Author Topic: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull  (Read 19721 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mclean's from the Isle of Mull
« on: Saturday 14 July 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I hope that this doesn't get confusing, but I am trying to trace back the Mclean side of my family.

It starts with Donald Mclean born 1777 Inverchaolain, Bute, Scotland. He married Married Christina Mcphee and they moved to Australia.

From there back I have Donald's parents as John Mclean born 1750, Taunich Inverchaolain. Died 1830, Taunich and mother as Margaret Mcpherson, 1st August 1750, Inverchaolain they married 27 November 1776.

I have John Mclean's parents as Lachlan Mclean born 1714, Taunich Inverchaolian and Christiann White, married 1736 in Glentarsin.

Lachlan Mclean is the so of John Ardfinaig Mclean born 1680's Ardfenaig, Isle of Mull. And Catherine Mclean who married 16th July 1705, Ardfenaig, Isle of Mull.

John Ardfinaig Mclean son of Donald Killean Ross (of) Mull Mclean - born 1665 Kingerloch who married Mary Mclean.

From there back I get confused. I have Donald Killean Ross Mclean's father as John Garbh Mclean, but I am not sure if that is right.

I am looking for other people who might be tracing the same family line of Mclean's or someone knowledgable about the Mclean's from the Isle of Mull and around Inverchaolain. I'm not even sure if what I have so far is accurate so any help is very appreciated :)

Rebecca

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca

Have you had a look at the information on this site http://mullgenealogy.co.uk/

You have been very successful in tracing back so far  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 12 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes I discovered that site last night, it was very helpful. It seems like my Mclean's left Mull around the 1700's. I would love to find other people who might be researching the same people :) I am not sure if what I have done so far is right or not.

Offline Don.Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Donald McLean and Christina McPhee who migrated to South Australia on the Navarino in 1837.   They settled in Strathalbyn and they died there - Donald in 1855 and Christina in 1869.

A big red book (BRB) has been written about their descendants.  It has a great deal of information, possibly including your family.  Are you aware of this BRB?  If not, you can contact the Strathalbyn Museum or I can help you get a copy of the sections you are interested in.

Did you know that this Donald and Christina came from Duisky in Argyleshire - not from Mull.   

The question is :  Is this the same Donald and Christina you are researching?

If it is the same, then I think you are pursing the wrong line.   The parents of the Donald I know were possibly Allan McLean and Rachel Rankine.  However there are a few other possibilities - Anna (unknown surname) with Allan McLean, or Margaret McBean with Alexander McLean,  or maybe Rachel Rankin with John McLean.  I doubt your suggestion of Margaret McPherson with John Mclean of Inverchaolain .

You posted your query 6 months ago, but if you are still interested, I would be glad to hear from you - for our mutual benefit.

From Don Gordon. 

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Donald McLean and Christina McPhee who migrated to South Australia on the Navarino in 1837.   They settled in Strathalbyn and they died there - Donald in 1855 and Christina in 1869.

A big red book (BRB) has been written about their descendants.  It has a great deal of information, possibly including your family.  Are you aware of this BRB?  If not, you can contact the Strathalbyn Museum or I can help you get a copy of the sections you are interested in.

Did you know that this Donald and Christina came from Duisky in Argyleshire - not from Mull.   

The question is :  Is this the same Donald and Christina you are researching?

If it is the same, then I think you are pursing the wrong line.   The parents of the Donald I know were possibly Allan McLean and Rachel Rankine.  However there are a few other possibilities - Anna (unknown surname) with Allan McLean, or Margaret McBean with Alexander McLean,  or maybe Rachel Rankin with John McLean.  I doubt your suggestion of Margaret McPherson with John Mclean of Inverchaolain .

You posted your query 6 months ago, but if you are still interested, I would be glad to hear from you - for our mutual benefit.

From Don Gordon.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply. This information is what I have got from another family member, so as to it being accurate or not then I can't really be sure of that.

What I have been given is Donald Mclean born 1772, Fort William, Inverness. I have his parents as Alexander Mclean and Margaret Mcpherson. I have always wondered about this date of birth, it seemed werid to me. There is a large number of people on ancestry.com who also have this same information as me.

I have Christina McPhee as born 1791 in Fife.

I am related through their daughter Mary Mclean born 1818 who married Adam Abercrombie in 1840 and died Strathalbyn 1889.

Does this seem to fit with the same Mclean family that you are related to? I would be interested to see what information you have and how it differs from mine. I will send you my e-mail address.

Offline Don.Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Good news, we are researching the same family.

INFORMATION

It is worth looking at :-
•   The big red book (BRB) “The History of Donald and Christina Mclean and their descendants” – printed in 1995
•   “Their Name Liveth” by John Mathews – printed in 1998                                                         
I can help you get copies or extracts if you have not already come across them.

DONALD

It is interesting that you say that there is a large number of people on ancestry.com who have his parents as Alexander and Margaret.  This might not be correct.  The reason I think that they are NOT his parents is that there are no indications that they were living in the general area of Fort William.  It is certain that Donald had connections with Duisky which is next to Blaich – both of these are near Fort William, across Lock Eil.

