Author Topic: Hospital sargeant  (Read 3773 times)

Offline gjmorris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital sargeant
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 July 15 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiki,
I too am trying to trace the origins of my Great Great Grandfather, George Thomas, who came to NZ with one of the Imperial Regiments about 1860ish. All I know is that he was born in about 1826, was possibly Irish, and could have been in either the 65th, 70th, 18th or 57th Regiments (each one had a George Thomas). He settled in Auckland NZ and later married Delia Shanaghan sometime between 1864 and 1872. Their son, also a George Thomas, was my Great Grandfather.
Do you think we're looking for the same person?

Cheers,
Grant

Offline Tiki1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant,
No I don't think so as my George Thomas married Catherine Hewitt in India. He was a hospital sargeant in the 70 th regiment and I was able to trace his records. The names of officers are recorded on the rolls. So that leaves the 65th, 18th and the 57th. There are many pension records you can look up. Do you have their marriage record?
Tiki
Robinson New Zealand/ Ireland
Lynch England/Ireland
Huett New Zealand/India
Kennedy Durham, England
Lord England
Daffern England

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 August 15 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant

Findmypast list 46 George Thomas' serving in Qtr2 1861 and about the same number in 1871. You need to concentrate on finding the marriage - date and whether he was still serving. If you know for certain that your man had left by 1871 then you can eliminate some.

Where did you got your four regiments from? You cannot exclude regiments recorded as serving in NSW for example. They sometimes had a detachment or two in NZ. The recorded station is where the CO was based.

If you know when he died a death notice in a local newspaper may give his military service.

Ken

Offline gjmorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 03:18 BST (UK) »
Tiki - thanks very much for your response. Unfortunately I've got nothing on him and can't find any marriage or death records, which makes me think he may have used another name.

Ken - thank you too for chipping in. I hadn't considered the Australian based units but will investigate now.