Author Topic: Hope family – papermakers?  (Read 6521 times)

Offline AshbrookCheshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hope family – papermakers?
« on: Sunday 29 July 12 14:14 BST (UK) »
I’m looking for the ancestry of Thomas HOPE and Audrey. Thomas moved to the Cheshire/Staffordshire boarder and was a papermaker, operating mills in Wincle. However, from his children’s’ birthplaces and baptisms I know he spend at least some of his life in Flintshire and possibly was from the area.

The children of Thomas and Audrey I’ve found baptised in Flintshire are:
Mary, 17 Apr 1786 at Worthenbury
Anne, 9 Feb 1788 at Hanmer
Thomas, 11 Apr 1790 at Hanmer
There next child, Audrey, was baptised at Rushton Spencer, Staffordshire on the 22 Jan 1797, so the family must have moved sometime between 1790 and 1797. Presumably there are other children in between which I haven’t found.

I know that Halghton in the parish of Hamner has a paper mill at the time the Hope family would have been there ( http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/onlinelists/GB0208%20D-DM-230.pdf ) and that the paper mill in Sarn, Worthenbury, was run by a Simon Hope (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/Paper.html ). I suspect it’s too much of a coincidence for this Simon Hope master papermaker not to be related to my Thomas Hope master papermaker!

Hoping that someone might be able to get me a little further back or at least get me some more information about the family.

Thanks in advance,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hope family – papermakers?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 12 14:38 BST (UK) »
There's this marriage allegation/licence bond showing in the Cheshire marriages 

3 Feb 1786- Thomas Hope, aged 23, and Audrey Newnes, aged 18  - both of Worthenbury.

It might be worth following this up. I've got some of the Worthenbury records so will check them out and report back if I find anything.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 14:50 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that the allegation has something like:

John* Newnes of Thre(.....maybe Threapwood?)... adjoining the Parish.... being sworn on the .......oath that Thomas N.....(Newnes?)....in he County of Flint....and lawful father of.....is consenting to the......Audrey Newnes to the......

The page is only partial.

This would tie in with the following baptism in Worthenbury:

Audrey the daughter of Thomas Newns and Mary his wife was baptised 18 Sept 1768

*John could have been Audrey's brother as Thomas and Mary had a son, John, baptised in Worthenbury, 1763.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
Nothing on Thomas Hope so far but there's a possible marriage in Malpas:

1 Jan 1759 Thomas Newnes of the parish of Worthenbury and Mary Harris of Malpas

See

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ89-7M1

and

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F71X-KX1

Offline AshbrookCheshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 12 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks brevitas, those defiantly look possible! Very frustrating that we can't see more than the first half of that page.

I've found a further link between Simon of Worthenbury and 'my' Hope family. Simon Hope's will (1813) mentions a debt owed by Peter Hope of Danebridge. Danebridge is within half a mile of Wincle, and Thomas had a son called Peter.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 12 16:16 BST (UK) »
The British Book Trades Index

http://www.bbti.bham.ac.uk/search.htm

says Thomas was possibly son of John and related to Simon and Peter.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AshbrookCheshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks bearkat, but it looks like the two Thomas Hope's are mixed up there.

Thomas Hope (Worthenbury) is probably Thomas Hope Snr., husband of Audrey, whereas Thomas Hope (Leek) is a combination of Thomas Hope Snr and his son (also Thomas Hope) who was born Hanmer, and was at Winkhill, Staffordshire from at least 1841 to his death in 1869. Peter Hope is another son of Thomas Hope Snr, born in Leek, at Folly Grove Mill in 1841 and living with his brother, Thomas Hope Jnr, in 1851.

(In that 1851 return there are 3 Thomas Hopes! Thomas Hope Jnr, his son Thomas Hope, and Peter's son Thomas Hope...can you see how this could get confusing?)

Offline AshbrookCheshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Just looked at the John Hope which is suggested as father of Thomas and Simon. There is a marriage 31 Dec 1770 for a John Hope of Wincle at Prestbury Church. Just to add to the confusion!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 12 17:44 BST (UK) »
As Thomas was aged 23 at his marriage in 1786, he would have been born circa 1763, so the 1770 marriage is possible but unlikely.