Author Topic: school terrace, crigglestone, wakefield  (Read 3799 times)

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
school terrace, crigglestone, wakefield
« on: Thursday 12 July 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
hi there, does anyone know where this is or was, I live locally and cant find this address on any maps or any info if I just google it. It may have been on the high st or in newmillerdam as the address is connected to a person who lived in those areas too and both of them have old schools (now converted). any help much appreciated as ever

b.t.w also trying to locate 'beechcroft' on standbridge lane, kettlethorpe, wakefield, may have been renamed or demolished as once again I cant find it or any reference to it, anyone remember it?

thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: school terrace, crigglestone, wakefield
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you give some idea of a timescale please
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:09 BST (UK) »
hi there, 'beechcroft was in existence in 1939 (named as residence on a will) and School terrace, crigglestone in 1911 (address given on census.)
thanks

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
Put

'Crigglestone nursery school' in google search

click on the map

Ignore the the Red A on the maps

Find the bus stops in Satellite close view in High st (Right of the red A )

Go to street view by draging the yellow man over the bus stops
and use the wheel on your mouse  by fingering the wheel forward to go into street view

On street view see the school, to the right of the school is a row of 6 White-ish terrace houses

That is school terrace row (Row of terrace houses), High street Criddlestone

........................................................................................................

There is a Beachcroft off School lane in Walton nor far from Milnthorpe
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline vnicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
hi there, thanks so much for that, I couldnt find schhol terreace at all so well done! Ive looked at it on google maps and know exactly where it is - Im going to nip out and take a quick pic for my research. As for 'beechcroft' I know its not in walton as the will states that it is/was on standbridge lane, kettlethorpe, wakefield - its probably not called that any more if it still exists so I may have to ditch trying to find that. thanks again for your help its much appreciated
vnicholson

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 12 13:13 BST (UK) »
I would ask at a local old folks home in Crigglestone!, someone will know summat
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know if Beechcroft still exists but it was my maternal grandparents' home. My grandfather, James Inman, was a coal merchant who died in 1939 I think, just before my parents were married. My grandmother died when I was about four, probably 1951, and the house was sold after that. We do have photos taken outside the house. I am curious as to why you want to know about it - might we be related?

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beechcroft, Standbridge Lane, Crigglestone, Wakefield
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 September 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Oops - my grandfather's name was actually Harry Inman, not James, and my grandmother was Mary. Harry was the son of Martha Jagger of Crigglestone and Seth Inman of Swillington.  Beechcroft was their house until they both had died by the early 1950s.

Offline vikki87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 May 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there, sorry its been so long for me to reply, I had a baby 14 months ago and dont get much time to do my research now...........anyway I am distantly related through my father to the Inman family (my great grandmother was Rhoda Inman) I've been researching the branches local to me as I live in Hall Green, Wakefield and in particular Fred, Harry, Seth, Ezra etc and their connections to The Station Pub at Great Cliff and The British Oak on Denby Dale Road (where i met my husband purely coincidentally!) I would love any pictures you have of the house to put in my ancestry file and also to go and have a look and see if the house is still there/identifiable from the picture. Many thanks
Vikki