Author Topic: Starkie/Starkey  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Starkie/Starkey
« on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for information on Grace Starkie b.abt. 1806 Yorkshire. She married Stephen Myers 8th June 1840 Barnoldswick.  1841 She is listed with Stephen and his children by a previous marriage ( not yet found ) The marriage cert says she was spinster and her father's name Mark .I have found no trace of Mark or a birth for Grace. Listed 1841 also is Margaret Starkie b.1829. I doubt if she was a sister to Grace. She could be an illegitimate child, or was Grace lying, covering a previous marriage ?  Any ideas ? Roy
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Starkie/Starkey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 July 12 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you have access to Ancestry.co.uk?
There is a tree on there for this family.

It gives Grace's parents as

Henry Starkie 27th August b1786 Padiham Lancashire and

Ann Hirst b1786

marriage 17th February 1806 Padiham Lancashire.

It gives Stephen Myers first marriage  as
Ellen Holdsworth on 2 March 1829 Barnoldswick.

Of course, you will need to check all this but it is a starting point for you.

Heather

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Aussie Roy,

The information Heather has given you from the tree on Ancestry has possibly been obtained from the Family Search site.

The marriage of a Stephen Myers to Ellen Houldsworth in March 1829 - Barnoldswick is shown on there. In addition the birth of William Miers -- father Stephen Miers and mother Ellin -- in November that same year is also on there -- in Barnoldswick -- but no marriage to Grace.

In 1841, on the same page of the census as Grace and Stephen -- is a Wilkinson Starkey with a rounded down age of 15 years.

He is also on Family Search with parents another Wilkinson and Betty. Hence there does seem to be a clutch of Starkies (or variants) in Barnoldswick.( A Grace Starkie was also registered at the Baptist Chapel in Barnoldswick in 1821 -- parents John and Sarah Starkie).

Just in case you don't know this -- Barnoldswick is on the county border between Lancashire and Yorkshire -- familiarly known as Barlick!

I know this doesn't find what you are looking for -- but may nevertheless come into the picture at some point.

Regards June
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I havn't found Grace's baptism but what I can say is Barnoldswick was part of Yorkshire on the boundary in these years

This nonconformist register says Yorkshire

National Archives Reference RG4/3930

Register of Births and Baptisms at Bridge Baptist Chapel in Barnoldswick, Yorkshire from 1785 to 1837,

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 July 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Use this website

Put just Starkie in the search engine.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Baptisms: 17 May 1807 St Leonard, Padiham, Lancashire, England
Grace Starkie - Daughter of Henry Starkie & Ann
    Born: 3 Nov
    Abode: Padiham
    Register: Baptisms 1791 - 1821 from the Bishop's Transcripts, Entry 56

Alternatively

Go to any Library and use their free access library edition of Ancestry.com as they have most of the Yorkshire Parish Registers indexed in their search engine

Nonconformist

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

National Burials
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/search-menu/life-events-bmds
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 July 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the family are stilll in Barnoldswick - and the eldest daughter born to Grace and Stephen is named 'Ann' - which may indicate that Grace's mother was called Ann (as in the Padiham baptism for a Grace).

In addition a son has been named 'Mark' -- and there is a 27 year old Mark Starkey living next door! How curious in view of Grace saying her father was named Mark. You would think a Mark would come into her lineage somewhere.

This merely an observation and of no help whatsoever!!

June
Places of interest;

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 July 12 11:06 BST (UK) »
In 1851 the family are stilll in Barnoldswick - and the eldest daughter born to Grace and Stephen is named 'Ann' - which may indicate that Grace's mother was called Ann (as in the Padiham baptism for a Grace).

In addition a son has been named 'Mark' -- and there is a 27 year old Mark Starkey living next door! How curious in view of Grace saying her father was named Mark. You would think a Mark would come into her lineage somewhere.

This merely an observation and of no help whatsoever!!

June

I think it Helps  ::)

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 July 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. I made a mistake. I did have Stephen's 1st marriage.  I did look at Henry Starkie a few years ago and rejected him because it didn't match the marriage certificate or where Grace said she was born. (unless Padiham was Yorks back then ).  Stephen also had a brother Mark.  With the records available on ancestry today , i.e. Grace's baptism I have now accepted that it is she.  Margaret still not accounted for.   Thanks again, now to track down Henry & Ann
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 July 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi again Aussie Roy,

Although Padiham is in Lancashire -- it's not that far away from Barnoldswick ( which is classed as Yorkshire). Strangely my gt gt grandmother migrated the other way!!

It may be that the Starkey family moved to Barnoldswick when Grace was very young -- so she just THOUGHT she was born there. Incidentally Henry and Ann Starkey appear to have had a son Henry - also born in Padiham. Those were the only 2 children I could see born in Padiham to that couple.

Good Luck with your research.

Regards June
Places of interest;