Author Topic: Doody Family  (Read 4546 times)

Offline JJDoody

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doody Family
« on: Monday 16 July 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
I am tracing my birth family. My mother Eileen Teresa Doody was born on 21st July 1932 at Athea, Co. Limerick. According to the birth certificate, (which is in the name Ellen Doody) her mother was Ellen Doody from Templeathea. The 1911 census shows a Doody family, Father was Maurice, Mother was Mary living at house 17 in Templeathea East, Glenagower, Limerick. There was  5 children living at that address including Ellen then aged 8. I am trying to establish if anyone knows the decendants of this family and can confirm whether Ellen (or Eileen) moved to England. I believe my mother came here in January 1956. Thank you!
Doody

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Doody Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I saw your message today.
Did you get any replies?
My Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Doody, she was from the same area.
We must be related, they married in Athea in 1868.
So Elizabeth must be an Aunt to Maurice. Checking my records there were a few Doody families in Athea.
How do you do, pleased to meet you!
If you check
www.eircom.ie this is the Ireland telephone book. there are a few still in the area.
If you reply, I will do more searching for you, ok.
Maggsie

Offline JJDoody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggsie,

I had forgotten all about this message which I posted nearly 3 years ago! Thank you so much for being the first to reply and I'm really pleased to meet you too!

I plan to visit the area of Athea at some time in the future but have to fit it around family and school holidays as my wife teaches and our youngest daughter is still at school.

Since posting this, I have traced my birth mother and found she died some years ago. There is a half sister of mine who registered the death, I wrote to her but have had no reply - as she may not have known of my existence, I am leaving it to her to decide whether to respond as it may have come as a surprise.

I traced and have met another half sister but she has no knowledge of the family in Ireland.

I started a family tree on Ancestry but visit the site only occasionally when I have the time. If you want to contact me direct, my email removed by moderator, please use the private message function if you wish to exchange details
. Meanwhile, I would be delighted if you would do some more research and I can then subscribe to Ancestry for a month and update the records.

I should mention that I used my birth name for this message - John Joseph Doody, but after adoption my name is Christopher Joseph Moore (and I no longer have the beard!)

Best wishes
Chris
Doody

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
Chris, Are you still out there?
Maggsie

Offline Cathy_Aus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • clendinnen girls early 1900s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 22 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi:)
My direct Doody Line was from Duagh/Listowel Co Kerry  May have been Originally From Co Clare/Limerick
Cathy:)
Ireland...Direct Lines
Down..Clendinnen
Clare..Haren, Ryan
Kerry...Doody
Tipperary...Morrisey
Wexford...Clendinnen, Steele, Ellis
Roscommon...Carley, Fallon

France...D'Acre, Went to Ireland some Changed to DEAKER

England Direct Lines
Norfolk: Clamp, Chesney, Atkins, streek
Essex: Mountford, Cornell, Philpott, Hawkes
Wiltshire: Stone, Annetts,

Watt, Toombs, Greville, Revell , Hindmarsh, Williams, Chivell, Collocott, Carle, Bayliss, Berry, Dewsbury, Dungey, Edwards, Gray, Haughton