Author Topic: Bagnall of Tullamore  (Read 16921 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bagnall of Clonminch
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 08:30 BST (UK) »
Headstones in St Catherines graveyard Clonminch;

Robert W Bagnall; Clonminch
25/10/1984 (58)
wife-Sybil Doris;
9/10/1998 (67)
--
Edward W Valentine Bagnall; Clonminch
10/7/1985 (56)
---
erected by William Bagnall for
wife-Martha Bagnall; 25/2/1887 (74)
William Bagnall; 17/12/1887 (73)
--
Robert Bagnall
31/3/1879 (75)
wife-Anne;
25/7/1879 (64)
Edward P Bagnall;
29/11/1949
Francis J Bagnall
17/5/1961
wife of above
---
James William Bagnall; Ballinvalley house Killeigh
13/11/1960 (71)
wife-Annie Jessie;
21/6/1984 (84)
--
Eliza Bagnall; Clonminch
9/8/1872 (65)
=============
Jack

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Rebecca Bagnall, born Clonminch 1847and any brothers, or sisters. Any help would be appreciated. C. of I.

There seems to be a baptism for Rebbeca on the Offaly section of RootsIreland  pay-website at : http://offaly.rootsireland.ie/

Free Index shows a match in 1847 in Tullamore CofI parish. Father's name appears to be John. You have to pay to view the full details, but you might be able to locate further details on possible siblings by experimenting with the free index. For Co. Offaly overall the free search reports 5 baptisms between 1837-1857 where the father's name is John Bagnall (free search for baptisms doesn't show children's names).

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the help. I got a copy of Rebecca's marriage certificate from GRO. It shows her father as Daniel and a witness as George Bagnall, who may be a brother. perhaps the only way to be sure is to see the original church records. I really wanted to be sure that Daniel is correct and to find out the name of her mother.

Moderator note - thought this sounded very familiar. Merged with previous topic.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Bagnall of Tullamore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Since the father for this Rebecca baptized in Tullamore is John and not Daniel, then either this is a different Rebecca Bagnall to the one on your family, or there's a mistake on the marriage record.

The index on RootsIreland is showing two matches in parish records for the marriage you mentioned, both in 1872. For some reason there's two Tullamore CofI parish listed in the drop-down - possibly a duplicate.

I cant seem to locate any details using the free index on father's names.

The only record I can see for a George Bagnall with father either Daniel or John on RootsIreland is too recent - birth 1872 in Mayo with father John.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:13 BST (UK) »
I have been through Griffith Valuations for Kings (Offaly) and nothing there.
In Queens (Laois) there is a Mrs Rebecca Bagnall who is a Tenant of the Earl of Orkney, she in turn is subletting to 5 other individuals. From the marriage certificate it states Daniel as the father of Rebecca, it does not mean that he was alive in 1872.
Daniel is a Biblical name and a few of the Bagnall families used these names for their children.
I know that when Rebecca Bagnall married, she and her husband emigrated to Texas. Would there be any forms which would show her parents name.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
maybe a death cert for Rebecca ?
US death certs usually include parents names - providing the informant had the details.

Have you found Robert and Rebecca on any US census returns ?

That Griffith's record for a Mrs. Rebecca Bagnall is dated 1850, so could possibly fit the timeline for your Rebecca's mother, maybe that she was a widow at that stage... but would suggest Laois rather than Offaly or Westmeath. The primary listing for this Mrs. Bagnall is in Attanagh civil parish which is in south Co. Laois on the border with Co. Kilkenny.

p.s. what was Robert's occupation ?
might explain why there seems to be mixed locations involved...

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have followed Rebecca and Robert's line through to this century.
Robert was from Geashill, where his parents had some land and I would think that Rebecca was from within 10 miles of this place, which takes in Tullamore, Before they went to Texas they had a son called Robert James Matthews born Ireland 11.08.1876. Perhaps his birth certificate may tell me where they were living.
It is 21 miles from Tullamore (Offaly) to Portlaoise (Laois).

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
they had a son called Robert James Matthews born Ireland 11.08.1876. Perhaps his birth certificate may tell me where they were living.

I'm not seeing any matches in the Laois/Offaly area for that birth in extracted or civil BMD Index records... just two Robert Matthews births in 1876 - one in Mohill district, the other in Belfast.

There are however two extracted births listed for Robert and Rebecca on 26 Feb 1873 and 08 Nov 1874 - both unnamed males at registration. No location other than 'Ireland' is shown for either. For some reason neither seem to be showing up on the BMD Index for me...  see : Matthews/Bagnall births

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Lance Matthews

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
If I can find the correct birth certificate for the son of Rebecca and Robert Matthews it would be very helpful. I would think that it is highly likely that after their marriage they lived with one of their parents. If they lived at Geashill their son would have been baptised at St.Mary's. If they lived with Rebecca's parents it would have been in the Tullamore region. I Have a birth date for their son of 11.08.1876, but no village/County mentioned.
I have never found their details for entering the U.S.A.