Author Topic: Cilcennin  (Read 2389 times)

Offline brohenwr14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cilcennin
« on: Friday 03 August 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  My great grandfathers first wife has been buried in Cilcennin, Eleanor Davies (no idea her maiden name) (lived in Ferryside) her husband would have been John E Davies (my great grandfather, again been living in Ferryside, last know'n address is Roberts Rest Ferryside with his second wife Mary) According to my father he would died roughly around 1960's and has been buried with his first wife Eleanor at Cilennin Church along with another Eleanor which we think is his daughter and his son called Edward. There is no mention of these names on the headstone (I've been up there) would these be in the parish records along with dates. My father is convinced they have been buried together.
Thanks in advance to any help.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cilcennin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 23:51 BST (UK) »
John Evans Davies' first wife's maiden name was also Davies(daughter of John Davies farmer).They were married in October 1914 when she was 29 and she died in October 1917.
Re your other post,I think I have reasonable census data on Edward Davies' family back to 1841.Have you traced this now following the previous post-if not,do you want it or would you prefer to search for this yourself?

Regards
Roger

Offline brohenwr14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
I haven't done anything today on my fathers' side of the family tree, i've been trying to help my mother on her side of the family tree. By the gravestone in Cilcennin, the first wife of J.E Davies died October 13 1917 32 year old so you'r right about Eleanor. Which John Davies farmer? So many John's in this family... it's confusing!! Yeah I would love the post.. as I have no clue at the moment, any help would be very greatful, as I'm just a beginner really with limited knowledge of my family tree. 

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
The identity of Eleanor's father John(farmer) is inevitably speculative at this stage.He is simply named as her father on the marriage certificate.The wedding,as the later one,was at St. Ishmael.The witnesses look like J.Davies(her father?),possibly H.Davies(a sister Hannah?-see below) and intriguingly,possibly,M.Thomas(his later second wife?).
Based on geography alone,with Eleanor being buried at Cilcennin,my speculation is that she is the daughter of John and Mary Davies,seen at Brynman,Llanbadarn Trefeglwys,Aberarth in the 1891 census

1891    4556  83  3 (siblings Hannah,Morgan,Eleanor,David)

There is an Eleanor Davies,given born Cilcennin 1885,in the 1901 census as a servant to David and Jane Jones at Monachty Bach,Llanbadarn Trefeglwys.

1901  5150  56  9
(Do you have acccess to census data and understand the reference numbers?)

Is it your understanding that Eleanor and Edward are daughter and son by this first marriage(and probably born 1915-1917 therefore?).
The parents of John Evans Davies appear to be Eleanor and Edward of course.......

I will post the census data re Edward Davies on the other thread,but that will probably be this evening.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
I have looked for burials of Eleanor and Edward Davies,the parents proposed for John Evans Davies in an attempt to clarify the Cilcennin position.Given their approx. births as per the census data(circa 1861,1860 respectively) and their birth place-Llandysul-the best match I can find is:-
Edward Davies 1860-1941
Eleanor Davies 1860-1924
both at Pantdefaid Unitarian Llandysul

Regards
Roger