Author Topic: James Chambers, Peebles area.  (Read 6046 times)

Offline Janeesca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Chambers, Peebles area.
« on: Friday 20 July 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Looking for a lead on James Chambers, father of Christian Chambers who was b c 1740, in Peebles, maybe at Eddlestone, or Manor where her marriage in 1766 to a James Scot, took place. I have been unable to go back further than 1766 regarding the parents of Christian.
Thanks.
Jane

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Chambers, Peebles area.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this of any use to you but I had a look in the Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) in Peeblesshire to see if I could find any Chambers family in Manor for you but could not.

However I did find the following and it may be of interest: -

Eddleston Churchyard
(Flat on ground) Jas Scott (Leadburnhead) d May 1789, w Chr Chalmers June 1797, s Wm April 1789 (1)

:)Brina

Offline Janeesca

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Chambers, Peebles area.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Brina,
I know about the Monumental Inscription at Eddlestone, in fact I went over there to see it, (I live in Fife) The tombstone is now propped up against the wall,  I believe that Sheila Scott took the reading c. 1960's so time has not been kind to the tombstone, the script is barely readable now.   I do believe this is the burial site of my James Scot and Christian Chambers and their 13 year old son William, going by the records I have.
Christian Chambers married James Scot at Manor, Peebles, in 1766, the father of both  had the Christian name of James. I am trying to go back further than 1766, but this is proving to be difficult.
Thank you so much for getting in touch.
Regards,
Jane