Author Topic: German Ancestors in the North of England  (Read 23435 times)

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
German Ancestors in the North of England
« on: Tuesday 17 July 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the thread,

I am a member of the Anglo-German Family History Society (AGFHS), and it was recently pointed out to me that we don't have a specific forum for people with German ancestors located in the North of England (Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, Cumbria, Northumberland, Durham, etc). So I have decided to start a thread to solve that problem for members and non-members alike. Please tell everyone about your German ancestors 'up north': what did they did for a living, where did they live, where did they come from and why did they come?

Hopefully we can all help each other, and maybe we'll discover some connections between our ancestors.

Regards,
Richard
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors in the North of England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Richard, Surprised that you have not had one reply for your post, unless it has not been spotted as yet. I cannot help re any German ancestors in our family, as far as I am aware. But if you see from my 'nom de plume' you will gather where I am from.  In the town there was a pork butcher's business and they went by the name of Shy. From what I gathered/learned many years ago, if it is correct, the family was of German origin, and they changed their name to 'Shy' at the time of WWI.  If any other similar names details come to mind I will let you know.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
We have several topics on RootsChat about german pork butchers. They are nearly all on the Europe board, as the posters were more interested in finding out about where they came from.

I've collected some of the topics here:

Topic: RootsChat Topics: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,509347.0.html

Richard, some of them settled in the North of England, so have a look through them, you might find some very interesting for you.

Here are some of the family names:
Bauer / Bower; Beyer; Brand; Brueck
Cutts / Curtis / Katz (?)
Diez; Dreher
Ebert
Funk
Green / Grün
Haffner; Heinzmann; Heise; Hertrich;
Köberer; Kneller; Kramer / Krämer; Kress; Küstner
Meenz / Münz; Most
Pfisterer
Roger; Rothermel
Schonhut; Schwab; Stier
Volland
Wagner; Wall / Wahl; Wittman; Wolf; Wolpert

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 16:05 BST (UK) »
A first cousin five times removed of mine married a woman called Anna Rauer, whose father George was a German who moved to Liverpool in the second half of the 19th century.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Margarete Karoline Vogel born 1881 in Hohebach, Baden Wurttemberg.
She followed 2 sisters & a brother to Yorkshire in 1896, her other 2 sisters went to Hebburn, South Shields and 2 brothers remained in Hohebach.  (I am still in contact with the descendents of one of them but they have no knowledge of family history). 

The girls were cooks or domestics in the UK prior to marriage. Grandma and one sister married Yorkshire farmers (my grandfather was a farmer & a butcher). Two sisters married German pork butchers in the UK, the fourth married an (English) Cawker in a ship building yard in South Shields.
Her brother Karl Konrad was a Pork Butcher in Bradford he married locally.

The German pork butchers were John Falck (also of Hohebach) and Wilhelm Hasenmayer (originally from Schwabisch Hall).

Regards
Helga

Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hohebach is in Baden-Würtemberg. It's worth comparing with the pork butcher topics I quoted before, as most of them seem to have come from Baden-Württemberg too.

e.g.
Hohenlohe
Kirchheim /Teck in Wurttemberg
Kocherstetten, Kuenzelsau, Wuerttemberg <== sehr viele !!!
Morsbach
Niedernhall
Welzheim
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RichardFunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Glad to see we've got some posts so quickly. All my lot of German ancestors were pork butchers from the Hohenlohe region in Wuerttemberg, which seems to be, as Berlin-Bob has pointed out, the origin place for most German pork butchers in Britain.

I've started recording German pork butchers as I find them and adding them to a list I'm building up. I've heard the name Vogel before, as well as Falck and it's great that you have detail of where they came from, that's the hardest part to find out, so thanks Helga. There is already a very good thread devoted to pork butchers so I'll try not to go on about them here too much. Helga, do you know exactly where these pork butchers had their shops?

Also thanks to pityackafromblyth for the tip off about the Shy family, I'll look into that in more detail.
Names: Funk, Kantenwein, Otterbach, Raissen, Hub, Stier
Places: Belsenberg, Morsbach, Rueblingen, Ober/Unter Regenbach

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 12 07:52 BST (UK) »
I've started recording German pork butchers as I find them and adding them to a list I'm building up.

And if you then put them on the web, then that could be the start of a "German Pork Butchers" site,
similar to the "German Sugar Bakers" site   ;D
http://www.mawer.clara.net/intro.html

regards,
Bob

Offline hjstort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 12 09:50 BST (UK) »
In 1911 Karl Konrad Vogel lived & worked at 115 High Street, Great Horton.

Wilhelm Hasenmayer was living & working in Carr St, Hebburn in 1901 (he died in 1903).

John Falck was living & working in Huddersfield from 1871 to 1891, sometime around 1900 he returned to Hohebach with his wife (my great aunt).

My grandmother worked for August Breuninger a German Pork butcher, prior to her marriage. He lived & worked in Gaythorne St West Bowling. The Breuninger family were also from the Hohebach area

Dobson, Frankland, Oates, Sellar(s), Chadwick, Hardcastle, Cawthra, Vogel