Author Topic: Sir John Moore / Capt Wild / General Doughty  (Read 1621 times)

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sir John Moore / Capt Wild / General Doughty
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am looking for some information / history / link between the 3 gentlemen listed above.

From family letters we know:

- Capt Wild is my 4x Great Grandfather of the 22nd Regiment who married Emma Doughty, daughter of General Doughty and niece of Sir John Moore.
- Captain Wild fought throughout the Peninsular War with Sir Arthur Wellesley, afterwards Duke of Wellington.
- He was wounded five times and taken prisoner of war by the French (twice). He escaped and got back to the British army.
- Retired at the end of the war. Lived in Manchester as proprietor of the Spread Eagle Tavern, Deansgate and was well known as "the crusty old major", the rank he retired on.
- He had a Daughter - Emma Caroline Wild (my 3x G Grandmother).
- I can find ref to a Capt Benjamin Wild of the 29th Regiment (there was a Benjamin Wild present as a witness as Emma Caroline Wild's marriage to Thomas Hesselgrave)

What I can't find is the link between Moore and Doughty. As Moore never married, the only possible connection is through Moore's sister Jane, who could have married a Doughty, but can fin no trace.

I can also find no trace of a General Doughty in the British Army.

Any information on the history of these gentlemen (Wild & Doughty - obviously alot written about Moore) would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
Marcus

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sir John Moore / Capt Wild / General Doughty
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:53 BST (UK) »
- Captain Wild fought throughout the Peninsular War with Sir Arthur Wellesley, afterwards Duke of Wellington.
- He was wounded five times and taken prisoner of war by the French (twice). He escaped and got back to the British army.

Hi,
The info above doesn't appear to fit with the 22nd Regt, who weren't in the Peninsular War at all.
Unless I suppose he was detached from the regiment and serving as an ADC or some other HQ role.

Apart from the family letters, is his wife's name confirmed? When was the marriage?
I think I would take each link in the chain at a time, and that's the first one.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline Tyrannosaurus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
There were four Wild’s in the 1821 Army List, two in the 29th and one in the 48th, plus a Storekeeper. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=dgUcAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA804

There’s a card for Benjamin Wilde on the “Peninsula Roll Call” http://www.napoleon-series.org/research/biographies/GreatBritain/Challis/c_ChallisW.html

There’s more here about his wounding on 16 May.
http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/WellingtonsRegiments/c_29thFoot.html

I couldn’t find a British Army General Doughty, but there was a Solicitor-General Doherty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doherty_(politician)

Rex

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
What I can't find is the link between Moore and Doughty. As Moore never married, the only possible connection is through Moore's sister Jane, who could have married a Doughty, but can fin no trace

Jane Moore died a spinster in December 1842 and is buried at Richmond. Her will was proved in the PCC on 14 December 1842.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
in 1815 the 22nd foot were in cape colony
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk