Author Topic: Farnan Family Ireland  (Read 7384 times)

Offline me4u2nz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farnan Family Ireland
« on: Tuesday 24 July 12 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, This is my first post. Could someone tell me where I apply for a birth certificate for Henry Farnan b 18 Apr 1849 County Down, Ireland? Is it possible to order this birth certificate  online?  Is there a census I can look up for Belfast, Northern Ireland 1900? I am looking for the family of Patrick Farnan and Margaret nee Tracey. They had a son John James Frederick Farnan b 1894. I am interested  to find any other siblings; any information on this family would be wonderful?

me4u2nz

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Farnan Family Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Henry's birth was well before the start of civil birth records in 1864, so there will be no birth cert available. You will need to check for church records to see if you can locate his baptism. To this this you need two vital details : the denomination of your Farnan family, and also their precise location - i.e. the townland, town or parish.

The 1901 and 1911 census are available on the National Archives website at : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

See these topics :

Introduction to Irish Records
   My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
For the 1901 and 1911 censuses see here:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

The closest I can find for John James and his parents in 1901 is this family, although the father here is listed as Joseph Owen Farnan not Patrick.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Falls_Ward/Ward_Street/981618/
There are six kids total.

In 1911 five of the kids, including John, are living together:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Falls/Leoville_Street/173865/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Margaret Tracey married OWEN JOSEPH Farnan in 1886 in Belfast. I don't know if it's relevant but Owen Joseph's father was Owen

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline me4u2nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, Thanks ever so much for your information re looking for Henry Farnan's birth.  I do not know precise location, only County Down. He is my gt grandfather, married Sarah Dillon in Scotland 1874.  Their marriage certificate  gives his mother as Margaret Rugan/?Rogan, his father James.  I suspect they were catholic denomination.  Family legend is that their church was burnt down. I believe the St John's Chapel, Glasgow, where they were married no longer exists, perhaps this one burnt down. Any ideas how to search parish registers in County Down online I would be grateful for.  Kind Regards

Offline me4u2nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose, Thanks very much for finding John James F. Farnan.  His father's name was given as  Patrick, occupation Waiter, on his death certificate. Sometimes death details on our NZ death certificates are not accurate. John James F. Farnan was a fireman in the Merchant Navy. I am trying to establish how he is related to my gt grandfather Henry Farnan.  By chance when searching NZ Electoral Rolls, I discovered he lived next door to my gt grandparents for a couple of years.

Kind Regards

Offline me4u2nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerwell,

Thanks so much for finding Margaret Tracey's marriage to Owen Joseph Farnan.  Easy too, for me to remember in future his father also Owen.  I am excited to see Henry Leo Farnan, as I found very few Henry Farnans when searching.  My gt grandfather Henry Farnan named my grandfather Henry.

Kind Regards

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 18:14 BST (UK) »
There was a Henry Farnin born to father James Farnin and mother Anne Rogan in 1842 in Ballynahinch, catholic.

Also, there was a marriage for James Farnan to Margaret Rogan in 1827 in Magheradrool (just over a mile SE of Ballynahinch town). Again catholic.

Maybe connected to your Farnans?

BTW, modified this to add that a witness to the 1827 marriage was a Henry Farnan, so again that forename surfaces...

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
A baptismal/birth index search for James Farnan (and alternative spellings) and Margaret Rogan brings back: Mary Farnan b.1828; Michael Farnan b.1830; Sarah Farnon b.1837; Ellen Farnan b.1839; Catherine Farnin b.1845. All County Down.

Still doesn't conclusively tie Henry's birth in, unless mother's name was Margaret Anne (or Anne Margaret) Rogan...