Author Topic: Tweedie  (Read 16075 times)

Offline Woodlawn1952

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tweedie
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 21:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I have been reading your Rootschat comments on your Tweedy Family. I too am researching my great great grandfather William Tweedy from Newry (Co Down). William was a convict transported to Australia in 1849; he was 17 years old and the ONLY info I have on him is he was born 1830 was Presbyterian and spent time in the Newry Workhouse. He seems to have been educated and could read and write, always signing his name, not using a mark (X). He married in Australia, children Elizabeth (d) Mary, Martha, Robert, Jane, Ellen, Sarah and William (d), and a second William. As Banbridge was within 15 miles of Newry, I am hoping your Tweedy/Tweedie may be the family I am looking for. Hope to hear from you. Kind regards, Narelle.

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I have been reading your Rootschat comments on your Tweedy Family. I too am researching my great great grandfather William Tweedy from Newry (Co Down). William was a convict transported to Australia in 1849; he was 17 years old and the ONLY info I have on him is he was born 1830 was Presbyterian and spent time in the Newry Workhouse. He seems to have been educated and could read and write, always signing his name, not using a mark (X). He married in Australia, children Elizabeth (d) Mary, Martha, Robert, Jane, Ellen, Sarah and William (d), and a second William. As Banbridge was within 15 miles of Newry, I am hoping your Tweedy/Tweedie may be the family I am looking for. Hope to hear from you. Kind regards, Narelle.

Hi Narelle, that is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I do have a William Tweedy born 1830 in County Down who I believe is the son of John and Martha who I have discussed in this topic. Have you done or have you thought about doing a DNA test? I'm looking into doing one and it would be interesting if we had a match.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Woodlawn1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I guess DNA is the only way to be sure. I have been considering doing DNA but it's not high on the agenda at the moment. By the way, my 2xgreat grandfathers full name was William John Tweedy, and my great grandmother was Martha Tweedy.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 March 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a flash of  some Seagoe Pentland/Pendleton/Pentleton records, but not any from Donaghcloney. It contains transcriptions from the Seagoe book, not original handwriting, probably starting in the late 1700's.  My copies may not contain all the relevant pages and the early data  is often vague.  The researcher who gave me these pages also gave me the tree.  That data may have been data I gave to him from the questionable source. 

Seagoe records
George and Susanna Pentleton have Robert 1804 and Alexander  in Killicomain in 1811, but Robert 1807 and Elizabeth in Killicomain in 1798 are children of George and Susanna Pentland.

John and Margaret Pendleton have daughter 1828 in Ballyhannon, but Rachel Pentland died 1849 at age 20.

Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland have John b 1807 in Drumgor but Elizabeth b 1801 in Drumgor is born to a Pentleton family.  John b 1804 is born to Alexander Pentleton and wife, no location

Alexander and Mary Pentleton of Drumgor have Thomas 1829.  This appears to be Thomas Pentland who married Jane Lyness at age 21 in 1850.  Possibly the Alexander and Mart (probably Margaret with the apostrophe missing but could be Mary if the handwriting was bad) Pentland having Alexander in 1832 and Mary Jane in 1834 in Drumgor is the same person.

I suspect Samuel and Elizabeth Webb of Drumgor are another couple with a name change, but can't tell for sure. 

I have no paper for taking notes except 3x3 post-its so I am having trouble matching entries.  I can e-mail the jpegs of the Seagoe pages if someone wants to better follow this.  There are a few Pendletons, more Pentletons, and then Pentlands, lots of Edenderry Pentlands in the later dates.  These are the sort of entries that make me think the name changed.

Came across some Ireland Census Extracts -
1851 Census Abstract, Drumgor, Seagoe, Oneilland E
Robert Murray, married in 1847 to Easter, wife
children, Mary, age 10
Sarah, age 2
Margaret, 4 months,
Mary Pentland, 45, sister
Elizabeth Pentland, 8

Per the census abstract, the claimaint Elizabeth (married to Dowing), father Alexander Pentland, deceased. 

Elizabeth married William Downey in 1876, and the census abstract was completed when she applied for benefits. 

So this would seem to be the widow from the couple mentioned above, Alexander and Mary/Margaret Pentland of Drumgor.

Offline Woodlawn1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 04:16 GMT (UK) »
The more I read these comments, the more I am convinced the William Tweedy born June 1830 is my 2xgreat grandfather. William John Tweedy was in the Newry Workhouse in 1847 when he deliberately broke a shop window and stole 3 silver spoons with the intention of getting caught and transported.
He named his 1st daughter Elizabeth, his 2nd (my great grandma) Martha, and his 1st son Robert.

Offline Londonlivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 January 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »

Hello Doylers94 - a long time later.
I am looking for this side of Tweedie with a possible relation.
Thank you, Londonlivin

The David Tweedy born December 1865 is definitely mine. His parents were John and Margaret Campbell and he was baptised in Lurgan at Shankill COI This couple went on to have several more children. My great grandmother was Martha Tweedie (married David Hall) I have a theory that John was married previously to Margaret Kelly and that Martha was baptised in Magheralin COI (near Lurgan) born Edenballycoghill near Donaghcloney, Down. I suspect John Tweedies first wife died as there are no further baptisms recorded locally and he re-married prior to 1865 Margaret Campbell. The couple had the following children David 1865 John 1870, Mary 1872 Sarah Jane 1874 and Margaret Anne 1876. I currently live in this area and am happy to chase local records. Ann

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:39 GMT (UK) »

Hello- a long time later. I am looking for this side of Tweedie with a possible relation.
Would it be possible to ask if you on the DNA?
Thank you

The David Tweedy born December 1865 is definitely mine. His parents were John and Margaret Campbell and he was baptised in Lurgan at Shankill COI This couple went on to have several more children. My great grandmother was Martha Tweedie (married David Hall) I have a theory that John was married previously to Margaret Kelly and that Martha was baptised in Magheralin COI (near Lurgan) born Edenballycoghill near Donaghcloney, Down. I suspect John Tweedies first wife died as there are no further baptisms recorded locally and he re-married prior to 1865 Margaret Campbell. The couple had the following children David 1865 John 1870, Mary 1872 Sarah Jane 1874 and Margaret Anne 1876. I currently live in this area and am happy to chase local records. Ann

You have written your reply within the quote from doylers94. If you click on 'Preview' you can see how and where your reply is going.

doylers94 was last online here in March 2019 but if her e-mail notification is still working, she will receive your reply and may respond.

In the meantime here's the link to the birth of a David TWEEDIE on 27th December 1865 at Legaghory, Shankill civil parish. The mother's MN was Kelly.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03546/2305311.pdf

John TWEEDY married Margaret KELLY on 6th November 1857 at Magheralin Parish Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1857/09534/5456339.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Londonlivin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 January 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  Kiltaglassen,

Yes I am hoping my message to Doylers will get through.

Thank you for the links you posted here and for taking the time to do that.

Much obliged to you, Londonlivin

Hello- a long time later. I am looking for this side of Tweedie with a possible relation.
Would it be possible to ask if you on the DNA?
Thank you

You have written your reply within the quote from doylers94. If you click on 'Preview' you can see how and where your reply is going.

doylers94 was last online here in March 2019 but if her e-mail notification is still working, she will receive your reply and may respond.

In the meantime here's the link to the birth of a David TWEEDIE on 27th December 1865 at Legaghory, Shankill civil parish. The mother's MN was Kelly.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03546/2305311.pdf

John TWEEDY married Margaret KELLY on 6th November 1857 at Magheralin Parish Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1857/09534/5456339.pdf

KG