Author Topic: John Mccluand/Mary Mcgregor  (Read 4093 times)

Offline djde

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mccluand/Mary Mcgregor
« on: Friday 03 August 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hoping someone may help me to trace John McCluand and Mary McGregor who are listed as parents on their son John McCluand's (My gggrandfather)death certificate Walcha NSW Australia 1898 age 55.John jnr is shown as being born Loch Abbarto More Scotland. The certificate states that he lived in NSW for 25yrs and prior to that 29yrs in Victoria Australia.This would have him arriving in Australia about 1844.I have been unable to find any record of John snr and Mary Mccluand arriving or living in Australia or any record of John jnr prior to his marriage to Catherine Carr in Walcha NSW in 1882.The spelling of the surname may have changed over time.Thanks Djde
Abbott-Birmingham UK
Burgess/Burges-Staffordshire, Birmingham UK
Cole-Birmingham,West Bromich  UK
Downie/Downey/-Ireland ,Tasmania, Geelong and Ballarat Vic Australia
Fenton Birmingham Uk
Fletcher-Oxfordshire Uk
Healy/Healey-Ireland,Tasmania, Geelong and Ballarat Vic Australia
Staniforth /Stanniforth- Sheffield Uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: John Mccluand/Mary Mcgregor
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 12 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi , Djde  :)

From what you have , John was 55 when he died and was 54 years in Australia
If that is so then he must have immigrated with his parents  :-\

McClelland and variations may be an alternative surname

ev

Added - Is there a reason for placing the post on the Morayshire board ?
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Is there a reason for placing the post on the Morayshire board ?

Almost certainly not - I suspect that Loch Abbarto More is probably a mangled version of "Lochaber, Tommore". Lochaber is in Inverness-shire and contains Fort William. I don't know offhand of a place in Lochaber called Tommore but it's quite likely - from Gaelic 'Tom' meaning a lowish hill and 'mor' meaning big.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
Found this -

http://roger.lisaandroger.com/getperson.php?personID=I626&tree=Roger#cite1

ev

Added - Can't see anything in Australian newspapers apart from a legal notice about Catherine McCluand's death in 1931 that mentions the 3 sons
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline djde

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 12 11:58 BST (UK) »
The only reason I posted on Moray Board was that I incorrectly thought More was the town but it is obviously Lochaber so thanks for correcting me Forfarian
Thanks EV for the link to Rogers Family Tree.
I will try Mclelland/McClelland etc for possible names.Bye for now Djde
Abbott-Birmingham UK
Burgess/Burges-Staffordshire, Birmingham UK
Cole-Birmingham,West Bromich  UK
Downie/Downey/-Ireland ,Tasmania, Geelong and Ballarat Vic Australia
Fenton Birmingham Uk
Fletcher-Oxfordshire Uk
Healy/Healey-Ireland,Tasmania, Geelong and Ballarat Vic Australia
Staniforth /Stanniforth- Sheffield Uk

Offline EvelynTaylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also a descendant of John and Mary. My Grandmother was Catherine Carr McCluand ( Married Harold Thomas Gardiner at Warrah. Of their 5 Daughters Jean, Edna, Sylvia, Grace and Catherine known as Noelene, I'm Noeleens Daughter. We have all been searching for the background beyond Scotland, with the thought that the name may have been misspelt. There has been a halt in the search as my Aunty Jean Died after a short diagnosis with gastric Ca, and Aunty Sylvia who was helping has Alzheimer's. Just recently the daughters of these 5 all got together to put photos of them in albums for all the 5 families, I have then gone and collected as many old photos and put them in as well. My sister Jennifer,her daughter Brooke, My daughter Amy, Mum, Dad and I go each year to Glen Innes,NSW ( where I was Born) for the Celtic festival and i search through archives that are there with all the clans. Trivial I know, Brooke 7yrs has danced there for 3 yrs, its natural.
I'd love to swap trees when I complete it and if you don't have photos?? I have also information of properties they were on. I just now have a little more time as I work as a Registered nurse on contract work while checking in on Mum and dad. Look forward to your reply: Evelyn

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Might be Tormore, Lochaber, which isn't a loch but a district. Tormore in Lochailort might be the place?

Skoosh.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian & Skoosh,

Great input indeed.

I'm trying to figure out too what/where the actual place name could be.

My input would be;

Tor (being a hill) & Mor (being big) so 'Big Hill' doesn't really give much clue does it  ::)

My only other suggestion, again not much help, the sounding of Tormore may have evolved over time from Tigh Mor (big house) in a different accent  :-\

Difficult one for sure  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Tormore in Lochailort might be a possibility.

Snag is that there are no records at all on SP of the surname McCluand. There are 9 M*Cluan* listings, but none is helpful. M*Clune is commoner, but there is no John listed between 1840 and 1846.

It's not helped by the fact that if you try to search phonetically, you get thousands of MacLeans! (Not that I am implying that the name is MacLean, just that it makes looking for MacCluand a lot more difficult.)

If he was in Australia for 54 years, and died aged 55, there is no point looking for him in a census. His father ought, in theory, to be listed in 1841, but it's finding the spelling that was used, without including MacLean, that is the big problem.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.