Author Topic: Norwood family from Fordwich & Canterbury  (Read 2347 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norwood family from Fordwich & Canterbury
« on: Wednesday 18 July 12 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just discovered that a Thomas Norwood who died in 1766 in Fordwich was a Freeman.  I found this information from a book I have and also from wading through the parish records recently put on FindMyPast by Canterbury Cathedral Archives.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction to research this as there must be freeman (or is it freemen?) records relating to either Fordwich or Canterbury?

I have also discovered that his brother, Paul Norwood who died in 1751 was the Town Serjeant, so again, can someone please point me in the right direction to research this.

I have a just bought a wonderful couple of history books solely relating to Fordwich and both of the ancestors of mine are referred to in there which I find extremely exciting!!  :)

I would really appreciate some assistance in where I should follow up my research on both Thomas and his brother Paul (who is one of my gt x6 grandfathers).

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norwood family from Fordwich & Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 17:51 BST (UK) »
The roll of the Canterbury freemen to 1800 is online if that's any help http://archive.org/details/rolloffreemenofc00cantrich

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 12 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link. Very helpful.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 05:36 GMT (UK) »
I would like to join your search for Norwood of Fordwick.

I found that one Sara Norwood aged 19 of St. Paul Canterbury m. Thomas Giles, a tallow chandler of Canterbury 16 Jul 1677, Fordwich, Kent.

I would guess that her husband died 23 Dec 1680 St. Mary-Northgate Canterbury and she then married Thomas Luck, a tallowchandler, in 1684, the same year he became a freeman by redemption.

Their son John Luck a mercer of Canterbury will be my ancestor. Therefore, I would like to research Sara Norwood now.

Thomas Giles died with a Will 1680.
I will try to purchase it from Kent records.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End