Author Topic: Messach Prothero, Pembroke, 1811-1847  (Read 7374 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Messach Prothero, Pembroke, 1811-1847
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Maglynne

Maybe if you have time,have a good hunt round the Grave Yards.

Its amazing ,if lucky enough to find Ancestors,the info found on Headstones.

Kind Regards

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Lynfa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 December 12 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Maglynne

I am new to Rootschat, only joining due our shared ancestry. Meshach Protheroe is my great great great grandfather.

I am connected from Meshach via his son Levi to his son Thomas Protheroe to my grandfather William Henry Protheroe. You are descended from Levi's younger brother Jonathan from Bedlinog, is that correct?

I first started researching in the good old days of microfiche and looking back think I might have jumped to conclusions as I have never been able to substantiate some of my conjecture. 

Anyway, as you already know Levi married Martha Thomas (I have his birth certificate, and their marriage cert etc). We know from this that his parents were Meshach Protheroe and Elizabeth Protheroe nee Prosser. I can see from your early posts that you found her original marriage.  I was unable to get any further back except for someone who I think may be Meshach's brother - Moses christened in Trefgarn, Haverfordwest in 1822, found in the 1841 census in St Lawrence, Pembs as an Ag Lab on a farm.  Moses marries a Mary Morris in 1843 and this certificate shows his father to be a Thomas Protheroe a Labourer in Pems.  Thomas can be found with wife Dinah (whom I believe to be Dinah Roach) on the 1841 census also.   I think my conjecture was due to the family names. Meshach called his children Thomas and Moses and some connections I found visiting St David's. I now need to do more digging into Moses as he is down as being baptised in 1822 which would mean his mother Dinah would have been 48yrs - hmm!! unless he was baptised in later life??

I visited St Davids, Trefgarn and Brwdy visiting a number of grave yards but this was so long ago I have forgotten if I had any leads.  I do have pics of the Rhodiad and Ebernezer Independent Chapel (they were sister chapels) if you want them and an account of its history. I also have pics of William Henry Protheroe b 1910 and Thomas b 1865 and his wife Sophia if you are interested.

Anyway, I am not sure if I've helped or hindered but am very interested to learn more about your side of the family and hopefully we can share any new finds.  Sooooo exciting.

Many Thanks
Lynfa

Offline Maglynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 December 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Lynfa, lovely to hear from you.  Levi is my Great Great Grandfather, is he your GG Grandfather too? I have found Family History very interesting.  Didn't they have large families. I don't know how to go further back than Messach.  I found this difficult also because of the various spellings of Protheroe and Messach.  I would like to go down to Pembroke next year to see the area in which they lived.  Am I correct in thinking they worked on a farm? Messach was only about 35 when he died? I can only find his wife Elizabeth as far as the 1851 census and don't know what happened to her after that? The names Elizabeth, Martha, Thomas and Jonathan seem to be repeated in the Protheroe family.  My grandmother's name was Martha. Any information you would like to share with me would be most appreciated. Thank you.  Lynne

Offline Maglynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 December 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynfa, not sure if you saw my post in answer to your. Thanks for getting in touch

Offline Lynfa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 December 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne.

So sorry for the delay, my computer had to go back - Windows 8!!!!!!. I will try and do some more research when I am off work over Xmas.  I will also attach some pics of Thomas and William and will send Ebeneezer Chapel shortly.

Pics of my grandfather William Henry Protheroe b 1910 at 10 Bryn Cottages, Dowlais is with his wife Levia nee Davies and his father Thomas Protheroe born 1865 at 10 Nightingale St, Merthyr Tydfil is with Sophia nee Smith. His father Levi born 1837 looks to have had a hard life still working in 1911. Looking at his history he certainly witnessed a lot coming from the land into the center of the Industrial revolution losing parents and siblings at a young age. He must have been made of tough stuff.

Have you got any further? Very excited to share anything new.
Cheers Lynfa.

Offline Maglynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 December 12 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynfa, thank you for sharing your family photos.  Unfortunately, I don't have any old photos to share with you.  I shall have to have a look through my dad's photos to see if he has any of my grandmother and her brothers and sisters but that will be as far back as they go.  I believe Levi died in Bedlinog. Is that correct.  I have a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk. Do you have a family tree on any of the websites. I subscribed to Ancestry.co.uk for 6 months and unfortunately the 6 months has come to an end and I have to decide if I want to carry on the subscription. Do you know what happened to Messach's wife. I have been unable to trace her. Nor have I been able to go back further than Messach.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I've just seen this thread.
There's a 'Mesach' in the St Davids Parish Baptism Register - I'm just mentioning him as it's an unusual name, and he might be an ancestor of your chap?
 It says - Mesiach Morgan son of David, a Quaker: baptism dated 1737, and Mesiach is '14 years' - intriguing!
A further entry in 1759 shows the baptism of Elizabeth Morgan, daughter of Mysach and Lettis Morgan of Harglodd - [this is NE of the city, on the way to Caerfarchell]. Elizabeth later marries into the shoemaker Perkins family in St Davids.

Good luck, Elaine

Offline MattB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 September 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching this family line for a friend, who is the GGG Grandson of Levi, via his son Thomas and his son, Thomas Philip.

Grateful for any further information anyone may have.

Also, in 1867, a William Protheroe, who had a brother John, was tried in Merthyr for murder. There are detailed newspaper reports and I wondered if he was linked to the family?

Matt
Follow me on twitter @7oaksww1 or please visit sevenoaksww1.org