Author Topic: German Ancestors in the North of England  (Read 23438 times)

Offline TigerRose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: German Ancestors in the North of England
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
I'm another Anglo-German FHS member.  Is there anyone out there who has any Ulrichs in their family tree?

My gt-gt-grandfather, Jacob Ulrich, born c1844 in Germany, married a Catharina Weiss in 1870, at Grossenlinden, Hesse-Darmstadt.  His parents were Philipp Ulrich and Elisabetha Koch.  Jacob and Catharina came to South Yorkshire in the early 1870s, and Jacob remained in the UK until 1916 when he was sent back to Germany.

I haven't been able to find a baptism for him, or a marriage for his parents, amongst the German records on FamilySearch, and wondered if anyone has found other mention of his parents or possible siblings for him.  He did give his place of birth as Frankfurt in some census records.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Glad to see we've got some posts so quickly. All my lot of German ancestors were pork butchers from the Hohenlohe region in Wuerttemberg, which seems to be, as Berlin-Bob has pointed out, the origin place for most German pork butchers in Britain.

I've started recording German pork butchers as I find them and adding them to a list I'm building up. I've heard the name Vogel before, as well as Falck and it's great that you have detail of where they came from, that's the hardest part to find out, so thanks Helga. There is already a very good thread devoted to pork butchers so I'll try not to go on about them here too much. Helga, do you know exactly where these pork butchers had their shops?

Also thanks to pityackafromblyth for the tip off about the Shy family, I'll look into that in more detail.

Richard, like the idea of recording a list of German Pork Butchers, I'll pm you with details of Christian Frederick Wall, my wifes Great Grandfather, I'm sure you'll find more names on the 'German Pork Butchers in Britain' site that a few of us have contributed to, it's had 38566 hits and 393 replies.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,408853.390.html

I note you are a member of the AGFHS. Do they hold any records of civilian internees from WW1, as I have the camp(s) and serial number for CF Wall from the Red Cross.
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 12 17:57 BST (UK) »
I have an Alexander Thiel who was born in Germany and settled in South Shields, he was a ships carpenter and married a local girl, later becoming a shipwright. They changed their name to "Shiel" or "Shiells" around WW1, presumably to avoid any trouble. I cannot find anything pre UK.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 July 12 18:04 BST (UK) »
I'll add this link to another butcher in Durham
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,430883.0.html
North East of England

Offline Jim Greig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 August 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
I have connections with the Dreher family who first appear in Derby c1835 with a marriage to Elizabeth Wathall. John Frederick Dreher (c1816-1853) was a pork butcher and all I know about his origin is that he came from "foreign parts" possibly Germany or Austria. My branch of the Dreher family moved to Salford/Manchester c1880.
Greig - Coltbridge/Edinburgh/Ayton/Earlston/Carlisle/Sheffield/Manchester
Walker - Altrincham/Manchester/Salford
Hunt - Redhill/Earlswood/Dover
Dreher - Derby/Salford/Manchester

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 August 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
My German ancestors are the Albach family from Burkhardsfelden, Giessen, Hessen, Germany. They came to England in 1853 via Holland and most of them lived in the Grimsby area. The father was a labourer or Grocer. There's a passport in the possession of the family and there are copies around. No particular reason given for them leaving Germany. There's quite a few descendents researching this line. Here are details of this family:-

Johann Peter Albach 1815-1894
Katherine Rühl 1816-1886
Elisabeth Albach (Shepherd) 1839-1909
Marie Albach 1840-1840
Anna Marie Albach (Turner) 1842-1928
Christine Albach (Batchelor) 1844-1908
Katharine Albach (Wilks) 1845-1930
Maria Katharina Albach (Atkinson) 1848-1910
Elisabeth Katharine (Elise) Albach (Hool) 1850-1873
Phillipine Albach (Murray) 1851-1930
Henry Albach 1854-1930
John Albach 1856-1929
Selina Albach (Smith) 1860-1922

Blue

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 August 12 17:08 BST (UK) »
I've started recording German pork butchers as I find them and adding them to a list I'm building up.

And if you then put them on the web, then that could be the start of a "German Pork Butchers" site,
similar to the "German Sugar Bakers" site   ;D
http://www.mawer.clara.net/history.html

After thinking about my reply here, I added a new field to the SIT (Surname Interests Table)

If you all enter your Surnames there,
it will be easier to keep track of them all   ;D
(search for Country = Germany and if you are just interested in pork butchers, then search also Occupation = Pork butchers

Topic: New possibilities in the SIT: Occupations
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,612580.0.html

Hope this helps :)

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 01 September 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

following on from the last reply, how about a database of german pork butchers ??

Topic: Possible database: German Pork Butchers
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,613454.0.html

please add your feedback there :)

thanks,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 01 September 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

How I missed this thread is beyond me.....

Bob, I like the idea of a database for German pork butchers. I, like Richard Funk, have many German pork butchers, not related (as yet) to me, on my hard disk with their birth origins in Germany, i.e. Hohenlohe, Schwäbisch Hall, etc.

I lately thought of sharing my finds by opening up a Tree on the Ancy site and calling it Pork Butchers from Hohenlohe and surroundings.

One thing I have found is that a lot of the butchers from the Northern counties moved to Nottinghamshire and Norfolk from Yorkshire and back again.

One area that really snows with PB's is Liverpool. I have at least two of my ancestors there in Widnes.

On my direct line "Pfisterer", it ends with Johann Friedrich Pfisterer, Master Butcher in Mexborough who died 1875. His two sons, Charles Frederick moved to Flint River, Des Moines, Iowa and Christian Louis (my grandfather) ran a garage, taxi service, cycle shop etc. in Northwich, Cheshire following John Heinzmann, his first cousin, to Northwich, Cheshire who was a Pork Butcher.

Just aside:

I recently found my grandmother Margaretha Brück's 2 year younger brother who was working for the Hohenreins in 1861in England and in that year he emigrated to the USA and I had seen him but couldn't prove the blood line until I found him on the 1925 in Iowa Census in which mother's and father's names are required. He was my man!!! I have found all his children and their spouses and am about to send off a letter to his granddaughter to establish our relationship.

However I can help on this project, you can count on me.

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W