Author Topic: McKerlies - Campbell's Croft, Old Luce, Wigtownshire, 1700's  (Read 20910 times)

Offline PlayaCofi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKerlies - Campbell's Croft, Old Luce, Wigtownshire, 1700's
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 11:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents and siblings of James McKerlie, b. 1808 at Campbell's Croft, Old Luce, Wigtownshire. James married Annie Reid and my husband decends from their son James, b. 1839.

Other sites list his father as George McKerlie, b. 1762 - d.1845 but they do not provide any citations.

The Wigtown Press cites this:

M'KERLIE, George - D2/9/1844 - At Whithorn, on the 2d inst., George M'Kerlie, Esq., for 52 years resident in Jamaica, aged 82 years. Born 1762.

St. Ninions cites:

Stone lying against the south dyke...in poor condition...Erected by Barbara SHARI in Whithorn in memory of George McKERLIE her Uncle who died in 1841 aged 82yrs.

The only George McKerlie I can find in a scottish census is 1841, age 79 living with 2 much younger people (20 & 35) no relation.

Jamacian records also indicate that George McKerlie and Peter McKie were partners in a small plantation in St. Catherine's Parish in the 1820's to 1830's.

This could also be inaccurate information and George and Agnes may not be James's parents after all. Some people also say he was born in Old Luce, other say Ireland.

My problem is that I cannot find anything (citations) linking them together.

I also would like information on George's family, that is if it is available.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McKerlies - Campbell's Croft, Old Luce, Wigtownshire, 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Were there two George McKerlies who died early 1840s? You mention:

St. Ninions cites:

Stone lying against the south dyke...in poor condition...Erected by Barbara SHARI in Whithorn in memory of George McKERLIE her Uncle who died in 1841 aged 82yrs.

There also looks to be the second George McKerlie that you have found, who resided for a long time in Jamaica; mention of his death in the Wigtownshire Press in 1844. There is also a Wills & Testament entry for this George from 1844 on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Given the locality and timings, maybe other researchers are getting confused between both George Mckerlies?

What details, if any, were included on James McKerlie's death registration?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 12 16:19 BST (UK) »
No.10 on this link gives a good summary of the life of James McKerlie www.btinternet.com/~fraser.hamilton2/fptn04.htm

Either his death in 1893 or his second marriage to Martha Love Horner in 1883 might provide more clues on his parents, as details of his parents' names should be recorded on both/either registration (I would go first for his re-marriage certificate as this will include info he himself gave):

Headstone in Glenluce Churchyard
Erected by James McKerlie,Whitecairn.
In memory of Anne Reid,his wife
who died 27May1882 age 75
Also his children Annie died 16Apr1854 age 17
Hugh died 17Oct1855 age 24
Also his grand-daughter Elizabeth McKerlie who died 3Jan1856 age 1 year
Also the above James McKerlie who died at Clashmaew,Inch 11Aug1893 age 86.
James McKerlie did not leave a will.His wife Martha registered his death.

www.btinternet.com/~fraser.hamilton2/fptn04.htm

See also from his census summary what the confusion is regarding a birth place (Ireland v. Wigtownshire).

Monica

Offline PlayaCofi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Monica,

I did notice a few days ago the inconsistancy of "place of birth" on the census. Thanks to your email I have found out that the George McKerlie that died Sept. 2, 1944 is NOT the George McKerlie that I have been looking for.

But the good news is that I can clear up the issue of the 2 George McKerlie's (thanks to Monica's suggestion of going to Scotlandspeople.

Let's start with the George McKerlie mentioned about. While thinking he was my husbands ancestor I started researching a 1841 census that showed he was then 79 years old.

I did find George McKerlie on a 1841 census. He was living with:

Barbara Sharp b. 1806 age 35
Mary McCubbin b. 1821 age 20

Yesterday, after hours of searching for a definitive conclusion whether George and Agnes were were indeed James's parents b. 1808 I decided to try another angle. I decided to look into the younger persons on the census.

This is where it gets a little confusing.

I decided to start with Mary McCubbin. It turns out that she was the daughter of John McCubbin b. 1799 and Elizabeth Beggs b. 1797. John McCubbin also had a son named William b. 1823. This William was married to Margaret McKie b. 1821 who was the daughter of Peter McKie, b. 1780 George's business partner in Jamaica. (I have the Jamaica files from St. Catherine's Parish in Jamaica to back that up.)

So I kinda now could connect George McKerlie b. 1762 via the McKie's to the George mentioned in the 1841 census.

But again this is not my George. In Scotlandspeople I also found the death notice for my George. He died on June 9th, 1944. One line in the parish book

I always also do a story search on who I am reseaching. While doing that I found a copy of the original Parish death record that someone posted for William McCubbin.

