Author Topic: Link: Hebridean emigrants (chargeable website)  (Read 6528 times)

Offline shanghaipanda

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Link: Hebridean emigrants (chargeable website)
« on: Monday 23 July 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether forum users are aware of a new site set up by Bill Lawson - it may prove useful to those searching family from the Western Isles/Hebrides.

http://www.hebridespeople.com

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Hebridean emigrants
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether forum users are aware of a new site set up by Bill Lawson - it may prove useful to those searching family from the Western Isles/Hebrides.

http://www.hebridespeople.com/

I had an EMail about this today, the site uses a voucher system like Scotland's People but not been able to work out if you can do an initial search without a voucher.  I tried entering a range of surnames and none produce any results and no message to say you need to pay before you see anything.  I would have expected the normal method of giving some minimal results to encourage you to pay to get full details so I am puzzled!

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Hebridean emigrants (chargeable website)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Just found this old thread.

You have to buy credits before you can view anything!

I couldn't remember what it said exactly when it became available so I did a search with a very common surname & this was the result;

"Credits Required
Found 5 results.

User xxxxxx has 0 credits left. Purchase more credits.

You will need to use 1 credit to view this item but you do not have enough credits left.
In order to proceed you will need to purchase more credits.
"

So, no 'try before you buy'  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline newbeginings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Hebridean emigrants (chargeable website)
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 March 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
They have a centre in the south of the Island of Harris.  May be more productive/fun/economical to go in there if anyone is in the area for holidays or somesuch.  The data is based on the aural history taken from the naming convention of an individual being known as 'A son of B son of C son of D....' all in Gaelic of course, all taken down sometime 1960s/70s/80s I think by Mr Lawson who married into the locality.

I have been there twice, and once I 'anounced' who I was received help and was not charged what I 'should' have been.