Author Topic: St Nicholas Without - Dublin  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Nicholas Without - Dublin
« on: Saturday 04 August 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm new to be venturing into Dublin on my research trail but have found a hint that may be worth pursuing.

On www.irishgenealogy.ie  I have found two burial records for St Nicholas Without.  Details as follows:

1.  Christopher Behan of Francis Street on 23 December 1835 Age 64
2.  Ann Behan of Plunket Street on 25 January 1837 Age 74

All other details i.e. date of death and occupation are Not Recorded.

So where do I go from here.  I've done some reading about "St Nicholas Without" - all seems very complicated to me.  Can't find anything on familysearch.org and general "google" searches.

Haven't come across a cemetery as such other than a place called "Cabbage Garden"??

My aim here is to find out if the two persons above were husband and wife and if the wife's maiden name was "Dee".

Any guidance and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St Nicholas Without - Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
The parish these burials are registered in is the Church of Ireland parish of St. Nicholas without. This was a small parish and the church was St. Luke's, in the Coombe. The parish was united with the nearby parish of St. Luke's in 1861.

The church was closed about 1975 and is now derelict. The 'without' refers to the parish outside the old city walls - there was also a parish named St. Nicholas within. I think the cemetery adjacent to the church, or at least part of it, has been lost due to development.

Are you descended from Christopher or Anne - do you have any of their children's names and dates birth ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 12 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you shanew147 for your interest in my topic.

Dublin is a long shot for this family as I believe they originated in Tipperary, but who knows whether they  moved or not. 

Christopher Bayhen (also various spellings) and his wife Anne Dee had a daughter Anastasia born either 1802 or 1803 in Tipperary.  I believe they came from Clonoulty in Tipperary as on there headstone at the Melbourne General Cemetery this is quoted.

Anastasia married William Smithwick around 1822/1826 but unable to locate a marriage.

I was just on a hunch that maybe Christopher and Anne may have moved to Dublin.

Thank you for your response.
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzie, I noticed that you mention Francis Street Dublin! Forgive me if I am on wrong end of the stick- but St Nicholas of Myra is on that street. They are quite good there for look-up's  when I visited Dublin last year. Unfortuntly for me I was looking for info frm the sixties and they said they could not help, as people could still be alive. :'( Good Luck with your research.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline Suzannebe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
If anyone is looking for wedding photos of relatives that got married here from 1953 onwards, please contact me , happy to help, my grandfather owned the photo studio on the same street and took most of the wedding pictures here.