Author Topic: school terrace, crigglestone, wakefield  (Read 3800 times)

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: school terrace, crigglestone, wakefield
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Congrats on your baby and I am sure your time is limited now! Either the house no longer exists or the name Beechcroft is no longer used. I was too young when my grandmother died to remember much about it. I looked at the pics I have and they are of the back and just a corner of the house as the object was actually my mum with my brother. I will ask him if he remembers a street number or a location on Standbridge Lane.

Offline vikki87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 May 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think the house may still exist but they all have numbers now whereas years ago they had names, there was 'beechcroft', 'fernbank' and another 3 houses with names like plants/trees too, there is a row of houses along the road before you get to the cemetery lodge house on left and none are new so maybe??? Thank you for trying to find more info for me it's much appreciated... Vikki

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Vikki - Here is what my brother replied - I just had a look at Beechcroft on Google Earth. If you can find Standbridge lane (Crigglestone), Beechcroft is about five houses from the end of the road with an unmistakable beech hedge. It’s a detached house part of which is a built on laundry.

He also said: I remember that we used to go on walks, in which the most frequent was ‘rahnd endle’,or to give it it’s true name, Hendal Lane. We also used to go the other way, to the cemetery in which our Grandma Inman, and Aunt Margaret are buried.

If you can find it, maybe you could send me a photo!

Joan

Offline vikki87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan, thankyou for your reply, i've looked on google earth and is Beechcroft the house with the hedge to its right (4th from the end of the road) or the bungalow next to it with the hedge on its left (5th from then end of the road) the hedge separates the two houses if you see what i mean.... Your brother has mentioned places I am very familair with as I live locally still and must have walked past the house hundreds of times when I used to go to kettlethorpe high school, I have also visited the cemetary and taken photographs of the Inman graves relating to our family although I do not think Im came across one with 'Margaret' on it..... I dont have the Inman file here with me now as my Mum has it to look through but from memory did your auntie Margaret have a sister Marion and a brother Jack??

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
I'll need to try again with Google Earth as I couldn't see how to get a street view. My brother lives in Scotland and I am in the US or he could show me! 

Marion was my mum and Jack was my uncle. I would have thought my grandfather Harry would be buried there too but maybe not.

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Ok, I got it - just needed to zoom in more.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Ok, I got it - just needed to zoom in more.

INMAN of Beechcroft Standbridge-lane Crigglestone -- Wakefield 1939

http://www.haine.org.uk/toms_wills/wills_grantors_detail.php?surname=inman&parish=Wakefield
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline vikki87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Joan, gosh youve spread abit further than my lot have !!!! Google earth can be a bit of a pain to navigate, with mine I drag the little yellow man in the top corner onto the street and get street view but as said I'm unsure which house is Beechcroft , both the house and the bungalow are detached.. As far as I am aware Harry is not buried in the cemetary although Martha and Fred and their infant son are (think ive remembered right) I have photos of most of the burials in that cemetary relating to the Inmans, when I get the file back from my mum i'll send you the pics I have, I also have church ecords from Chapelthorpe relating to school entry forms for Margaret, Marion and Jack and children of Harrys brothers (if I can figure out how to do that on here). I remember researching your branch and I think Jack had a son called David and lived in Crossgates, Leeds working as a newsagent....Thinking about it I also have Harrys brother Arthurs war record from ancestry that has a hand writen letter by him in it, briefly he is asking his superiors for more time on leave as he is a widow with two children aged 5&7 named Ronald and Winifred, (his first child was unfortunately stillborn) and nobody to care for them, he also talks about losing money he needs from selling vegetables from his garden if he returned to service (his first wife Sarah Ann died 10 years after their marriage in 1905 from 'Graves disease' and although he married again that wasnt until 1928, really interesting but heartbreaking really x

Offline jomarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 16:45 BST (UK) »
I sent you a PM so we can continue by email. 

Joan