Author Topic: James Morrisroe of Tondragee near Ballaghadereen  (Read 11861 times)

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never stop searching for the genealogical truth
    • View Profile
James Morrisroe of Tondragee near Ballaghadereen
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 02:24 BST (UK) »
Greetings All!

Searching for the whereabouts of;

James Morrisroe
Born 15 Jul 1877 in Tondragee
Baptized 27 July 1877 - Fr. D. o'Hara
witnesses - Pat Morrisroe and Bridget Morrisroe

Birth is proved by Bapt. records at Ballaghadereen/St Nathy's and civil birth record. No further information can be found about James coming to America or Pat and Mary. Wondering if James may have died as a baby?... they all go to the workhouse? Anyone know about records of the workhouse in that area?

Parents are:
Pat Morrisroe and
Mary Morrisroe (yes, nee was Morrisroe)(her father was James Morrisroe)
Pat and Mary married 19 Jan 1873
witnesses; Joseph Grady and Bridget Morrisroe

Note: James (the one I am searching for had only one sibling and her name was;
Anne /Anna born 26 Sept 1874 (proved)
(more info on Anne can be found at a different posting, but a lot is known)

Morrisroe - County Mayo and  County Roscommon
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Morrisroe of Tondragee near Ballaghadereen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Seamiuse,

For the purpose of the Griffiths Valuation the Townland name Curraghsallagh was used but locally it included an area called Briarfield which contained one school prior to the establishment of the Currasallagh National School in 1891. The school in Briarfield was a a barn in a field owned by Pat Morrisroe and the teacher was a Mary Morrisroe. Currasallagh held a school where a Pat Mc Dermot later lived. These schools were mere latter day Hedge Schools run by travelling scholars.

Taken from Tales from Two Schools - Souvenir Booklet.

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 09:26 BST (UK) »
Curraghsallagh is a townland in Lisacul which forms the parish of Loughglynn and you should find a little more with the LDS film for Loughglynn/Lisacul.

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank You for the information Padraig. I think however that these are different Morrisroe's. The Morrisroe's  I search for were farmers. In an area of Tondragee/Tonregee I know they lived there were some 6 farms in a row.

I REALLY wish that the parish in the area was more forthcoming with their death records.  >:( The cemetery hasn't been indexed either. I have a feeling that I would find Pat. Mary and possibly a young James.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi 'Seam...'

I take it that this is the Anne that you are refering to

anne morrisroe

Did Anne emmigrate to America ?

If so when ?

Have you seen this research page ?

morrisroe research

Tara

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Seamiuse,

I noted from your other thread that you were looking at Pat and Mary combos and had focused on Curraghsallagh plot 27. My people were next door for a while at 29, and offered the information to supplement what you already have.

My understanding is that Roe or the earleir form Ruadh was used to denote a physical characteristic, mainly red hair, to distinguish them  from family(ies) with the same name living in the same area. I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong. Conclusion is the root family is probably named Morris and may derive from the Morris clan of Galway .

The site http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/burialgrounds/search.aspx , from list all graveyards gives a contact James Coogan for the  two Kilcolman burial grounds which in all probabilities is where they are. A further site http://www.interment.net/ireland/roscommon.htm lists an Ann Ryan who has completed projects for other areas of Roscommon and may be able to help with your enquiry.

I know there are a number of amateur historians connected with a publication called Voices who may give you an idea on what other information may be available on Ballagh from the past and an enquiry to this end directed at the principal librarian at Ballagh Library may be an idea. I tried to tie these people down on my last day when I was over last but their work prevented this.Snail mail would be the option.

Once you have a clearer picture, hopefully, certification should be a bit nearer.

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
Greetings Tara,

Yes, that is our Anna you reference. She came to America about 1889-1890 by herself to meet with relatives it is said. I've not been able to find her prior to her being married to John.

Yes, the webpage you reference is mine.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Greetings Padraig,

I would have to see the old post for my reference to Curraghsallagh. memory is fading I guess. Could you post a link to it, I can't seem to locate the post and see what you added.

Yes, you are correct; MacMaurisRuadh = Son of Mauris the Red

Years ago I spoke to the caretaker but no information was gathered, nor on a personal visit to 4 of the cemetery's. Then again, in the old ones the stones were barely visible and so many are overgrown that even though days were spent, Pat and Mary (and or James) were found.

I spent a lot of time in correspondence and tele with the librarian you reference since the late 80's and not much has been located. Seems the family just drops off after about 1877.

I have viewed Anne Ryans's work and the Mary and Pat she ref's are not the ones I search for, the dates are too far off. I have also seen other lists on the net of the kilcolman cemetery's but they don't show there either.

The two Bishop's since 1980's have been of IMMENSE help, as has their archivists in assisting me in "Project Morrisroe".

THANK YOU, and all for your assistance.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 12 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Your posts I am referring to are 4/5 October 2010. Just go to your profile and review all your posts.

Regional heritage and genealogy have taken off over the last 15 years since it has become such a money spinner and what was not accessible 20 years ago has emerged through the fog. The Voices publication is only in the last few years and those working on it may have snippets of info crucial to your search.

I am aware of a mapping project of a cemetery in Northwest Roscommon but as yet do not know which one and when it will be completed. I will post what I am able to find out in the next week or so as I am dealing with people accustomed to Irish Time if you know what I mean.