Author Topic: Green - Normanton  (Read 5789 times)

Offline barbz2119

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Green - Normanton
« on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:46 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace my paternal g-g-grandfather, and believe he may have been born in Normanton, Rutland.  I've been looking at the wrong Normanton until yesterday when a member on here suggested Rutland!
John Green was born abt 1796 as his gravestone shows he died 21 Oct 1838 age 42 in Rothwell Northants.  He married a Mary ? from Tallington Lincs.
If anyone is able to find any information on him or his parents, that would be grat in helping me knock down my brick wall!
Regards
Barbz

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Green - Normanton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbz

Did you ever find out more about your John Green?

I also have ancestors that seem to have come from the Normanton area (not the name Green though). Did you know that in the 18th century the village was cleared to make a park? for the estate of the Heathcote family. The population was mainly re-housed in Empingham. Not the break-through you are looking for, but maybe it'll help in some way.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/rutland/vol2/pp86-88
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbz2119

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Green - Normanton
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angelfish, I think I may have...finally! His marriage record said Normanton, but I did a search of Rothwell Northants where he is buried and found records of a registration in Kettering which just may be him. I did know about the move of the village I live a couple hours away and took a trip to Rutland records office and had a chat with the historian there. So many twists and turns! I hope you are having luck with your search.