Author Topic: TURNER, John (Browning)  (Read 19030 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER, John (Browning)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi both and welcome,
You can use our personal message system to exchange email addresses.   Click on the green letter icon under the user name.   That will be private.   Best not to put addresses online.   It should work with two posts but you may need a third if the icon has not appeared.  That is to discourage spammers.

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 13:30 BST (UK) »
Why thank you!  I feel a bit silly :-[

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
If in doubt read the instructions!    I never do and it always causes problems and having said that I can't find the link to show you where they are.   Don't feel silly.  We were all new once.  If you click on the Help button at the top you may find it useful but otherwise just ask, as there are lots of people willing to help sort out any problems.  Enjoy your time with Rootschat.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 July 15 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This is my first time posting on here. I'm hoping I will get a reply since the original posts were so long ago!  I'm a descendant of Henry James Browning Turner (he is my GGG Grandfather) and like some other people have been stumped trying to find where the Turners originated from (Sussex as listed on the shipping records was never the birth place!)  What a revelation this was for me after years of research.  I have been unable to confirm birth dates for Elizabeth Wilkins and Edward Turner since reading this thread, so would be glad of any other information about the families in Nether Wallop Hampshire and Tisbury Wiltshire.
Many Thanks Mel

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 July 15 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome,
The previous posters should get a notification of your reply, provided they have not changed email address.   As I suggested to them, you can try sending them a personal message by clicking the letter icon under the user name.

Offline jennamar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear! I am new to RootsChat and have just come across this post (or series of posts!) The above mentioned Charles Turner, in the family group of Edward Turner, is my ggg grandfather. No wonder I've had trouble finding his origins if he's not even connected to this family. I had twigged that Noah was a ring-in by the parents listed on his death certificate. But what about my Charles? Parents unknown on his death certificate and a place of birth that looks like "Chiddester".  His marriage certificate in 1845 is witnessed by a William Turner and Mary Ann Gandy but maybe they weren't related, just acquaintances from the voyage? Who knows? The plot thickens. I'll soldier on and make no assumptions about family relationships.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 November 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome.
Place of birth may well be Chichester so that ties in.    Now the county town of West Sussex.

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 November 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Jennamar, I am a descendant of Henry aka Henry James Browning Turner.  The Turners arrived in two waves.  Brothers John Browning, Henry and William all arrived on the Eden in 1838 and promptly all married girls they had met on the voyage.  They were all witnesses at each others weddings.  In March 1839, widower Edward, Charles' father arrived with his children Edward, Mary Ann, Jane and Charles on the 'Buckingham'.  It's pretty safe to assume that both sets of Turners were from the same family.  Mary Ann m William Gandy - the signatory of Charles' marriage.  When Jane was m in 1839, John Turner and Amelia Goble (wife of William) were the witnesses.  When Henry remarried as a widower in 1845, witnesses were Charles and Jane Atkins (John's wife) etc, etc.  What's confusing is the Chichester and Hampshire origins.  They certainly sailed from Portsmouth nr Chichester, and were living there at the time.  Mary Ann's DC says she was b in Lower Wallop Hampshire, other family members have birth locations as variations on Chichester.  Given that Charles' son Isaac did not know his  grandparents names indicates that family history was not strong in the family.  Sister Mary Ann's third husband, Robert McBride stated her parents were Edward and Elizabeth and this matches baptism records in Hampshire.  It's all a bit confusing 8).  I'd like to acknowledge they I could not answered this authoritatively with the help of MelJade who has also done an enormous amount of work around this family.  Feel free to email me if you wish to know more or have access to my Ancestry family tree which is private as it's a work in progress. ::)  Hope this helps,

Candy

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 November 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennamar,

I am descendent from Henry James Browning Turner, though his youngest child Rosetta.  This family has been a bit tricky to track, and there are still some unanswered questions - unfortunately I have not had a lot of time to do further research lately.

Catpow and I made some breakthrough's together a couple years ago, so without her help I wouldn't have the information I have either!  As you may be aware, despite arriving in SA, some branches of the Turner family went to Victoria and even Broken Hill, but trying to prove they were all the same family was not straight forward.

If you have any questions I'm happy to share information.

Mel