Author Topic: ENNISKERRY HEADSTONES  (Read 9805 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ENNISKERRY HEADSTONES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Curtlestown is a chapel of ease for the RC parish of Enniskerry, so that's the parish to check for records, but like many RC parishes it did not keep records of historic death/burials in it's registers.

A search to see if there's a headstone may be the only option. Sometimes newspaper death notices can help confirm which cemetery was used.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 July 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
I had a chance to have a quick look around the Cemetery at Curtlestown Lower, It's located on the south-facing slope behind the church. Most of the headstones are clear to read, but no sign of any Flynn/Flinn that I could see.

There were some older, badly weathered stones that I didn't have time to examine more closely, and also a number of plots with no headstones, or simple wooden crosses that appeared to be unmarked.

The townland of Annacrievey borders the north of the graveyard.

Thom's directory lists the townland in the Enniskerry section as 'Annacrevey' (Annacrivey on the townland index), and seems to include a listing for your Thomas in the 1914 edition. There's also listing for a Thomas Flynn in later 1927 and 1930 editions .. maybe the directory entries were slightly behind with the details, or a son took over the property ?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 July 13 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for looking into this for me - its very much appreciated. Yes his son was also called Thomas and is listed as a farmer, unmarried and living with Thomas Flynn senior in the 1911 census. On the death cert it was Thomas's daughter Sarah Farrell from Seaview, Bray who registered the death. I know from the petty court sessions on the Enniskerry Heritage Website that Thomas Flynn was also living and working as a farmer in Ballybrew, Enniskerry in 1860. Is there anywhere else other than Curtlestown that Thomas and Maria could possibly be buried?   

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 July 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
First of all great that Shane took a look for you at Curtlestown.   I also hope to be up that way soon and will, of course, keep an eye out too.    As Thomas's daughter lived in Bray, I would suggest that you try St.Peters in Little Bray.  There is a cemetery attached to St.Peters.  This is the link to a Website giving information for this Church
http://www.dublindiocese.ie/guidebook/parish/134
and you will be able to get in touch by email - click on "Contact us".   
Joy

Offline enniskerry_hist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 July 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
While not nearly as comprehensive as Joy's amazing work, I have photographed the headstones at Curtlestown this month, and logged all the surnames found.
See names here: http://enniskerryhistory.org/home/index.php/archives/2477 and link to photographs is there to browse.

All the best,
Michael
www.enniskerryhistory.org

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 July 13 16:38 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Michael.  That is brilliant work, and I know just how hard it must have been to cover all there.   I was also at Curtlestown recently, and found it "hard going" - perhaps the heat of the day !!  I only managed to record a small number.  Also I didn't have a lot of time to spend there.   In fact, I sent mine off to IGP Archives earlier today and they should be uploaded by tomorrow.

Alan, did you have any luck with my suggestion to contact the church in Little Bray?

Joy

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 July 13 16:35 BST (UK) »
Michael,

Brilliant work. This work is invaluable to people who cannot get to Ireland to trace their roots. I stand in awe of you and Joy. I have done a tiny amount of research into my paternal family and these headstones are going to make my research so much easier.
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline enniskerry_hist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 July 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks and happy to do so. I feel a bit dizzy in Joy's company though; a sunny afternoon photographing a graveyard with nice views does really pale into insignificance in comparison to her meticulous work documenting headstones in many graveyards!

Joy, delighted to hear you've started on Curtlestown - if these photos are of any use or have a home on the IGP site, happy to share them as they will probably have more visibility there. If so, can arrange over an email.
All the best,
Michael

Michael,

Brilliant work. This work is invaluable to people who cannot get to Ireland to trace their roots. I stand in awe of you and Joy. I have done a tiny amount of research into my paternal family and these headstones are going to make my research so much easier.

Offline joytun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 July 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
You are far too generous with your compliments Michael.   
I shall be in touch by email regarding your photos - I would just love to have them for IGP.  It would save me time making a return trip etc.
Thanks a million
Joy