Author Topic: Alvington? Yorkshire/Lancashire  (Read 1562 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Alvington? Yorkshire/Lancashire
« on: Thursday 02 August 12 21:19 BST (UK) »

I have recently looked at several Heape family wills.

My Heape/Heap family come from Kirkburton, WRY.

First will dated 1614, appears to say 'I William Heape of [Alyington] in the Countie of Lancs'
Second will dated 1622, appears to say 'Abraham Heape the elder of Arvingdon in the county of Yorke'.

I think the family moved on to Heptonstall WRY, before moving to Kirkburton, though I am still investigating this at present.

Has anbody got any suggestions as to where Alyington/Arvingdon/? could be.

I will try to attach an image of the appropriate sections of the wills

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alvington? Yorkshire/Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi sugarfizzle.  The only place i can think of near Heptonstall is  Erringden .

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
The first one (William) looks to me like Clyuiger (= Cliviger) - the first letter is the same as in Clothier. It might be possible to read the second as Ayringden, which seems feasible as an earlier version of Erringden. However, it's not an area that I know very well, so I can't really comment on how likely this is.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it helps but the 1662 valuation of Blackburnshire has John, Edward & Lawrence Heape, all of Haslingden.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 12 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks all.

Cliviger for the first one - there is a burial of a William Heape of Clyviger at St Peter's, Burnley, 11 Apr 1614.  Don't know why I didn't see it as Clyviger/Cliviger before.

And as for the second one - I googled 'Ayringden' and it appears it was indeed an old name for Erringden.

Thank you all very much

Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ann Bennett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 April 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
The transcription of the place is Ayringden. (check out the 'r' of abraham -it is the same as the third letter of the place. The second letter of the place has a tail and is not a v. Ayringden was a common spelling even into the 18th century of Erringden.
An Abraham Heape is mentioned in 1651 in the Wakefield Court Roll Vol 8 p163 giving the report from Stansfield township (just across the valley from Erringden).
October 6  1651 Stansfield
Imprimis, Our butts, Stockes, Whipstocke are in good Repayre.
Item, we lay in payne that Abraham Heape of the said Towne shall before the Feast of the Nativitie next wall and sett his wall in the East side of a lane called Streate Lane in the accustomed place where it formerly stood, so as men may passe with chattels Wooll packs and loades as it hath bene accustomed, uppon  payne of nott soe doinge to Forfeit 20s.