Author Topic: TURNER, John (Browning)  (Read 19029 times)

Offline jennamar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TURNER, John (Browning)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 November 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much, Catpow and meljade for the replies and offers of assistance. I'm feeling quite heartened again, after the disappointment that Charles may not have been a part of this family at all. Its always nice to feel we belong somewhere. I might gather together what I already know about Charles and then bounce some questions off you two, if that's okay. Thanks again for answering me and offering to help. Much appreciated. And here I was, thinking nothing would come from joining this site!  Cheers, Jeanette

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 November 17 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Jeanette, I'm sure it would be of interest, particularly if you know anything about Charles' early life.  Incidentally, I'm also probably related to you in a couple of other ways :).  Henry James Browning Turner (a name on his gravestone, although he never used anything but plain Henry all his life, including his will), is my GGgrandfather through his eldest son Richard on my father's side.  But on my mother's side I am descended from Polkinghornes from Cornwall like Charles' wife.  Also, Henry's second wife Elizabeth Edwards, my (and MelJade's ancestor) was also from the same area of Cornwall, and her mother was an Ann Hicks, also from the Redruth area of Cornwall as was Charles' wife's mother Mary Hicks.  All a bit coincidental :D.

Offline jennamar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Catpow, this is getting exciting, at least for me.  :D I was seriously thinking of giving up on the Turner line but now my interest is piqued. And how crazy that we may have another connection. The world just got smaller, rather than larger. Poor Mary Polkinghorne (nee Hicks) didn't last long in Adelaide. So sad for a family that travelled so far for a new life. And she happened to pass before official records were kept for West Terrace Cemetery but she wasn't quite one of the first in to Adelaide and may have had her passing noted. But I'm sure she's proud of everyone's endeavours to track her.
I live in Gippsland, Victoria. But to the West, rather than the East at Bruthen, where Charles ended up. By chance, a fellow member of my local Genealogical group was asking question of a speaker a few months ago and I was amazed that he was asking questions about my Francis Polkinghorne (father of Elizabeth, who became Turner). Small world again. This chappy does his research without the internet. (Yeah, I don't know how.) He's a generation ahead of me and has more 'family knowledge'. I'm sure he'll be thrilled I've mad a contact when I tell him Thursday night. Thanks again for answering me, Candy. You've made my day. Cheers, Jeanette

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Jeanette,  I'll look for more concrete proof i.e. the exact link point for the Polkinghornes and Hicks.  I've never done a DNA test (and I don't really know how they work) but I think it would go into meltdown if you and I did a match 8).

Do you have a family tree on Ancestry?

Candy 

Offline jennamar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha, Candy, no Ancestry tree unfortunately. I started looking at family history about 25 years ago but life got too busy and I didn't get very far. Just started again a year ago and learning heaps with all this stuff on the internet. I just downloaded the Legacy program a few weeks ago so have been madly adding my people. (Actually, oops, are you allowed to say that on here?) But I've been pretty much a bdm and a few letters from oldies kind of family historian. Trove helps to fill in the gaps.... too much sometimes. I will get a tree together and rope in one of my kids to help me send it to you. Yes, I'm that bad.
I was just ploughing through the Cornwall OPC database to find more Hicks. Don't ask me what opc stands for but I was having fun. Cheers, Jeanette

Offline GlennPatrickM1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all on this thread.  I know this thread is old, but I hope someone will respond back.  Facts:  Richard Turner and Jane Staker of Yapton-Ford, Sussex were married at Ford Sussex 11 May 1784.  They had three children:
Mary Turner baptized 05 May 1785 at Yapton, Sx
Edward Turner baptized 11 September 1786 at Washington, Sx
Zaccheus Turner baptized 18 May 1789 at Washington, Sx

Jane Staker was baptized 05 Mar 1748 at Yapton, Sussex, the 5th of 9 children born to Zaccheus Staker and Mary Browning; and, a granddaughter of John Staker & Jane Bridger of Yapton, Sx, and Henry Browning and Ann Silverlock of Bosham, Sx

Mary Turner married to Edward Michell of Rudgwick, son of Edward Michell and Elizabeth Burgess, and they had 12 children.  I descend from their eldest, Edward Michell who married to Mary Hampton.  Years of careful research spanning four generations of my family members has amounted to a collection of data to include the entire clan up to date, with exception of some events since about the year 2000.  Our clan is huge.  Edward and Mary lived at Kithurst Farm in Storrington circa 1807-1817 and then in the village of Steyning for the remainder of their lives.

Zaccheus Turner married his first cousin, Ann Staker, dau of Benjamin Staker and Sarah Holman.  They had 8 children of which only two married and had families.  This clan is easy to track through the censuses and BMD's, etc.  Zaccheus and Ann lived at Frobury Farm in Kingsclere, Hampshire circa 1812-1820, then at Rowlands Castle, Charlton, Hampshire, circa 1823, then at Storrington, Sx, circa 1824-1829, and then at Chichester for a short period of time in the 1830's and back at Yapton by the 1841 census.

