Author Topic: German Ancestors in the North of England  (Read 23578 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors in the North of England
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 March 14 01:38 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors were from Saxony but I'm not surprised to see people looking for their Hessian ancestors, as Britain has a history of using soldiers of the Hessian Army as early as the 1740s when they helped the English army to quell the uprising of the Scottish Highlanders.   I think the Hessian barracks were in southern England.
My FLAMME/FLEMME ancestor came over in 1864 during the rumbling of war on the European mainland when Prussia and Austria tried to gather together all the Germanic states into one Federation.  He was of farming stock but he'd become a travelling musician with hi maternal uncle (an EHLERS) and I noticed that the English address they were living at in 1871 had housed a different set of BIELSTEIN and GUNTHER musicians in 1861.   Whilst perusing German  annual Court listings (= a "people count" = a type of annual census) I found older generations of my ancestor living either next door to, or in the same German village as, what turned out to be relatives of the musicians who had lived in the English address in 1861.   

None of my ancestors are listed on the familysearch.org website and even if they'd been on the old website I wouldn't have found them because the search facility only brought up the first given name and at the time I didn't know their first names, only the name they used.  I actually found their baptisms, etc., by looking in the library catalogue https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/    to see if there were any available films for the Ev.Lutheran Village church and when I saw that there was one, I went to my local Church of Latter Day Saints FHS and used their viewing facilities.   

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline his daughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 August 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
I am related to the Shy butchers from Blyth. My grandmother on my father's side was Winifred Florence Shy, her father was George Charles Shy born in Goole (1868/9), his father George (1844) who came from Kunzelsau. They started in Goole and then in about 1873/4 they apparently were advised to move north. They went to Bylth where I gather they did quite well with George Charles's brother Alfred also opening his own shop. I believe it is his family shop which is the only surviving Shy Butchers in Blyth. I have had a little contact with Alfred's family and I think there was a Shy butcher's shop in Scotland also. if anyone is interested i do have some more info.
Shy/Scheu
Kunzelsau
Wuttenberg
pork butcher
Blyth

Offline Doug Wells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 February 16 00:41 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Frida Vogel married John Kelly among other jobs he was a Caulker in shipyards on Tyne. My mother was Irene Marie Kelly who married my dad Joseph Richard Wells. They had 9 children oldest girl named Freda after your great aunt! They spent all their married life in Hebburn in South Tyneside ( not South Shields).

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 February 16 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Doug

I am aware of your part of the family (but not of the members in our generation) I believe my father's cousin Marie Hasenmayer kept in contact.

Once you have posted 3 times on rootschat you will be able to contact & be contacted via Personal Messages http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php. Then, if you would like, we can fill in the blanks in our knowledge about our family.
Helga
Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline Doug Wells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I think l have a photograph of your grandma taken at Kruger photo studio Huddersfield. It is very formal . My mam identified her Uncle Charles, presumably Karl . Margaret possibly Marguerite my grandma as a girl and Polly. (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Doug Wells

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I am not finding this site easy to use and look forward to being able to communicate directly. I have no problem with posting my email address! It is fascinating to research family history and it would have been a lot easier if I had started before my mam shuffled of this mortal coli .

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 March 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Doug....stick with it....it does get easier once you get used to it and you can exchange personal details through the personal message system now you have made three posts.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 04 March 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
I have sent a PM to Doug so that he can contact me direct
Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline Gillibrite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 May 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello to everybody. I'm a new member and am the great granddaughter of Johann Wolpert. I can add some detail about his entry if somebody gives me a hand re this site! I'm finding it difficult to use . . . thanks, Gillian.