Author Topic: Ross family: Cockenzie  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ross family: Cockenzie
« on: Tuesday 31 July 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
I'm seeking any info at all on my great uncles and aunts and their descendants from Cockenzie.

1. John Marshall Ross b   married Margaret Price Ritchie( b 1889) on 24 Dec 1909. Had at least two issue....Hannah Greig Ritchie Ross and John Marshall Ross.

2. Mary Coull Ross b 21 September 1888 Sinclair Land Cockenzie. Married
a David Neilson 17 June 1909 in Prestonpans, No known issue.

3. David Ross b 11 November 1890 Thomsons land, Cockenzie. No other detail.

4. Helen Ross b 17 May 1893 West Lorimer Place cockenzie married William Donaldson b 1892 Cockenzie on 30 April 1915.

All of the above were siblings of William Ross b 7 Set 1886 who's line is now fully documented by me.

Any assistance with the above would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to make contact with my cousins once r twice removed and send them details of their tree which I know has never been undertaken previously to any great degree.

PS Can ayy one able to shed light on details of Ross land in Cockenzie where several of my direct descendants were born? Is ther an old map of any kind that details the various land holdings, Thomson, Sinclair and Ross?

Scotskiwi
Auckland
New Zealand

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ross family: Cockenzie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I'm sure you will know about Scotland's People but in case you don't it is a pay as you view site
and easy to manoeuvre and as you have all these dates and info. the certs will be able to access.I don't find it expensive to use especially when you know exactly what you are looking for.
You will also be able to access the 1911 census for Scotland and this will help find anyone born before this date .
I sometimes visit the area and if there is anything that I can do to help you please just say.

Good Luck.

suzilad

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have extensive experience with Scotlands people (think I have spent over $1200 in the past year doing lookups and OPR searches etc) and have records pertaining to all the above re births and marriages of them but little info re their issue and subsequent descendants. I also wanted to see if forum members had these persons in their trees or families. I have no issue with procuring certificates etc from Scotlands people but for anyone living I need to be able to know their parentage....I also wanted to get some leads for my formal research.

The 1911 census doesn't add a lot of value because only two of these persons were  married for less than two years at that time so accessing family details is limited.

With over 50,000 persons in my tree now I'm kinda used to research methods but nothing beats hitting the board occassionally to talk to real people who might just have more info than just a certificate or a date.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy Hunting.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Portonian,

I have a few Ross's in my family tree, and as you know Cockenzie and Port Seton is full of Ross's, Buchanan's, Johnston(e)'s, Thomson's, Harkess's Donaldson's and Sinclairs.

I have a Christina Ross born 1882 (one of your Port Seton cousin's names) who married an Andrew Buchanan born 1880, he was my great uncle.

My grandfather, Thomas Buchanan born 1895, was born at Ross's Land, but not sure what or where it was. I thought it was a house down by High Street, owned by a Ross and rented out. My grandmother, was Margaret Grandison Ritchie, and that was another common name as well.

Will do some further research re Ross's Land etc.

Tom Buchanan
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Portonian,

I have a William Donaldson b 1893 to parents Thomas Donaldson and Elizabeth Horn. Could this be the one in your tree who married Helen Ross.

Tom

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 12 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Portonian,

Re your query, " Can anyone shed light on details of Ross land in Cockenzie where several of my direct descendants were born? Is there an old map of any kind that details the various land holdings, Thomson, Sinclair and Ross? "

I contacted Port Seton Library, who sent me through to colleagues in East Lothian Council, but they were unable to furnish me with any details.

I have now asked the Local History Society for help, they meet 2nd Tuesday of the month September to April, maybe one of them will be able to help.

Tom

Offline Lisa La Loba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hannah Greig who married John Ritchie is my 2nd great grandmother.  Is this the same Hannah that you are looking for?