Author Topic: Parents Of William Burgess.  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents Of William Burgess.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
It reads:

Robert Burgess Stocking Weaver of this place (or parish) and Mary Frazer of the Parish of Tinwald.

Not a lot but maybe the occupation and Mary's parish might help.

:)

Good news  :D

I checked William's baptism record (wrongly indexed so it took a bit longer) and it reads

Dumfries 28 July 1798 William lawful son of Robert Burgess, Hosier
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline DSLeaJones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
I have a William Burgess marrying Janet Smith on 18 July 1756 in Moffat and am trying to trace the marriage of his son James born on 8 March 1763 in Eskdalemuir to Helen Graham of the same parish.  I have had great difficulty in tracing any Burgess records in this area either on line or in Edinburgh.  Helen and James are both buried in Eskdalemuir cemetery and family letters make reference to Lochmaben.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi DSLeaJones.
IGI gives the Christening of James Burgess as 8th March 1761 at Eskdalemuir with parents William Burgess and Jannet Smith. Also on IGI there is a marriage for a James Burges to a Hellen Grahm on 8th December 1777 at Troqueer which is close to Dumfries, could this be just a mistranscribing of their names. Hope this helps you, it could well be the persons you are looking for.
Regards Dave

Offline DSLeaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.  I think the birth of James Burgess is correct, but I have come across the marriage with the slightly different spelling before and as I know for certain that Helen Graham was born on 12 January 1779 in Eskdalemuir the dates obviously do not tally.

I am grateful to you for your help and will continue my search.

Just come back from a few days in Scotland, the highlight of which was a visit to the Edinburgh Tattoo, a truly unbelievable and spectacular event.

Best wishes

Diane Lea-Jones.

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi DSLeaJones.
If the dates for the births of James and Helen are correct, then there is quite a difference in their ages?. Have you considered that they may have had a Scottish Irregular Marriage, I spent about five years looking for my GG/Grandmother Agnes Hogg's marriage to William Burgess then a fellow rootschatter found it on the Dumfries Kirk Sessions in 1817 as an irregular marriage. Good luck with your search.
Regards Dave.

Offline DSLeaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Dave,

I knew there was quite a difference in the ages of James and Helen, but had not considered an irregular marriage, so will follow this up.  Oddly enough, when James died, Helen married for a second time to the local schoolmaster, James Yooll,  who was over twenty years her junior.  The house where Helen lived is now the Samye Ling Tibetan temple.  In the archives in Bermuda where my husband's family comes from there is a sketch done by one of her grandchildren of the house when it was the family home.

I assume from your surname that you are interested in the Smith side of this family.  I have information on James and Helen's three sons who all died abroad, my husband being descended from the middle son.    I also have photographs of the  Burgess and Graham graves in Eskdalemuir and Watcarrick cemetery.  If you are interested in any of this, please let me know. 

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Diane.

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi DSLeaJones.
My Burgess family are not connected to yours, my Burgess's moved from Dumfries to Dumbartonshire and Glasgow in the 1850s and worked in the shipyards.
My Smith line is on my fathers side and as far back as my GGG/Grandfather they all were born in Salford Lancashire.
Dave.

Offline DSLeaJones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Dave,

Understood.  Thanks for all your help.

Diane