Low and behold, the name under it was our James McKerlie, b.1808 and the record shows his parents were indeed George McKerlie and Agnes McDowell. Not the George McKerlie that had the Jamaica connection.

The information in the Parish Book for James's death is as follows:

Death Notice of James McKerlie

1893 Deaths in the Parish if Inch in the County of Wigtown
James Mckerlie
Retired Farmer
Married to Martha Horner (previously to Annie Reid)
Died 11 Aug 1893, 7th Hour 15 min, PM
Place – Clashmahew
86 Years
Father – George McKerlie, Farmer, Retired
Mother – Agnes McKerlie, M.S. McDowall
Cause of Death – Hypertrophy to the Prostate Gland 10 years, Chronic Cystitis 10 years, exhaustion 4 months
As certified by John A. Anderson, MD
Present – Martha Horner
Registar

John Banks
August 14th, 1893

I will be posting the original on Ancestry when I upload the family tree.

So indeed I am still trying to find George and Agnes, James's parents

I still am trying to find George and Agnes's birthdates, parents etc.

This morning I downloaded the 1797 Horse Tax Rolls for Wigtownshire County. There are numerous different spellings for McKerlie's as well as McDowalls so that will be my goal for today.

Karen

Offline PlayaCofi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 12 17:29 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention a few things about George's will that may be helpful to people researching his family.

George died without issue. He left his estate to the following:

Nephews:

George McKerlie Sharp, residings in Ulls (?) County, Ireland

George McKerlie Elliott, Gardener at Ripley Castle, Yorkshire, England

Niece: Barbara Sharp (may be married to John Broadfoot Jr., it wasn't quite clear

He also mentions the daughters of John Broadfoot Sr Merchant of Whithorn:

Jane
Isabella
Agnes
Maryann

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 12 18:12 BST (UK) »
Big progress for you by the sounds of it!

So there were two George's then?!

The George McKerlie, Independent, who shows with a Barbara Sharp and Mary McCubbin in 1841 is not your (husband's) ancenstor? This is the George with the Jamaican connenctions?

Have you seen the other George on the 1841 census? Age showing as 70, but 1841 census ages are always tricky:

Robert MCMASTER, 28, Ag Lab    
Elizabeth MCMASTER, 27
George MCKERLY, 70, Ag Lab, Ireland           
John MCKERLY, 15, Ag Lab         
Agnes MURHEAD, 15, female servant        
Agnes MATHEWS, 3   

Address: Caldons, Stoneykirk    

The death details are always great to confirm. By the way, these details are from the statutory registers (not parish registers). The 1883 marriage will also reconfirm his parents' details. Interesting to see the shock of the family's reaction from the Kirk Session minutes to his marriage from his son James to a 19 year old girl in 1883...

Monica  :)       

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
Given how long the McKerlie are referenced as living at Campbell Croft, how great it must be that there is a photo of it from here www.btinternet.com/~fraser.hamilton2/indexfpf.htm

Offline PlayaCofi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
I have that Monica, Thanks.

Offline PlayaCofi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 12 18:43 BST (UK) »
Monica,

You may have found something! I have not seen this census yet but I have not gotten off the spelling "McKerlie" so until I did.....

That was my chore for today. Going through the name variations of McKerlie's on the 1797 Horse Taxes Roll.

I got waylaid. I live in the Spanish Virgin Islands on an island called Vieques and my downstairs is only 400 SF. I had files on the floor in certain piles, on the dining table, on the kitchen counter...Get my drift? It was time to organize, I was going crazy loosing-mispacing files.

That done now, I can hop onto this.

Thanks a bunch

Big progress for you by the sounds of it!

So there were two George's then?!

The George McKerlie, Independent, who shows with a Barbara Sharp and Mary McCubbin in 1841 is not your (husband's) ancenstor? This is the George with the Jamaican connenctions?

Have you seen the other George on the 1841 census? Age showing as 70, but 1841 census ages are always tricky:

Robert MCMASTER, 28, Ag Lab    
Elizabeth MCMASTER, 27
George MCKERLY, 70, Ag Lab, Ireland           
John MCKERLY, 15, Ag Lab         
Agnes MURHEAD, 15, female servant        
Agnes MATHEWS, 3   

Address: Caldons, Stoneykirk    

The death details are always great to confirm. By the way, these details are from the statutory registers (not parish registers). The 1883 marriage will also reconfirm his parents' details. Interesting to see the shock of the family's reaction from the Kirk Session minutes to his marriage from his son James to a 19 year old girl in 1883...

Monica  :)