Author Topic: TURNER, John (Browning)  (Read 19031 times)

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TURNER, John (Browning)
« on: Sunday 29 July 12 05:27 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about John Browning TURNER, born about 1815 around Chichester, Sussex.

He married Jane ATKINS from North Mundham, West Sussex. They married 1838, Adelaide, South Australia. He died August 1855, South Australia.

I am trying to find out more about him and where he really originated from. Jane ATKINS  has been quite easy to trace but John has been harder. I am not sure where the name Browning comes from but it is a part of his first name as far as I can tell.

Rebecca :)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER, John (Browning)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:01 BST (UK) »
Turner is a popular Sussex name but there appears to be only one John TURNER Baptised in Chichester in 1815 (17-Dec).  Do any of the other details of his parents or profession dovetail with your other research?   Parents John & Mary, Occupation Chair Maker.   

A submitter to the Geni Website gives him a slightly different birth year to 1815 saying he was born in Chichester 1818 and died August 18, 1855 (37) Adelaide, South Australia.  Husband of Jane, father of Mary Hards.

Another website also gives the 1818 birth year adding that they think he was born in Fishbourne near Chichester, and that there were other children of his marriage with Jane Atkins

Roy G

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:46 BST (UK) »
Turner is a popular Sussex name but there appears to be only one John TURNER Baptised in Chichester in 1815 (17-Dec).  Do any of the other details of his parents or profession dovetail with your other research?   Parents John & Mary, Occupation Chair Maker.   

A submitter to the Geni Website gives him a slightly different birth year to 1815 saying he was born Chichester 1818 and died August 18, 1855 (37) Adelaide, South Australia.  Husband of Jane Turner, Father of Mary Hards.

Roy G

Thanks :) That could be him. I don't really have much information about him other than his marriage to Jane Atkins. These are the children that they had born in South Australia - Mary Jane 1841, Elizabeth 1843, William Henry 1845, Kendrick Alfred 1848, Ellen 1850, Henry Augustus 1853, Amy 1855. I just checked his death cert and it states that he was born 1820 - so your birth record is a close match :)

You are right, there are lots of Turner's in Sussex, there is another John Turner born 1816 in Warnham to Henry and Charlotte Turner. I know he came from Sussex and from family I have heard it was around Chichester and Fishbourne. I don't know where to go from here. It get's confusing when people emigrate because you can't track them through the census

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:54 BST (UK) »
Have you found him on a passenger list to Oz, either going willingly or as a conscript?  Him marrying someone from Mundham close to where he came from suggests they may have travelled out together.  So you may find them on the same ship out, but him with a name that has been transcribed and then indexed incorrectly.  He may even be recorded as a Browning!  Roy G

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
The use of Browning and later of Kendrick suggests these may be names of ancestors.   Worth looking for marriages with those names?  I take it his death cert does not give his parents' names?
Andrea

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
Have you found him on a passenger list to Oz, either going willingly or as a conscript?  Him marrying someone from Mundham close to where he came from suggests they may have travelled out together.  So you may find them on the same ship out, but him with a name that has been transcribed and then indexed incorrectly.  He may even be recorded as a Browning!  Roy G

No, I haven't been able to find either of them - I think it's likely that they probably did arrive together or around the same time.

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:15 BST (UK) »
The use of Browning and later of Kendrick suggests these may be names of ancestors.   Worth looking for marriages with those names?  I take it his death cert does not give his parents' names?
Andrea

They have always struck me as quite unusual names. From what I have heard the Turner's lived near and perhaps worked on a farm owned by the Browning Family and it somehow got linked in with their names. I haven't been able to prove that though. I have no idea about the name Kendrick but like you say it could have been a family name. No, his death cert doesn't give parents names which is a shame.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
It might be worth looking at census records to see if there is still a Browning family in that area later.  Might pin down the location a bit better.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
I have now found your John Turner on a passenger list to Oz with Jane Atkins, a 17 year old bonnet maker, on the same ship. 
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1838Eden.htm

They were on The Eden out of Portsmouth arriving SA 24th June 1838.  Consecutive passenger numbers suggest John, a brick-maker, was with 2 of his brothers, Henry James Browning aged 21 (born c1817) & William aged 17 (born c1821).  John's age on that passenger list is 20, giving him a birth year of c1818.  The only member of the family with the middle name Browning listed against his name however, was John's elder brother Henry who was a Farmer.   

John and William were married in a double wedding (Adelaide 20th Aug 1838) both having elder brother Henry as their witness. 
William's new wife was 21 year old Amelia Goble who was also on The Eden in 1838 with her younger brother Charles.

It may help narrow the search down for parents if all 3 brothers can be found being baptised in the same West Sussex Parish.  Alternatively, assuming both Henry and William outlived their brother John, you may find one of them has put the names of their mutual parents on other Australian documents.  Look up Henry James Browning Turner who died 14 Feb 1893 in Mallala, South Australia for example.  An unexpected bonus is that Henry and his family are well recorded and there is a photo of his gravestone on the Internet.
http://www.australiancemeteries.com/sa/mallala/mallala_hsimages/turner_henry_elizabeth.jpg

Roy G