Author Topic: Murdoch Macleod of Brue  (Read 8139 times)

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch Macleod of Brue
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 14 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jiesy,  Thanks for that. Donald Macleod of Reef must have died between the 1841 and 1851 censuses as in the 1851 census his widow Kirsty is living on a croft in Breasclete Park(Callanish) with the unmarried members of her family. The three oldest sons were married by this time and they obtained crofts elsewhere, Murdo at 25 Brue, Kenneth at 21 Brue (he emigrated to Ontario in 1863) and Norman who was married in Mangersta, Uig.
John Macleod 1855-1914 was involved in the seasonal fishing and this is why he was in Orkney in 1882. He returned with his wife Margaret to Brue , staying for some time until they removed to Stornoway. (The ruins of the house where they lived whilst in Brue is still known). The first daughter, Williamina was born in Stornoway. During his time in Stornoway he was employed as a butcher and the story goes that he could skin a sheep in 4 minutes------ some feat. Regards, Angus

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus
If you are interested in old maps showing Brue I have a good site to visit. Go to 'Scotlands Places',
click on the county of Ross, click on 'refine by parish' under the map on the screen, click on Barvas, click on one of the three scale map choices. Brue is map sheet 8. There are maps from 1850s and 1890s.
You might be able to pick out your house!

Regards, J

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jiesy, Yes , I have now had a look at Scotlands Places and it is an interesting site. I have, over the years collected maps of the area ,and the map of Brue in the late 1840's shows a blank space before the land was allocated to the Reef evacuees.  Some 11 families from Reef were given 7 acre Crofts in Brue --- from No.18 to No.28 but many of them left the area soon afterwards and only the present Mackinnons at No 18 and the Macleod at No 25 are descended from the original settlers. At present there are still 28 crofts in the village and about 50 houses---------- some of these unoccupied from time to time. Only a few crofters in the village have livestock----- ranging from Charolais to Highland cattle and sheep from Scottish Blackface, Cheviots and Hebrideans. My daughter will soon be the fifth tenant of this particular croft and my Hebrideans will soon be her responsibility! Regards, Angus.

Offline Murdo MacLeod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angus,

I am John Murdo MacLeod, grandson of John Murdo MacLeod and Mary Wilson, brother of Catherine - Skye. I was named after my grandfather and the story goes that my father had to go and ask permission for this from his brothers and sister. Mary Wilson, my grandmother told me that as an adult I resembled her John not only in looks but also by my mannerisms and the fact that I smoked a pipe.

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello John Murdo,
I was delighted to receive your e-mail yesterday. I understood from sister Catherine that you live/lived in England and according to the birth year she gave me you will soon be heading for retirement.
Personally I have enjoyed my retirement very much--------------- I was able to retire at 59 years some 23 years ago------ involving myself with various voluntary local endeavours since then.
I have been fortunate to inherit good Macleod and Maclean genes and at 81+ do not need to take any medication. It possibly helps that I gave up the smoking habit many years ago but I still enjoy a dram as a nightcap. My main hobby is genealogy and especially family. Kind regards, Angus Macleod.
PS. Your second cousin JIESY has not been to the fore for some time and it would be good if she or another family historian could send me any information on other members of John & Margaret Ann Macleod's family. 

Offline Murdo MacLeod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Angus and thanks for the speedy reply.
Are we related in any form?
I now live in Poland with my Polish wife where I am an English language consultant/teacher and have been here for ten years now. I proudly wear my MacLeod kilt very often(least excuse) and enjoy the dubious status of being the only Scot in this city. Is it possible to post photos here?
I notice that you are a genealogist and wondered if you could tell me if I am at all related to a Mary Anne MacLeod 1912-2000 from Tong on Lewis.
I look forward to your response and wish you well.

Offline Angus Macleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello John Murdo,
It is quite some years, maybe 20 years or more, since your sister Catherine supplied me with the family details------- so it is news to me that you are now resident in Poland.
John Macleod1855 -1914, your great grandfather, was born at croft no. 25 Brue where I am now the "resident" Macleod--------------- my grandfather Murdo Macleod 1860-1944 was John's younger brother. This makes me and your late? father, Douglas Macleod---- second cousins.
I also had information from Catherine that your brother David lived in Great Yarmouth and I wonder if he is still there.
John & Margaret Ann Macleod had 9 Children, the first five were born in Stornoway and the last four were born in Glasgow. I do not know how many of these children were married with families but I would not be surprised if the living descendants numbered well over 100 persons.
Macleod is the most common surname on the Isle of Lewis and I can advise you that Mary Ann Macleod, Donald J. Trump's mother was not even closely related to the Brue Macleods.
Mary Ann was born in the village of Tong on the opposite side of the Island from Brue.
It is possible to send pictures as attachments so I would welcome a picture of youself wearing your Macleod kilt in Poland. My kilt no longer fits me but I did wear it often in my younger days.

Wishing you and your wife the best,

Cousin Angus.

Offline JIESY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angus,

I've not done any Macleod research for a while. Info that might be of interest: my grandfather, Donald Macleod (1895-1937) married an Irish girl, Margaret Kavanagh in Glasgow. They had four children: William (died during the war with no issue), Dorothy (married with no issue), Violet, my mother, and Colin (two daughters). So unfortunately, this branch has no males to carry on the Macleod name.

Regards, John M Hunter (Jiesy)