Author Topic: Look-up for Helen Mackie  (Read 12113 times)

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up for Helen Mackie
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Monica - that is my beautiful Grandmother when she graduated from Nursing School in Ontario Canada!
I put that on ancestry myself. I have quite a bit on Walter  but it is at Helen MacKie that I hit a wall.

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical - Guess I should explain the picture - thats my great grandad in Selkirk at the common riding festival - got the picture from my moms sister!
hansa67

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
I love photos  ;D Thought that might be Elisabeth's father Robert  ;)

Re Helen McKay, I have looked many ways but struggle to find any leads for her  :-\ I think likely both John Ingles and Helen McKay may have died pre 1841 - can't really see them in the census for that year.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
MonicaL - Walter also does not appear anywhere on the 1841 census that I can find  so it is quite possible that they all passed before 1841. I was hoping that i might have missed a clue somewhere along the way!

I love pictures too!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
From the OPR for the marriage of Helen McKay and John Inglis, the entry does seem to infer that Helen may have been from the parish of Cockpen. Finding relevant Mckay entries there for the relevant period is hard though:

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 August 12 00:12 BST (UK) »
Monical - I will give Cockpen a try for records  but I haven`t found anything there on the I.G.I. yet but have not given up. When you least expect it - something comes along! had no problem finding the Inglis records other than the name spelling changing from Ingles to Inglis and back again.
Once again - thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it.
hansa67

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 August 12 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical  - found a record on the I.G.I. for a baby girl Mackie born Nov. 25, 1765 in North Leith,Midlothian  and christened the same day,  - parents Alexander Mackie and Margaret Doig.  Is there any way to find out if this Baby girl ever had a name.  Seems odd if there was a christening that she didn`t have a name?
hansa

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 12 14:17 BST (UK) »
Re the unnamed baby, you do find these types of entries very occasionally. It is sometimes thought that this type of entry (specially as you noted the birth and christening on the same day) may be that the baby was not expected to live long and went unnamed...

I did wonder about possible parents' names for Helen. Does the family have any more names in birth order for Helen and John Ingles? So far, I have only seen:

Walter 1786
Katherine 1790
John 1792
William 1793

Wondered whether they had followed any form of naming pattern for their children (example here www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm). Not always followed to the letter (sometimes not at all) but remarkable how often it was followed in a manner that can sometimes give clues on paternal/maternal grandparents' names.

See from everyone's research so far, that John Ingles' parents are thought to be Walter Ingles and Katherine Pillans who married in 1758 in Kirkurd, Peebleshire. Also, from what you have already, a likely birth for John in 1760 in the same place.

As you say, Helen is the problem. We haven't really moved on from there have we  :-\

Monica

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 August 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica - Just got a notice that my reply didn`t go thru so will try again.

I thought the same as you that the baby may not be well - on the oother hand - there have been christenings with names and the baby has passed shortly thereafter. This seems odd to have a christening with n name ?
Yes, the four children you named are the only children of Helen and John that I have found. Naming patterns are quite common in the family ( especially Walter and John) but every now and then there is an oddity. The four children you list are the only four that I have found. I put Alexander Mackie and Margaret Doig in my tree to see if anything would come up on ancestry that would give a clue but so far nothing of any help. One other tree with those two as parents doesn`t even mention the baby girl  born that year so they can`t be relied on.

Yes, this mystry girl Helen is my nexus!