Author Topic: William Dunn died 1857 Londonderry  (Read 8180 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Dunn died 1857 Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi ning26 I bet your Jane Dunn will be related to my Dunn at Ardground tree. Very small area as you say. So all Dunn there should be related. You also have Jane Miller/Millar I wonder if shes a sister of my ancestress Catherine Millar in the same area. Catherine Millar married William Dunn farmer at Ardground 1769 - 13th Nov 1857 his brother Robert Dunn of Tartnakelly 1764 - 1837 married 1793 Ann Strawbridge, a sister of William & Robert Dunn first name not known ?? Dunn d April 1859 married James Henderson 1781 - 1870. There should be other sisters to.  Parents of Robert & William as shown on many trees at ancestry are William Dunn 1739 - 1824 m Margaret Davidson.

The Dunns decended from Robert Dunn who settled in Lower Cumber in 1650 and in 1663 is living at Glenlough, Lower Cumber, Londonderry. This is exactly next to where Ardground is. I think the farms in the area split between the Dunn offspring but Glenlough was the original larger farm.

One Robert Dunn was alive 1740 and a house holder at Glenlough

William Dunn b c1686 married Jane Wallace had 9 sons, 2 known Rev James Dunn b ca 1732 went to USA and his brother William Dunn 1739 - 1824 m Margaret Davidson they stayed at Ardground

Alexander Miller/Millar owned a house at Brackfield by 1858 where Catherine Millar came from but exact father not known

Hope that helps

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 01:08 BST (UK) »
dunvr: I see the name search database lists Robert Dunn in Glenlough in 1740.  However, John Rutherford in his history of Cumber Parish has this as Robert Bann (i.e. Bond).  Furthermore, you have Robert Dunn in Glenlough in 1663.  John Rutherford has only Robert Scott in Glenlough in the 1663 Hearth Money Rolls.  In 1663 I have William Dunn in Legaghory which is on the west side of Toneduff townland which is on the north side of Ardground.  PRONI has a Samuel Dunn as the payer for Legahorey in the Skinners Company Estate records (FIN/10/1/3/241).  There is no date but I assume him to be one of the original occupiers.  There was a William Dunn in Legaghory in the 1740 Protestant Householders.  In the 1796 list of Freeholders there is a George Miller in Legaghory.

ning26: I have:

Alexander, son of Robert Scott & Jane Millar of Ardground baptized on 9 May 1819 at Lower Cumber Church.
Oliver, son of Robert Scott & Jane Miller of Ardground baptized on 5 Aug 1821 at Lower Cumber Church.
Samuel, son of Robert Scott & Jane Millar of Ardground baptized on 27 Nov 1826 at Lower Cumber Church; and
Eleanor, daughter of Robert Scott & Jane Millar of Ardground baptized on 31 Jan 1830 at Lower Cumber Church.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 01:40 BST (UK) »
There were lots of Millers in the area -  mostly in Lettermire townland across the river Faughan from Ardground with Kilcaltan townland between.  There were more in Ervey towland a townland northwest of Lettermire.

However, in the 1831 census of Toneduff townland (on the north side of Ardground) there was a Robert Miller and also a Oliver Scott.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 05:06 BST (UK) »
According to Geffiths

My William Dunn leased Ardground with others including a Samuel Scott who maybe a relative of your Robert Scott? Your Jane Miller could be born c 1800 by the look of the baptisms you provide. According to Catherine Dunn nee Millars death cert she would be born c1786 so Catherine & Jane would be abt 14 years apart from each other so very possible Catherine Millar was the elder sister of your Jane Millar, Robert Scott & Willliam Dunn therfor brothers in law. Whoever the parents of Catherine & Jane Millar were are our common ancestors but to many male Miller/Millars in the area to be sure who their father was

Tithe Appointment Book 1827
William Dunn at Ardground, 50 acres + plus a small farm of 25 acres with a James Scott again this Scott maybe your family

1831 census

George Miller/Millar lived at Ardground (has to be related)

1831 Census
William Dunn family of 7 males and 2 females, Presbyterian. The only Dunn household at Ardground.

Ervey
John Dunn family of 3 males and 4 females
Robert Dunn family of 3 males & 2 females

Legacurry

James Dunn family 4 males 4 females
Andrew Dunn family 3 males & 2 females
William Dunn (NB Church of Ireland)
Davis Dunn family of 5 males and 2 females (NB Church of Ireland)

Kildoag
Andrew Dunn family 3 males & 7 females (NB Church of Ireland)
Sarah Dunn family of 2 females (NB Church of Ireland)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 05:09 BST (UK) »
Cumber Yeomanry Cavalry, 1797

The famous Volunteer force collapsed somewhat abruptly and ignominiously in 1793; and a militia force was the only safeguard of peace in the country which was seething with sedition and evidently heading for rebellion. In 1796 a yeomanry force, cavalry and infantry, officered by local gentlemen was raised for preserving order. The cavalry force was disbanded in 1814 and the infantry gradually lapsed and ceased to exist in 1834. The Yeomanry was employed in the rebellion of 1798 and earned an unenviable reputation for harshness and cruelty. The force was controlled by Government by whom the officers were appointed; and the men were clothed and equipped by the estate and also were paid for nine days drill and when called up for permanent duty. The horses of the cavalry belonged to the men serving. The uniform of the officers was :- Red cloth , yellow facings, swallow tail; gilt brass chain epaulettes and grenade badge; embossed gilt buttons which bore the name of the Corps. The uniform of the rank and file was:- Tunic , red cloth, blue facings, and silver braid; rows of braid across the front and lines and loops on the back. Buckskin breeches; buttons bore name of Corps. The following is the monthly return of the Cumber Cavalry for 1797 .
Captain David Ross
1st Lieut Michael Ross
2nd Lieut Michael Ross junior

Privates

Dunn Robert
Millar Robert

Related?

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 05:11 BST (UK) »
Jane Dunn was witness on below:

Groom's Name: James Lithgow Groom's Birth Date: Groom's Birthplace: Groom's Age: Bride's Name: Eliza Millar Bride's Birth Date: Bride's Birthplace: Bride's Age: Marriage Date: 04 Jan 1849 Marriage Place: 0404, Lower Cumber, Londonderry, Ireland Groom's Father's Name: John Lithgow Groom's Mother's Name: Bride's Father's Name: Robert Millar

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 05:12 BST (UK) »
Name: Robert Millar Gender: Male Baptism Date: 12 May 1833 Baptism Place: Lower Cumber, Londonderry, Ireland Father's Name: Robert Millar Mother's name: Sarah Gorney Or Young

Name: Robert Miller Gender: Male Baptism Date: 25 Jul 1823 Baptism Place: Lower Cumber, Londonderry, Ireland Father's Name: James Miller Mother's name: Mary Chrisly

Offline jonathan_hall77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 June 22 21:41 BST (UK) »
This is all very interesting, I am descendant from the Dunn's from this part of Co Tyrone. My mothers mother was Dunn. Although I grew up in the area I know little about the previous generations and I'm currently stuck in my research around the mid 1800s.  There is a very useful document on another website that traces the Dunn's back to the 1600s this looks to have been quoted on this thread or at least the same sources used. I have had my mum's DNA tested and is uploaded on various sites. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that might think they have a DNA match, no matter how small.