Author Topic: HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S.  (Read 18613 times)

Offline muffnrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S.
« on: Tuesday 31 July 12 08:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about the marriage in 1805 of HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S., a distinguished hydrographer, was born at Elie, Fifeshire, September 23, 1762. or about his Ancestors and Decendents.
Can you help me?
Kind regards
Muffnrob

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
There is quite a big entry for him in the Dictionary of National Biography. I suspect I'm not allowed to quote this in full (copyright) but it's accessible at public libraries. It states

As with many from East India Company service overseas, Horsburgh became an old man with young children. At forty-three he married Elizabeth Longworth (d. 1829) on 14 October 1805, and they settled first at 6 Savile Row, Walworth. Their first daughter, Jane Frances, was born on 29 August 1808; a second daughter, Elizabeth, followed in 1815 and a son, James, in 1821 when Horsburgh himself was fifty-nine.

It also refers among its sources to these, all of which might be worth investigating:

‘Biographical memoir of James Horsburgh, esq., hydrographer to the East India Company’, Naval Chronicle, 28 (1812), 441–51 · GM, 2nd ser., 6 (1836), 98–9 · Journal of the Royal Geographical Society, 7 (1837), vi · A. Day, The admiralty hydrographic service, 1795–1919 (1967) · H. R. Mill, The record of the Royal Geographical Society, 1830–1930 (1930) ·
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline muffnrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 12 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Graham for your help it is very much appreciated.
Kind regards
Rob Hay-Hendry

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
James Horsburgh's eldest daughter Jane Frances married her first cousin James Horsburgh McDonald 13/01/1835 at St Giles, Camberwell. He was in the Bengal Artillery and ended as a Lieut Colonel.  They were childless but may have had custody of sister Elizabeth's 7 children after her death 14/06/1855 "at the home of her brother in law Lieut Col McDonald". I don't know what happened to her husband James Lane who was a solicitor but the Lane children seem to have had strong connections with India and the army. One of her descendents was William Horsburgh Lane, Lieut Col in Indian Army then after retirement archaeologist, author and Loch Ness monster hunter (honestly).
James Horsburgh junior was a clergyman and had 5 children, his descendents were clergymen, teachers , authors and one was a missionary to China.
This family is quite interesting to research it makes a change from ag labs and fishermen.
I hope this is of use to you.
Ellen

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 12 20:30 BST (UK) »
There is a marble tablet on the wall inside Elie parish church in memory of James Horsburgh, containing a summary of his life and achievements, and with a carved ship in relief.

Ellen, your comment about ag. labs. and fishermen comes into the category of "spoke too soon", for I'm about to lower the tone by suggesting that James Horsburgh FRS was related to the well-known (in Fife) fishing Horsburghs of Pittenweem from whom I claim descent myself.

Here are some fragments from my research into the Horsburghs over the years. I'd be glad of any comments and/or corrections from fellow researchers.

I believe all these Horsburghs can be traced back to William Horsburgh, shoemaker, and his wife Mary Bickerton who had at least 9 children in Elie, to my knowledge, between 1695 and 1720. The line of descent that I know most about is from their youngest son George Horsburgh, also a shoemaker, born in 1720, who settled in St. Monans after marrying Elspeth Stevenson there.

Their son George Horsburgh married Janet Thomson in Pittenweem and became a fisherman there. They were the ancestors of the Horsburghs who are still in Pittenweem and towns round about to this day. My paternal grandmother Jessie Horsburgh Cunningham in Cellardyke was called after her Pittenweem granny Jessie Horsburgh, a granddaughter of George Horsburgh and Janet Thomson.

Back to James Horsburgh FRS. He was the son of William Horsburgh and Jean Given. I suspect - but can't prove - that William Horsburgh was a son of James Horsburgh born in Elie in 1704 to William Horsburgh and Mary Bickerton. Any advance on that?

A retired master mariner friend of mine told me once that there is a Horsburgh Rock near the entrance to Singapore harbour, called after the great hydrographer.

Harry

Offline muffnrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
Horsburgh Lighthouse Foundation Stone in Horsburgh Lighthouse on Pedra Branca island, was laid in the presence of Governor William J. Butterworth and several distinguished guests, and took place at 1:00 pm, on 24 May 1850.

Description
 Inscribed on copper plate, the Foundation Stone reads:

In the year of Our Lord 1850 and in the 13th year of the reign of Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland:
 The Most Noble James Andrew, Marquis of Dalhousie, Kt., being Governor-General of British India:
 The Foundation Stone of the Light-house to be erected on Pedra Branca,
 and dedicated to the Memory of the Celebrated Hyrdographer JAMES HORSBURGH, F.R.S. was laid on the 24th day of May,
 the anniversary of the Birth-day of Her Most Gracious Majesty,
 by the Worshipful Master M. F. Davidson, Esq.,
 and the Brethren of the Lodge Zetland in the East, no. 748,
 In the presence of the Governor of the Straits Settlements,
 and many of the British and Foreign Residents of Singapore.

Offline sidsmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Still Searching
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
I have HORSBURGH in my tree as well
William b 29 Mar 1884 Pittenweem parents Lochart and Catherine Turpie BOWMAN married my Catherine SMITH born 3 May 1885 Cellardyke. They married 9 Jan 1914 Cellardyke
SMITH.. Cellardyke, Fife, Scotland
GERRARD ..Pittenweem, St Monance, Fife
DEWAR..Kikcaldy.. Fife
CRICHTON...Fife
GRUBB .. Crail, Fife
HAMILTON .. St Andrews and St Leonards, Fife
BALFOUR, Ferry Port on Craig, Fife
WATT ..  Cellardyke
PROUDFOOT & CRAWFORD.. Torryburn Fife
EISEN   PHILLIPS, WISEMAN ..Sth Australia
CRICHTON Victoria,Aust.
WISEMAN..Barrow, Suffolk
VANT.. Yorkshire & Kent

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 12 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Yes I am descended from th Pittenweem Horsburgh's. My grandfather Andrew Horsburgh was a son of Robert Horsburgh and Mary Flett. Robert was a grandson of the first Lock Horsburgh. There are many many fishermen, seamen and fish traders on this line.
Horsburgh lighthouse was built by subscription from the merchants of the Anglo Chinese trade in gratitude for Horsburgh's accurate charts making voyages safer (and hence more profitable). I can't help but wonder if any of the money for the lighthouse came from the opium trade?

Ellen

Offline muffnrob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen
Your Granfather Andrew was the brother of my Grandfather James Flett so I think that makes us 3rd cousins.
Thanks for your help maybe we can collaborate some more.
Kind regards
Rob Hay-Hendry