Author Topic: Boswell family Staffordshire, then Stockport  (Read 14744 times)

Offline carlbos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boswell family Staffordshire, then Stockport
« on: Sunday 05 August 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am trying to go back a generation in my search on the leg of my family that were travellers and I am having to  to take some stuff as OK purely on a best match and just wanted to run this by anyone who is willing to read and offer an opinion.

My search started with Mackantire Boswell who is my Great Grandfather. He is listed on the 1911 census (he is listed as Macey (which was a transcription error for Macky) Boswell there) as living in Stockport with his wife Annie Coates. I could find very very few details for Mackantire (lots of different spellings and abbreviations all tried). I did find a christening record for Ipstones, Staffs for 1886 which showed his parents as William and Lucy.

Question number 1: I also found a birth record for a Mark Boswell for 1886 for Ipstones Staffs. How likely do you think this is the same person?

Other searches for William and Lucy didn't yield much. I found them in the 1901 census living in Cheshire with several children but no mention of Mackintire or anything else that I thought could have been mistaken for him. William and Lucy turn up again with additional kids in the 1911 census. This time they are living 4 houses away from Mackintire and Annie in Stockport.

Question number 2: Is it reasonable to continue along this line of enquiry and assume that the other children listed are Mackintire's siblings?

I have lots of other details about Mackintire, including his military record files. I also believe there is a cemetery in Reddish, Stockport that contains many Boswell graves including a famous one which I now believe is linked to Mackintire. I am hoping that line of enquiry will tie up some loose ends because these traveller folk were not hot on consistency! :-)

Any ideas or suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boswell family Staffordshire, then Stockport
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have you searched here for burials...? (particularly Gorton Cemetery  - and possibly Southern Cemetery)
There are lots of Boswells listed

http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk

There is also Willow Grove in Reddish but that is not online

http://www.stockport.gov.uk/services/communitypeopleliving/birthsmarriagesdeaths/deathscemeteries/bereavementservs/cemsites/willowgrovecem

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carlbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Milly,

Thanks a lot for that. I didn't have the Manchester one so can add that one to my list now. :-)

I have got the Willow Grove one and am waiting for a list of the graves from them. Once I have them i am going to go for a wander.

Cheers,

Carl

Offline davidbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Carl,

I've heard of a McIntyre Boswell before, but I think there may be a couple.
I know of a McIntyre Boswell that married a Bridget Mary.
I live quite close to Gorton and Willow Grove cemeteries. I was wondering if the well known grave you talk of that is linked to your McIntyre was for a Phoenix Boswell by any chance?
If so, there's a good chance we're from the same stock of Boswell's that came to Stockport from the Staffs and Midland areas during the late 1800's.

Regards,

David Boswell.

Offline carlbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I found the "other" Mackintire too, the one who married Bridget and lived in Macclesfield. Mine is definitely the one who married Annie Coates and lived in Stockport.  :)

I am starting to think there is a link to the well known Phoenix (Buller) Boswell grave because I have found some records that suggest one of Mackintire's brothers became known as George Vernon Buller Boswell. I'm yet to get that far forward in my research though. I have been in touch with a group of volunteers that look after different cemeteries in Stockport and they are going to send me a list of all the Boswell graves in Willow Grove.
There is also a link to burials there for the Gibson family who married into the Boswell family in the 1920's.

I live in Oldham but am from Stockport and my parents live right next to Willow grove so I intend having a good look around to see what other clues I can find.

The Boswell links I have found so far take it back to Staffs where Mackintire was baptised and got married.

I haven't got much but can share any info I have with you if it would help.

Best regards,

Carl

Offline davidbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 12 23:28 BST (UK) »
Carl,

Does the name Parthenia Jones mean anything to you?

Offline carlbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

On the 1901 census there is a Parthena Boswell showing as the daughter of William and Lucy which would make her Mackintire's sister. WHen I look at the handwritten copy of the form it could be Parthenia. They were living in caravans and tents in Cheshire at the time. I haven't tracked it forward so odon't know if she became Parthenia Jones.

Name Age
William Boswell 35
Lucy Boswell 32
Martha Boswell 15
William Boswell 8
Timothy Boswell 6
George V Boswell 3
Parthena Boswell 15
Grimalda Boswell 10

Carl

Offline davidbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Carl,

I have a section of a family tree that has a connection to the names you posted above.
In your list you have William and Lucy with 6 kids. The one I have has 10.
The extra names are Ernest, Gladis, Marcus (McIntyre?) and Elvira. All born later than the others.
All include birth dates.
Plus the names of the parents of William and Lucy.
I think the connection I have to this tree is through a marriage to Parthenia to my grt granfathers brother, George Boswell.
I can't be 100% sure of this info as it's an area of the family I've not got round to paying much attention to as yet, but I'm happy to share it with you so you can use it as a start point for your own research.

I believe your tree and my own are linked. Perhaps Parthenia and George were cousins. I'm not sure? Certainly not uncommon.

Then there's a possible link (it'd be daft to ignore it) with your Phoenix "Buller" Boswell buried at Willow Grove and another well known Phoenix Boswell buried a few miles north at Gorton.
The Phoenix buried at Gorton is the brother of my X4 grt grandad, William Boswell.
If you've not seen it already you can read about Phoenix in this article here...http://www.gypsygenealogy.co.uk/showarticle.php?article_id=38

Regards,

David.

Offline carlbos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

I have the other names in the 1911 census, well, all but Elvira. Where did you get Elvira from and do you have a birth year for her?

The Marcus that you mentioned couldn't be Mackintire because Mackintire married Annie Coates in 1904.

1911 census
William Boswell   56
Lucy Boswell   45
William Boswell   20
Timothy Boswell   16
George Vermon Boswell   15
Esmerelda Boswell   11
Ernest Boswell   9
Gladis Boswell   7
Marcus Boswell   2
According to this census return all of the kids are listed as sons or daughters.

I suspect there is a link between our trees given the similarities uncovered already from comparing so few details. I am yet to spend a lot of time on this leg of my tree and don;t know how far I will get given the poor record keeping, but I will definitely keep you posted.

I saw your message on the other site with the link to your info. Thanks for that. I am suspecting a link to Phoenix Buller Boswell somewhere, given that George Vernon Buller Boswell was Mackintire's brother but I am yet to verify that in any way.

Regards,

Carl