Author Topic: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull  (Read 19722 times)

Offline Polkadots

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mclean's from the Isle of Mull
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 December 16 11:58 GMT (UK) »
BTW in answer to the question of why would they have left Mull? I’ve just taken it that over time families did need to move to prevent overpopulation.
The clearings also happened in the 1770’s so it could also have been to do with that? Many reasons.
I’d think it’d make sense to move out.  The older sons would need to stay on Mull and the younger ones go to other estates. In this case Taunich is a farm on the Glendaruel Estate.  Does anyone know who owned it?
Cheers!

Offline Ray McLean

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,
You state that Lachlan McLean (born 1714) in Inverchaolin is the son of John Ardfinaig McLean from the isle of Mull. How do you know that? Do you have seen any records or documents? There are about 30 family trees on ancestry.co.uk stating the same, but none shows a source, so I suspect, they have all copied from each other (as I did....). But isn't it strange that Lachlan staid in Inverchaolin, when is father lives on Mull? So if you have anything to convince me, I would be thankful!
Cheers Marion

I can confirm that to date there are no records that show John Ardfinaig McLean is the son of Lachlan McLean (born 1714). The Ancestry entries that show this should be disregarded. In addition, I was unable to find a Donald McLean b:1777 marrying a Christina Mcphee. I would love to see any evidence that shows this. There is a Donald McLean (b:1776) in Inverchaolain but he married a Jean McDonald in 1801 and died in Argyllshire. Probably a different person.
Ray

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 April 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca,
You state that Lachlan McLean (born 1714) in Inverchaolin is the son of John Ardfinaig McLean from the isle of Mull. How do you know that? Do you have seen any records or documents? There are about 30 family trees on ancestry.co.uk stating the same, but none shows a source, so I suspect, they have all copied from each other (as I did....). But isn't it strange that Lachlan staid in Inverchaolin, when is father lives on Mull? So if you have anything to convince me, I would be thankful!
Cheers Marion

I can confirm that to date there are no records that show John Ardfinaig McLean is the son of Lachlan McLean (born 1714). The Ancestry entries that show this should be disregarded. In addition, I was unable to find a Donald McLean b:1777 marrying a Christina Mcphee. I would love to see any evidence that shows this. There is a Donald McLean (b:1776) in Inverchaolain but he married a Jean McDonald in 1801 and died in Argyllshire. Probably a different person.
Ray

Hi, yes all the trees on ancestry are very confusing and I have wondered if they are wrong. It would be good to find out the real records for them!