Edward Turner has been a mystery to me, however the information gathered by descendants of Edward Turner & Elizabeth Wilkins, most who emigrated from England to Australia in 1838-39 suggest Edward was a son of Richard and Jane.

Some summaries suggest he was son of Richard Turner and Jane Robinson.  That is not true, as there is no doubt that their son Edward Turner, born in the 1790's stayed in Sussex, England and was a C of E minister.  Both PCC wills of this Richard Turner and Jane Turner, and various baptism records identify this family.  If, they are related to the Edward Turner who moved to Australia, it would be at least as second cousins.

I have been focusing research on Chichester, including Somerstown, Fishburne, Newtown, etc. to try and figure out the Turner clan.

Also in Yapton, property lease deeds name Richard Turner and James Turner together a number of times.  I have been tracking the James Turner family, all who I have accounted for except for two sons, James Turner Jr. born circa 1797 and John Turner Jr. born circa 1808 whom I cannot find, except they were named on Yapton rectory Lease deeds until about 1840.  If they are in the 1841 Census, I cannot identify them.  There do not appear to be in 1851.  Either they died or left England.  My goal has been to connect them somehow to your group in Australia, but nothing stands out, except for a "James Turner Jr." who went to South Australia about same time as your group.

Richard Turner of Yapton, and later Chanctonbury, Washington, Sussex, and lastly of Chichester, Sx, was buried 04 July 1825 at Yapton, age noted as 76, suggesting a birth year of 1747/48/49.  I have not conclusively identified who this Richard Turner was the son of.  There is one baptized in Chichester in 1748, son of John and Ann Turner.

If anyone is interested, I have put together a Turner WORD file I am happy to share.

From all of the information currently circulated about your Turner family in South Australia, did son Edward Jr. marry Ellen Sweeny?  and Daughter Jane--what happened to her.  I have feeling there is confusion about death of Jane Barnard who married Henry James Browning Turner and we know died in 1839 being noted as the death of Jane Turner dau of Edward.  I wonder if the burial record where is says informant Edward Turner (F) would mean father-in-law?  Both Janes were about the same age.  What happened to Jane Turner, dau of Edward?

Thank-you, Glenn in Canada.

Offline meljade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 April 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenn,

It has been many years since I have been looking at the Turner's and recently decided to pick it up again (fingers crossed you see this!)  There seems to be a fair bit on Ancestry, but following up on some of these names, I couldn't find hard evidence (marriages fail to mention parents names etc) to prove exact connections.  There also seems to be theories of a connection between Elizabeth Wilkin's family and the Wilkin's in Tisbury Wiltshire - I'm not so sure with some of the research I have done.  Checking up on this post again was a pleasant surprise.  Since this post you may have been in contact with catpow (I have not had any correspondence her for many years), but in answer to your questions...
1) Edward jr did marry Ellen Sweeny  on 6 Jan 1840 at the Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide, South Australia.  They had x2 daughters - Ellen born about 1840 and Emma born about 1844.  There does not seem to be any birth records for these two children.  Emma went on to marry James Ashby, then James Foulds and died in 1874.  Ellen married Malcolm Spence, William Hill and her 3rd marriage was to Joseph Flower and died on 1926.  Emma and Ellen did have children.
2) Jane Turner (Edward and Elizabeth's daughter) went on to marry John Essenhigh on the 15/05/1845 at Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide. They went on to have 5 children.  At some point she moved to Melton Victoria with her family and died in 1876.
I would like to exchange more information if possible, the Turners have proved difficult to track!
Regards Mel

Offline Catpow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 April 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel (and Glenn),

Yes, I have been quiet and Mel, it's nice to see you're still around.  I agree the Wilkins of Tisbury seems to be wrong, but I don't know what's right ???.  But Glenn's information that Edward was a son of Richard and Jane makes some sense, given my G/Grandfather Richard Turner born 1845 was Henry James Browning's eldest (living) son.  I too would like any info that Glenn might be able to provide on the Turners.

Cheers,
Candy (catpow)

Offline GlennPatrickM1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 April 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
I hope this reply gets to you--was having problems getting this to reply--Here is what I typed in the enclosed attachment in my notes regarding Turners of Yapton.  I can be emailed (*)    It has been a few years.  I never quite finished typing everything for a few of the later families, but this should give you lots to look through.

The Michell family is a whole study of its own (my clan) so is not included in these notes except to name Mary Turner's husband and twelve children.  Any MITCHELL spellings is as it appears in indexes and/or original images.  Our surname is MICHELL dating back to at least the 15th century.

You will see my notes regarding the Wilkins.  I presumed your connection to Tisbury as noted in the first paragraph in that section of he notes (about page 4 of the document.)

I found this note in an archive website--not sure where at this point:

Recorded in The Solicitor’s Journal & Reporter February 13, 1858, page 315—Wilkins, Betsy, afterwards Betsy Turner, wife of Edward Turner, who resided in Middle Wallop, Hants, in or about the year 1828.  Next of kin communicate with Mr. Footser, Solicitor, Andover.

Glenn P. Michell

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php