Author Topic: Tweedie  (Read 16105 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Tweedie
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 12 11:59 BST (UK) »
If the records for the parish in question go back before 1843 then a check for a marriage for John and Martha would be the next search to try..

The baptism record may include an occupation, which can sometimes help

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 July 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Pendleton and Pentland are the same surname.  It is a widespread "mistake" according to some Pentland researchers who have much information  of the family in the region, but also could be an early version of the name in the region. 

John Tweedy and Martha Pentland were married Feb 5, 1823 in Donaghcloney.  I know nothing more about the couple, but have some Tweedys from the area. 

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 July 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of this information, it's really useful.

It's brilliant being able to know their marriage date, makes them seem like more than just a couple of names. I'm glad that I finally know just where in Ireland they come from, that was the biggest mystery.

Which records should I be looking at to find details of children and other relatives?
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 November 13 09:22 GMT (UK) »
If Pendleton and Pentland are the same surname the families have distinct histories. Generally, the Pendletons are English and the Pentlands Scottish. Philip Pendleton who sold Blackhall to George Henry Pentland being a prime example.

There are, however, later records of Pentlands at Donaghcloney, although not of the other variants, which may suggest more could be found from parish records.

There appear to be very few Tithe Applotments for Down, does anyone know why? Also there is no record of the name in Griffiths in this parish which suggests a break between an earlier famly and the late nineteenth century references.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 November 13 18:24 GMT (UK) »
The Tithe Applotments are badly compiled, quite a few places are listed under the wrong county, for example a place I was searching for in Westmeath is listed under Cork, this might explain a lack of records for Down.

Best thing is to use familysearch, find a place in Down, go to the image and than search page by page from there, slow but safer.

I wonder if Partland could be related to Pentland?
I know it's believed to come from McFarland and/or another old Irlsh name which I can't remember at the moment but you could see how the two could get mixed up.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 22:03 BST (UK) »

"David Tweedie born about 1845 in Ireland. First appearance in Glasgow is in a marriage record where he married Ann Robertson, also from Ireland, in 1876. He was a Brickfield Labourer and his parents are listed as John Tweedie, agricultural labourer and Martha Pendleton (I don't think they came to Glasgow as there are no records on ScotlandsPeople for them). He was a Presbyterian. He died on 18 Aug 1906.

Here's my guess; I think that he and Ann Robertson came from the same part of Ireland and arrived in Glasgow together to get married and start a new life. There are other Robertsons as witnesses on the Marriage Record so it looks like other members of her family went with them."

There are births listed for that couple:
Jane Tweedie, b. 24 may 1877, Glasgow
John Tweedie, b. 16 nov 1878, Glasgow
William Tweedie, b. 2 jun 1880
Robert Tweedie, b. 1 jun 1882
David Tweedie, b. 1 jul 1884, Glasgow
Thomas Tweedie, b. 7 may 1886, Glasgow
Alexander Tweedie, b. 24 may 1888, Glasgow
James Tweedie, b. 17 sep 1890, Glasgow

Also there are two brothers listed for David Tweedy, b. 1843:
Thomas Tweedy
William Tweedy

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
A John Tweedy married Martha Pentland Feb 5, 1823 in Donaghcloney.  If this is your family, it sounds like there should be several more children.  I am interested in some of the later Waringstown Tweedie/Tweedy families, so if you find more information, I'd love to hear.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 01:43 BST (UK) »
A John Tweedy married Martha Pentland Feb 5, 1823 in Donaghcloney.  If this is your family, it sounds like there should be several more children.  I am interested in some of the later Waringstown Tweedie/Tweedy families, so if you find more information, I'd love to hear.

Sorry, that is all I had.  They are not my family, but I had collected the info on them.

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
A word of caution; not all Pendletons are Pentlands. It is certainly true that there are examples of people with proved Pentland connections recorded with the name Pendleton or Pentleton but one example given below, Philip Pendleton of Meath and Dublin can be traced back to an ancient Pendleton family in England. He can easily mislead the unwary since his home was at Blackhall, Termonfeckin, indeed he may even have built the house. So far, however, evidence suggests that his only connection with the Pentland family was that he sold them Blackhall.

Pendleton deaths;

Henry L Pendleton; 12/5/1854 (18)
Beechworth Australia
Eldest son of Captain H L Pendleton
----
Samuel Pendleton (Derry); 1836 Hardwicke st Dublin
---
Rev.Edmund Charles; 1846
Dunmanaway Cork
--
Anna Maria Pendleton; 1841
Upper Leeson st Dublin