Author Topic: Ancestors of Samuel Kerr, Carrickfergus  (Read 20297 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestors of Samuel Kerr, Carrickfergus
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 July 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
The marriage is also on LDS website. Children also listed there:

Sarah Hay born 9 January 1866 Ballycarry, Co. Antrim (page 618 in civil register)
Mary Hay born 27 June 1868 Carrickfergus
Elizabeth Jane Hay born 12 April 1873 Co. Antrim
Sarah Jane Hay born 19 June 1875 Co. Antrim

Put 'wisnom' in surname box and there are quite a few possible relations-
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 July 11 19:51 BST (UK) »
John Wisnom farmer of Carrickfergus died 11.1.1890 and left his estate to his 2 daughters Nancy & Mary Ann. Then another John Wisnom, farmer, of Carrickfergus died 22.1.1904. His will mentions sons Francis, & William, daughter Mary Ellen Auld, and his widowed sister in law. The wills can be seen on:

www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm
Elwyn

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 July 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.....my Dads middle name is Wisnom, and he has a real obscure story as to where it came from...at the age of 83, he will finally know the truth...he will be so disappointed as his story is more exciting!
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 July 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Family stories are always interesting- perhaps there's a grain of truth in his but it's just a bit further back in the family tree  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 July 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
How can I find out the wherabouts of a farm in North East Division, Carrickfergus.
The area is Loughmourne, possibly 168 North East Division, and where is Lydons Park, Loughmourne.
As always, thanks to everyone for their help on this thread so far,
Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 July 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
Lyndons Park is beside Loughmourne. It is to the east of the modern Loughmourne Rd. You can see it on the Griffiths Valuation maps:

www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Search on place name, Carrickfergus and then pick North East division from the options. It'll take you to an 1860s map of the area. You can overlay a modern map using the slider in the top RH corner.
Elwyn

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 July 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Elwyn!

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kerr family
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 July 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on 3 children of Samuel Kerr and Margaret Ann Millar
Elizabeth Kerr born 1.11.1858 Carrickfergus, I can't find her on 1901 census, had she married or perhaps died.

Margaret Kerr born 3.10.1862 Carrickfergus, on 1911 census @ 54 Matchett Street, living with brothers John and William and Johns children. Did she marry or does anyone know date she died.

William Kerr born 4.3.1867 Carrickfergus, @54 Matchett Street, Belfast on 1911 census. Again, did he marry or does anyone date of death.

I would appreciate any information, Betty

Offline Wisnom1813

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
I would love to hear your father's story about how he received his middle name! It may help me identify John Wisnom's (father of Jane Wisnom) father. My maiden name is Wisnom. My ancestor immigrated from Ballycarry in 1868 to San Mateo, California, USA.

This is what I have on John Wisnom: John Wisnom (b. 1807) leased land in the NE Division in 1862 at the time of the first Griffith’s Valuation. He held that property until in 1900 the property was renamed to his granddaughter, Mary McNeilly. The property was next door to John McDowell. The Will of John Wisnom late of NE DIVISION, Carrickfergus Farmer who died 5 November 1890 at same place was proved at Belfast by John M'Dowell (Junior) - son-in-law, of Loughmorne Carrickfergus Farmer the surviving Executor. Estate equally divided between daughters Nancy and Mary Ann. Nancy Wisnom and John McDowell were named Executors in original will signed on Nov 15, 1887.At the time of John's death, Nancy had passed. Unable to determine who John McDowell was married to at the time of John’s death.

Also in the NE Division during the Griffith Valuation are: Isaac Wisnom (Wisnam) (#90). b. 1810 in Duffs Hill; William Wisnom (b. 1791) leased land in the NE Division (#86) from 1862 to 1879 (In 1879, son Joseph Wisnom (b. 1829) took over the lease); John Wisnom (b 1816) leased land in the NE Division (#140) from 1862 to 1900 (. In 1900, son Frank W. Wisnom (b 1852) took over the lease on the 15 acres and managed it through 1920.); and Sarah Wisnom (?) leased land in the NE Division (#59) from 1862 to 1872. I am not sure where your ancestors property was located at this time, however, John Wisnom's #140 property is the closest to Lyndon's Park.