As I see it, the alternatives are :-
•   16th May 1772 - The BRB has Donald born in 1772 but this has not been able to be confirmed.  GROS, the General Register Office of Scotland is the government body responsible and they operate a website www.scotlandspeople.gov.au.  A search of parish records for Kilmallie, Argyll on this website did not find birth records for a Donald McLean in 1772.  Maybe it was never registered.  This date might still be correct as, although someone might guess the year, 1772, perhaps based on a statement of how old he was at a certain time, but it is not likely that someone has guessed the 16th May – so where did this come from?  We need to check the sources which were accessed by the BRB.
•   23rd October 1774 – Donald McLean, son to John McLean and Christian McLean in Blaich (ref Scotland’s People, OPR births 520/00 0010 0011, Kilmallie, Argyll).  This is the one nearest to the BRB.  But the family bible indicates that his father was Alan (p6 of BRB).
•   17th September 1777 - Donald McLean, son of Duncan McLean and Catherine McMillan in Blaich (ref Scotland’s People, OPR births 520/00 0010 0029, Kilmallie, Argyll).  But again, the family bible indicates that his father was Alan (p6 of BRB).
•   26th September 1779 – Donald McLean to Allan McLean & Rachel Rankon in Blaich (ref Scotland’s People, OPR births 520/00 0010 0040, Kilmallie, Argyll).  This is the only one which is consistent with a note in the family bible (held at the Strathalbyn Museum)   

CHRISTINA

I have no better indications about Christina McPhee’s birth except, as you say, she was born in 1791.  Her father might have been Ewen McPhee and mother Mary.  You say she was born in Fife but if so, I wonder how she met Donald as this is a long way from the Fort William area.

MARY

The following is the information that I have put together about Mary.  Most of this is from the BRB.

Mary – born 2nd April 1818, baptized 5th April 1818 in KIlmarlie.  Her parents were Donald and Christina.
•   1st husband : Adam ABERCROMBIE. Married on 29th Sept 1840 (ref Bev Hofman).  It is reported that Mary and Adam were living in Hindley Street Adelaide in 1841.  (H, p13) In 1846, when Donald was preparing his will, he named Adam as one of the executors - at this time he was a dealer in timber of Hindley Street, Adelaide.  The will left him one of the lots in Hindley Street (maybe the place he was currently living) – it was number 4 and was only 16 feet wide because there were complications due to another road taking part. (H, p17).  Adam died on 24th July 1849 – this was before Donald.  Indeed there were 4 deaths in Mary’s little family within two years – three children and her husband.  Much later she lost two other sons prematurely (at 19 years and 29 years).  After Adam’s death, Mary moved to Strathalbyn with the one remaining child, Rachel. Their children were :-
o   Christina :  born 1841 in Adelaide, died 1849 in Adelaide
o   Rachel :  born 1844 in Adelaide, married xxxTURNER???
o   Adam :  born 1846 in Adelaide, died 1848 in Adelaide
o   Mary :  born 1848 in Adelaide, died 1849 in Adelaide
•   2nd husband :  James BYRNE, born xxx in xxxx.  Mary and James married on 4th May 1850 in the Holy Trinity Church in Adelaide.  This was 9 months after Adam’s death.  Maybe James died very soon because Mary married Duncan less than two years after marrying James.  [Question :  Maybe she never married James?  What evidence to we have?]
•   3rd husband :  Duncan McRAE.  They married 25th Feb 1852.  Duncan farmed in Lake Plains and later in Strathalbyn.  He was one of the first trustees of the Milang Primary School in 1864.  This school is claimed to be the oldest school building in South Australia still being used.  Mary and Duncan had three children :-
o   Duncan :  born 29th Nov 1852 in xxxx, died on 2nd April 1881 in Strathalbyn.
o   Catherine :  born 1854 in xxxxx.  Married William MORRIS in 1874 in Strathalbyn
o   Allan :  born 16th Nov 1856 in Milang.  Married Berthe Aughusta SCHULTZE in 1881 in Port Augusta.
o   Donald Hugh :  born 9th Aug 1858 in Strathalbyn.  Married Mary Ann GOLLAN, nee LAIDLAW in 1884 in Strathalbyn.
o   Mary Anne Jane :  twin born 7th Aug in 1860 in Kintail, SA.  Married George WALLACE
o   John James :  twin born 7th Aug 1860 in Kintail, SA, died 17th January 1880.
•   Mary died 22nd Sept 1889 – She was survived by her husband and four children but she saw the deaths of 5 of her children and two previous husbands.

From Don Gordon

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that. I am related through Rachel Abercrombie - she married Kendrick Alfred Turner, Gawler 1871.

I have found trying to research this family so confusing ... I suppose we wont be able to know for sure who his parents really were. I will try to track down this book that you mentioned and if I am ever in Australia or Adelaide I will go to the Museum.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 12:40 GMT (UK) »
There's an error in the link provided above for Scotlandspeople. Try this:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Don.Gordon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,

I have attached a copy of the relevant parts in the BRB.  It is in jpeg.  Please let me know if you have difficulty opening it (I can email it in pdf if that suits you better.)

I don't know if any of this is news to you.

Unfortunately there is very little about Rachel except that, tragically, she was the only surviving child of Mary's marriage to Adam.  In 1848, her younger brother Adam jnr died of falling off a wagon wheel then just four months later her father, older sister Christina and baby sister Mary jnr died of charcoal gas poisoning.

Most of the information is about Rachel's half siblings, the McRaes, the first of whom was 8 years younger than Rachel.

It would be great if you are able to provide any information about the descendants of Rachel and Kendrick - there is talk of updating the BRB.

From Don Gordon