.

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 December 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus

Thanks for this information. Murdoch's son John (1855-1914) is my great grandfather. He moved with his wife Margaret and family to Glasgow where my grandfather Donald (1895-1937) was born.

I am delighted to learn that there are still Macleods living at the same location at Brue. I found a site Hebridean Connections excellent for tracing back family from Reef and Croir.

Regards

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jiesy, It was my cousin Tony in Australia who noticed your interest in our great grandparents-------- this Chat-Space is new to me. I did some research into John`s family---- in 1891 Census in Stornoway, in the 1901 census in 17 Campbell St. Maryhill and in 1911 in 43 Kelvinside Avenue.
The only member of the family that I have information on is John Murdo 1891-c1930. He married a Mary Wilson and lived in Mount Florida. His grand daughter, Catherine Macleod 1956- from East Kilbride visited Brue some years ago. At the present time Cathie is married in the Isle of Skye to Allan Macfarlane in Skeabost. Her daughter Sharon  and husband William Macleod are presently building a new home in Upper Barvas, scarcely 2 miles from here. By the way, I see from the 1911 census that your Donald 1896- 1937 was a glassmaker. As he died aged 41 years I wondered if this was an unhealthy occupation. Kindest regards, Angus

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 December 14 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus
My grandfather Donald was a shipwright when he died so he must have changed his trade. His family must have lived at 43 Kelvinside Ave for many years as my mother was born there in 1930.
I've done a bit of research on Murdoch Macleod's parents - Donald Macleod(c1778-1841/51) and Christina 'Cursty' Maciver (c1794-1882). It seems the family moved to Callanish after being evicted from Reef, where Cursty died. The death certificate 9th July 1882 has her as a widow and her parents as John Maciver and Rebecca Macdonald.
Do you have any idea why my John Macleod met and married his wife in Orkney? I don't know if there was seasonal work that took Lewismen to Orkney then. Regards.