Author Topic: Calder family of Chesterfield  (Read 15519 times)

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Calder family of Chesterfield
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 July 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes I know the person who took the broach to the Antique Roadshow as we both attended Miss Calder's School.

I have a wonderful book, which Miss Florence gave me when the school was closing.  It is religious stories
she used to read from it every morning, in what would have been our "Morning Assembly", that is if we had been
a large national school.

Miss Florence was very strict, a wonderful teacher not just of the three Rs but in manners, politeness and courtesy.
I eventually married another pupil of Miss Calder's School, by this stage she would have been 91 we were duly sent
for in order that she could give her blessing.

Happy memories.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 July 12 09:49 BST (UK) »
Wonderful stories!!  Florence would have been my husband's great grandfather's first cousin.  It's such a lovely coincidence that you knew her! :D

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:10 BST (UK) »
The father of Rev Calder, Chesterfield:

Leeds Intelligencer 5th July 1851
Died
Cheltenham – On the 20th ult., at his residence, the REV. FRED. CALDER, in the 66th year of his age, father of the Rev. F Calder, the respected head master of Chesterfield Grammar School.

1841 Census
Bedminster, Bristol
Fredrick Calder 55 Wesleyan Minister No
Christiana Calder 50 Ind No
Maria Calder 15 In No

Hereford Journal 29th August 1849
Marriages
Aug 22, at St Marys Church, Cheltenham, the Reverend Richard Hardy, Wesleyan Minister of Worcester, to Maria, daughter of the Rev F Calder, Wesleyan Minister, of the former town.

1851 Census
14, Clarence Square, Cheltenham
Frederic Calder Head 65 Retired Wesleyan Minister Lincoln, Lincolnshire
C Calder Wife 62 Doncaster, Yorkshire
F Calder Daughter 37 Tempsford, Bedfordshire

Bristol Mercury 5th July 1851
Died
June 20 in Clarence Square, Cheltenham, aged 65, the Rev. Frederic Calder, Wesleyan Minister.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 July 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
The mother of Rev Calder, Chesterfield:

Extracts from “Memoir of Mrs Maria Calder”
Late wife of the Rev Frederic Calder by whom she had four sons and two daughters.
She died 13th June 1825 aged 36 in Margate. Interred at Countess of Huntingdons Chapel, Margate.
Father : John Macartha Sharpe, Solicitor General of Grenada, West Indies.
Maternal Grandfather: Sir Gillies Payne, Baronet, of Tempsford Hall, Beds, who also had extensive estates in West Indies.

Offline MinnieNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dave, that is fantastic.  I've come to realise that my own family tree of publicans, bigamists and petty criminals was in a whole different class to my husband's ancestors!!  ;)

Looks like, if I am reading that correctly, Frederick Snr remarried someone called Christiana after Maria's death...

Oh, and incidentally, Spendlove, I successfully bid on the book you linked to one Ebay, so will look forward to receiving that also!  Thanks so much for putting me on to that! :D

Offline CalderNZ

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 June 15 01:29 BST (UK) »
The Rev Frederic(k) Calder (13/9/1785 - 20 June 1851) did indeed remarry after his first wife Maria sadly died 13/6/1825 aged about 36, having borne six children. Fred Snr (as we abbreviate him) married Christiana Waller in Doncaster on 23/1/1828. We don't have a DOB for Christiana, but she outlived Frederick by 11 years. The Bedforshire-born daughter F Calder, noted at Cheltenham in the 1851 census was Fanny Calder, Frederick and Maria's eldest. She never married.
The Rev Frederick (Fred Jnr) married his first wife Jane née Appleyard, in 1841 in Leeds. She died aged only 44 after bearing nine children, of whom the fourth, William, also took holy orders and was the ancestor who came to New Zealand. Their eldest son, Frederick William, married Sarah Walker. Their third child was Florence Sousloff Calder was born 13/3/1876 and lived for 94 years of age, dying in Belper, Derbyshire. She was completely unknown to her NZ relatives (I would have been 25 when she died). She must be the Florence whose brooch began this thread. It is Frederick snr's parents, John and Hannah (née Castelow) Calder of Lincoln, that we are desperate to learn more about.

Offline PCalder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi MinnieNZ,

I hope I'm not too late to this conversation. It would seem your husband and I are very distant cousins - my 4x great grandfather is Thomas Calder, the younger brother of Frederic(k) Calder Senior. Thomas (b. 1795) came to New Brunswick, Canada where he sought (and seemingly received) a land-grant in 1821. His descendants frequently crossed the US/Canadian border (I'm from the US side).

I've also reached a dead end on researching John Calder and Hannah Castelow.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat PCalder and CalderNZ, Minnie has been notified of your reply hopefully they will get in touch very soon.

Regards

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk