Author Topic: Beaufoy / Boffey - Stapenhill / Newhall  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Beaufoy / Boffey - Stapenhill / Newhall
« on: Thursday 26 July 12 12:34 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have know about these surnames ?

I have what appears to be the same person * appearing with both versions. I don't know if Beaufoy is a "gentrified"version of Boffey or Boffey a distorted version of Beaufoy, or indeed if they are entirely unconnected (they appear to be more alike written than spoken).

It would be good to hear from anyone with either or both these in their research.

*(Hannah Boffi married Thomas Thornewill 3 Oct 1814 Stapenhill, possibly the same person as Hannah Beaufoy bpt 21 Feb 1788 in Stapenhill/Newhall)

Thanks,
Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beaufoy / Boffey - Stapenhill / Newhall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 08:37 BST (UK) »
I have the Stapenhill Registers..and they make interesting reading...........almost certainly all versions of the name Beaufoy (Boffi and Boffey).are interchangeable..and are clearly phonetic mistakes..a case of the recorder hesring the name and not knowing the spelling.........I have unearthed evidence to prove this:

George and Hannah Beaufoy had at least five little Beaufoys between 1785 and 1802....and there are two other Beaufoy couples William and Lydia..and Thomas and Hannah......who had both Beaufoy and Bofi children.

The first GEORGE BEAUFOY married SARAH ORGILL 21.08.1769..and their son George married Sarah Ludlow 25.07.1806.............but there were NO BEAUFOY marriages!!..there were all BOFFI or BOFFEY.......

Again we have a William Beaufoy 15.10.1815 son of Wliiliam BOFFEY and Lydia nee Wilkinson..other children baptised Boffi..!!

and William Beaufoy 06.01.1822 son of Thomas and hannah BOFFI............other children born to same parents have names Boffi and Boffey...........

I have the full list of all marriages baptisms and burials of all three variations if you want them..........

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 12 10:21 BST (UK) »
Ok Pelago........you're going to need a clear head to cope with this lot!!

First. there IS a BEAUFOY marriage..just one:

SARAH BEAUFOY married William Solony 11.12.1808..but not before she had two illegitimate children:
MARY BEAUFOY baptised 12.06.1802..buried (as Beaufoy) 16.02.1803..and SAMUEL BEAUFOY buried 16.12.1806(son of Sarah Beaufoy,buried as Boffey)

GEORGE BOFFEY married Sarah Orgill 21.08.1769 and had the following children:-

Samuel (Boffy) 04.06.1770..Ann (Boffy) 05.04.1772.

There are no other George and Sarah couples that account for the next baptisms..than george boffey..though you may think the gap is rather large......these are BEAUFOY baptisms.....

George 10.04.1785...HANNAH 21.02.1788..William 19.01.1791..Thomas 08.09.1793..

It appears that George BEAUFOY 1785 married Sarah Ludlow (as George Boffey) 25.07.1806....and had the following children:-

George(Boffi) 25.03.1810.....Thomas (Boffi) 13.07.1812..John (Boffi) 17.04.1814...Samuel (Boffey) 01.09.1816..William (Boffi) 22.08.1819...Jane (Beaufoy !!) 23.12.1821...Benjamin (Boffi) 20.08.1826

There are only two George and Sarah partnerships in the Stapenhill Records....

The pattern is repeated in other marriages..........

William BEAUFOY 15.10.1815 is the son of William BOFFI who married Lydia Wilkinson 14.10.1811..and their three other children John 10.05.1812 (died infant) |john 21.11.1813..and Ann.are all BOFFI

Thomas Beaufoy 08.09.1793..married Hannah Parker 01.11.1819..as Thomas Boffey..had William Beaufoy 06.01.1822..and Hannah BOFFI 28.12.1823.......................and the list goes on!!

So i think you can safely assume that Hannah Beaufoy 21.02.1788..married Thomas Thornewill 03.10.1814 (recorded as BOFFI)

All the best

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Pelago

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this Derek. Was in London for the Olympics over a long weekend and saw your 1st reply on my phone. Now back so can work on this -  loads here that either matches or supplements some records I had. Cool that I can confirm George Beaufoy/Sarah Orgill as my 6th great grandparents !!

Many thanks!
Matthew
Cornwall:Tremelling,Tyzzer,Furse,Whitford,Bedick,Hawke,Retalick;Derbys:Sparam;Dorset:Ford,Farr,Adams,Crew,Lim,Mullens;IoW:Williams;Norfolk:Burrell,Chester,Hagon,Powles,Jennis,Daines,Gedge,Hood,Pooley,Spalding,Spurrell,Ebbage,Minister,Rushmer;Norfolk/Suffolk:Clarke;Hunts/Cambs:Canwell,Simons,trewen,Childs;Derbys/Burton:Dawson,Thornewill,Dent,Street,Bagnall,Parker,Brearley,Brunt,Dicken,Astle,Boffey/Beaufoy,Grundy,Hardwick,Heap,Ratclife;Suffolk:Phillips,Chilver,Alderton,Blumfield,Pain,Rolfe,Shulver

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
hi Matthew..nice to hear from you..hope you enjoyed the Olympics......feel free to come back if you feel i can help you more.

Derek.

Offline Grahammans

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have traced my paternal line back to George Beaufoy (Boffey) but can’t trace his ancestry further. His wife, Sarah nee Orgill, I can trace. Can anyone help please?