Author Topic: Archibald Nicol, Harbour Master, Rothesay, mid 1800's. Any information?  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Scotchprofessor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
People on here are capable of some wonderful tips and information, so I wonder if anyone would be able to help. I'll looking back at 'Nicol' ancestors in Bute. One specifically was harbour master in Rothesay in the 1830's, 40's and 50's. He was born Archibald Nicol in Bute in 1777, and died in the town in 1859.

Ideally, I'd appreciate any knowledge of the job in that place and at that time. Equally, if anyone has any ideas for records to browse, more specific to his job than the OPR records or census forms, that would be great.

Thanks.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Nicol, Harbour Master, Rothesay, mid 1800's. Any information?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotchprofessor

The particular line of information you are looking for is likely to be best to research from local archives and resources to be able to give you a real perspective of 'the job'.

Some info here www.butesonsanddaughters.co.uk/pier.shtml

From what you say, you have the BMD info and census data for the family. MI info here www.clanmcalister.org/srp-old/srp-cr3-arran-bute-cemetary-inscriptions.html - but likely you also have this already.

Some details here on the develpments of the harbour http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/281519/details/bute+rothesay+albert+place+inner+harbour/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scotchprofessor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Nicol, Harbour Master, Rothesay, mid 1800's. Any information?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 12 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Monica. The development of the harbour was interesting, and trying to match that to the timeline of when steamships were gradually replacing their sail-powered equivalents.

I'm off to Bute in a couple of weeks, and I'll be able to check their local records. Thanks again.