Author Topic: John BULFIN b 1836 son of William BULFIN of Corrigeen  (Read 12060 times)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
John BULFIN b 1836 son of William BULFIN of Corrigeen
« on: Friday 27 July 12 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  I am helping a cousin trace his ancesters.  We have arrived at John Bulfin b 1836 in Kings County and emmigrated to New Zealand to seek gold in the South Island.  In his Wedding Notice in the newspaper in 1868 it says that his father was William Bulfin from Corrigeen, Kings County. 

I have no idea how to go about tracing back from there.  Any hints or advice welcome  :D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0p4m/
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John BULFIN b 1836 son of William BULFIN of Corrigeen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 12 10:58 BST (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:28 BST (UK) »
In his Wedding Notice in the newspaper in 1868 it says that his father was William Bulfin from Corrigeen, Kings County. 

there could be another townland Corrigeen, but the one see is in Offerlane Civil parish in Co. Laois - formerly Queen's County.

There's a Carrigeen in Co. Offaly (King's county) that looks a better fit - Griffith's valuation  shows a William Bulfin at Carrigeen townland, Eglish civil parish, holding a house, offices (the term used on Griffith's for workshops & outbuildings) and land of nearly 60 acres.. see :

Bulfin - Griffith's valuation

This entry is dated 1854.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:39 BST (UK) »
Wow  :o

Thanks Shane,  that looks promising!  He rented a house an office and land - so a Farmer? 

Couldn't find John on Family Search, and sadly they don't list mothers in the wedding notices!

:)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:49 BST (UK) »
John's birth is quite a bit before civil records - so you would need to check for parish records, for a possible baptism. Do you know what denomination this Bulfin family were ?

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
John was buried in the Anglican Section of his local cemetery.  One of his daughters was married at the Presbyterian Church... 

http://www.interment.net/data/nz/otago/lawrence/lawrence_ac.htm

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0p4u/

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
The Church of Ireland (equivalent to CofE / Anglican) parish is the same as the civil parish in this case, but I dont see any listings for historic records for this parish. I'll check further later on...

The free index on RootsIreland pay-website shows just one Bulfin baptism between 1831-1841 in the records they have for Co. Offaly - but it's seems to be a child named Mary. Haven't worked out the parish/denomination or the father's name - but it doesn't match for William...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 12 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps for all your help! 

I'm off to bed, Saturday Sports tomorrow.

Many thanks,

KG

:)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 July 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

There is still a family of Bulfin's in the area on the 1901 census

bulfin 1901 census

Here are some details on their children which may come in useful at a later date

thomas bulfin children

This is the marriage of Thomas and Lizzie in case you want to order it from our GRO

Thomas Bulfin
District: Parsonstown
Volume: 3 Page: 588

I suppose there is a possibility that your James and this Thomas were brothers - fingers crossed

Thomas named his first son William, which due to naming traditions in Ireland at the time could suggest that his father was called William too.

Tara