Author Topic: James Hutchison  (Read 23553 times)

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Hutchison
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 October 12 15:27 BST (UK) »
PS I did not know of a child of Mary's to be named Charles, where did he turn up as on the census in 1901 there was 5 children and an aunt  living with them in Phead at Seagate, no mention of a child by the name of Charles.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 October 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have downloaded Charles Stewart's birth 1903 extract and I am not sure if it is the same Mary Ann because of the different types of crosses in the signature.  Her oldest son James and the youngest David birth certificates had her signature that looked like a crucifix cross, and the Mary ann of Charles looks like a times cross such as 2x6=  Why do you Robhutch think that Charles Stewart belonged to Mary-ann Stewart.  I'm all ears.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:03 BST (UK) »
You've never mentioned whether or not you've viewed any marriage certificates of Mary's 6 children.It would be interesting to see what was entered in the father's column! Have you seen David's first marriage certificate? Although the father's name was not on the birth certificate often it appears on later certificates.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:25 BST (UK) »
David was married firstly to a Mary Grieg foremen from Phead and he was married under the name of Stewart in 1919 and he got married again in 1942 under the name of Hutchison to Harriet Stewart in aberdeen city.  Seeing as his father was not on his birth certificate-he would not have him on his marriage certificate, I downloaded his oldest brother james's birth certificate and he was definately registered as parent present.  It's all very murkey as when Young James was born in 1889, Mary ann Stewart and James Hutchison were in Arbroath,at 15 School Wynd, however, it said that she was domiciled in Fraserburgh.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Well,stranger things have happened. I have found several instances where an illegitimate child has named their father on marriage records. The only other thing I would check is if there's any poor relief records for James Hutchison.The application form contains a wealth of personal information.It's definately worth checking.Good luck,
flst.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline robhutch18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
When I first started this research I was aware of Charles through talking to older family members - the only sibling they were unaware of was James. My understanding is that Charles didn't change his name to Hutchison and was known as Charlie Stewart and lived in/near Inverness for most of his years - although he often visited the Aberdeen area. He was a talented musician like other family members and there are recordings of his music that I can locate.

I am certain he is Mary's son. The register of his birth states he was born in Seagate Place, Peterhead - that is the same building that the family resided in at the time of the 1901 census, so perhaps they lived there for a few years. It also notes Mary as being a domicile of Fraserburgh. Mary also signs her name with an X shape on the register of John's birth.

Offline robhutch18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 October 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
The registers of two of Lizzie's marriages note James as her father, but he was on her birth register that would be expected.

Robert's marriage certificate names James as his father despite not being mentioned on his birth certificate.

Offline hazelaberdeen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
I noticed that the family lived at Seagate while not out in the countryside in the summertime, and that would have been normal, but if you bear in mind that the father James died prior to David being born, then Charles would not have been a full sibling, and maybe another relation adopted him, but I am in touch with Lizzies off spring and they  seem to think that there was another girl who died, but maybe it was Charles and they adopted him out.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:11 BST (UK) »
Found Mary and children in 1911 for you both. The family was living at 36 Berry Street, St Nicholas Aberdeen. More children born after Charles...

Mary* STEWART or HUTCHESON, 43, mar.(ried), married 12 years, 4 children born/living. Occupation that of a pedlar. Born in Fraserburgh
David Hutcheson 10 b. Lonmay
Charles Hutcheson 8 b. Peterhead
Margaret Hutcheson 4 b. Aberdeen
Donald Hutcheson 2 b. Aberdeen

* Mary scored through and then Margaret written - writing not clear so not surprising about possible confusion.

Mary looks to have given confusing info on her census return which doesn't help  :-\ However, you have two new members of the family  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk